Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.3a upgrade via bash

6.3a upgrade via bash

Well I got the 6.3a update without ever calling in and here were my steps so people dont ask how to do it. tivo commands in bold make sure you make files executable with chmod 755 <file or directory> when you move/upload/copy them as I havent stated in all the steps that you need to chmod them

1) Do you have the slices? If yes go to step 2 otherwise:

either wait for slices or get a script called add63.tcl upload it to your tivo make sure before you upload you mount the tivo so its rw:

mount -o remount,rw /

upload add63.tcl to your hacks dir and execute

/hacks/add63.tcl

wait till the next morning and you should have the slices.

2) if you didnt do step 1 make sure your tivo is rw:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    edit the /tvbin/installSw.itcl file with:

find: exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages >&@ stdout
    change to: exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout

and

find: reboot
    change to: exit 0

3) run the new installSw.itcl file

installSw.itcl 6.3a-01-2-357

4) its going to flip the root so check with bootpage:

bootpage -p

remember the root. Its either /dev/hda7 or /dev/hda4

5) if root=/dev/hda7 type:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda6 bs=1024k
    if root=/dev/hda4 type:
    dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/dev/hda3 bs=1024k

6)Assuming new root is /dev/hda7 for the rest of the steps:
    we are going to copy everything from our old 3.1.5f partition
    and edit some stuff for networking to work
    cd /
    mount /dev/hda7 /mnt
    mkdir /mnt/hack
    cd /hack/
    mv * /mnt/hack
    chmod 755 /mnt/hack
    cd /mnt
    cp /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.* /mnt/etc/rc.d
    mv /mnt/sbin/dhclient /mnt/sbin/dhclient.orig
    cd /mnt/sbin
    mv iptables iptables.old
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    chmod 755 iptables

7)edit the rc.sysinit.author file in new partition to comment out the insmod statements and network information and add this netconfig.tcl line to rc.sysinit.author:

/hack/bin/netconfig.tcl <IP> <Subnet mask> <gateway> <dns>
    ie.
    /hack/bin/netconfig.tcl 192.168.1.204 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1

now make sure you upload netconfig.tcl to your /hack/bin dir and make it executable

8) editing the tivoapp:

cd /mnt/tvbin
    mv tivoapp tivoapp63.orig
    cp tivoapp63.orig tivoapp
    chmod 766 tivoapp

If i want to disable encryption I can do:

echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=1602412

30 second skip this is for 6.3a if you use 6.3 you need to change the seek #:

echo -ne "\x10\x40\x00\x2b" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6713220

Backdoors:

echo -ne "\x24\x10\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=2804900

to get fixsub.tcl working do:

replace: dbobj $ssobj set Complete 7

with: try { dbobj $ssobj set Complete 7 } catch junk { }

9) finish and reboot:

umount /mnt/
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot

10) pray it works otherwise you need to use your serial cable or put hd in pc

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

6.x/HR10-250 Collected info/tips (NO SUPPORT QUESTIONS)

6.3 discussion thread
    Last edited by cokekid; 10-04-2006 at 02:49 PM.

You've got a typo in step 2.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks. Fixed.

Incorrect Command

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    You've got a typo in step 2.

PlainBill
    Any pointers would be greatly appriciated

Should be
    exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout
    Entered
    exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $ name >&@ stdout

I enterd the statement with a extra space and am in a complete reboot cycle. I am going to pull my drives and correct the entry any other pointers?

Jay
    Last edited by jayazusa; 09-25-2006 at 12:53 PM.
    • TiVo_0 - Hughes HDVR2 6.2 Single 120GB Retired
    • TiVo_1 - Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 Dual 160GB
    • TiVo_2 - Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 Dual 160GB
    • TiVo_4 - Hughes HR10-250 3.1.5F Dual 250GB

All Running: Tivo Web Plus 1.2.1, MFS FTP, Elseed, EndPadPlus, Cron, Vserver and TyTools

Quote Originally Posted by jayazusa View Post
    Any pointers would be greatly appriciated

Should be
    exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout
    Entered
    exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $ name >&@ stdout

I enterd the statement with a extra space and am in a complete reboot cycle. I am going to pull my drives and correct the entry any other pointers?

Jay
    First of all, the second paragraph of this post by alldeadhomiez should be taken to heart.

Also, troubleshooting boot problems without consulting a serial console output or the kernel log has been compared to searching for a black cat in a totally dark room while the cat is hiding in the closet of the next room.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I've been absent from the tivo hacking scene for a while now, and need some clarification...

I'm running 6.2-01-2-301 on my Series 2 DirecTivo, a Phillips DSR704.

Can I put 6.3a on this box, or is 6.3a strictly for HD DirecTivo boxen?
    DSR704 6.2
    250GB 16MB Cache Maxtor
    TivoWebPlus,HMO/MRV,
    USB2.0,10/100bT Networked.

6.2 is the latest version for your DirecTivo

Quote Originally Posted by fl0yd View Post
    6.2 is the latest version for your DirecTivo
    Thanks. That's what I was gathering from my reading on this and the *OTHER* forum.
    DSR704 6.2
    250GB 16MB Cache Maxtor
    TivoWebPlus,HMO/MRV,
    USB2.0,10/100bT Networked.

Console Output

First of all, the second paragraph of this post by alldeadhomiez should be taken to heart.

Also, troubleshooting boot problems without consulting a serial console output or the kernel log has been compared to searching for a black cat in a totally dark room while the cat is hiding in the closet of the next room.

PlainBill
    I was able to get the following console output and have been searching for two days so far looking at what is failing I am unable to narrow it down.

I have commented out almost the entire rc.sysinit.author I hav reverted back to my original tivoapp.

I am still unsucessfull at rebooting. I actually got a green screen saying it was recovering from a fatal error but it did not recover.

Is it possible to recover the os partition only hda7 or hda4 and would that preserve the recordings?

Jay
    Attached Files Attached Files

All Running: Tivo Web Plus 1.2.1, MFS FTP, Elseed, EndPadPlus, Cron, Vserver and TyTools

If searches haven't turned up the cause, it's beyond my capabilities. Perhaps someone wiser than I am can analyse the dump. I wouldn't try anything drastic just yet.

PlainBill

ddrescue

If searches haven't turned up the cause, it's beyond my capabilities. Perhaps someone wiser than I am can analyse the dump. I wouldn't try anything drastic just yet.

PlainBill
    Bill,

Have you used ddrescue I am thinking if I replace hda4 with contents from hda4 on good drive flip the bootpage from hda7 to hda4 it would boot?

Just getting nervous, trying to recover a bunch of recordings.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jayazusa View Post
    I was able to get the following console output and have been searching for two days so far looking at what is failing I am unable to narrow it down.

I have commented out almost the entire rc.sysinit.author I hav reverted back to my original tivoapp.

I am still unsucessfull at rebooting. I actually got a green screen saying it was recovering from a fatal error but it did not recover.

Is it possible to recover the os partition only hda7 or hda4 and would that preserve the recordings?

Jay
    The very first time you rebooted (after running installSw.itcl) -- did you get a screen on your Tivo that said a software update was in progress?

If no, then you should be able to flip the bootpage back and boot up under 3.1.5f.

If yes, then you're probably screwed -- at the very least you'd need someone with a working box to dd up a root partition for you.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    The very first time you rebooted (after running installSw.itcl) -- did you get a screen on your Tivo that said a software update was in progress?

If no, then you should be able to flip the bootpage back and boot up under 3.1.5f.

If yes, then you're probably screwed -- at the very least you'd need someone with a working box to dd up a root partition for you.

I ran installSw.itcl it rebooted it when done modifing the system. It rebooted to 3.1.5f just on the new partition, that is when I found this thread refrencing changing the installSw.itcl.
    edit the /tvbin/installSw.itcl file with:

find: exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages >&@ stdout
    change to: exec /var/utils/updateroot /dev/hda /install /var/packages $name >&@ stdout

I performed the change with a typo between "$ name" part of the way thru the rerun the box rebooted and has not gotten past the "a few more seconds"

I guess I can dd from the virgin image to the impacted drive.

My current boot is /dev/hda7 so I am thinking of doing the following to restore any input would be appriciate this.

dd if=/dev/hdb7 of=/dev/hdc4

where /dev/hdb is my virgin 3.1.5f drive mounted in my PC and /dev/hdc is my failing drive mounted in my PC.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

If you do this, make sure you change /etc/fstab to reflect the different partition.

I don't have an HR10-250, but the upgrade process from 3.1.5f to 6.3 appears to be identical to the upgrade from 3.1.1e to 6.2 on SD receivers. From memory, here is what happened:

1. Edit installSw.itcl to add $name and change 'reboot' to 'exit 0'
    2. Run installw.itcl, specifying the name of the software version to be installed.
    3. Install hacks on the new partition and replace the new kernel with a killhdinitrd one.
    4. Reboot. After the 'Powering up, please wait' screen, a new screen appears, informing you the upgrade is in progress and will take about an hour.
    5. After something less than an hour, the system reboots again, and goes through the usual boot process, acquires data from the satellite, etc.

If you never got the 'upgrading' screen in step 4, replacing your software partition MIGHT work. I would suggest a slightly different approach: Pull the drive and compare the dates of the software in partitions 4 and 7. In my experience with upgrading to 6.2, if the $name parameter was not inserted, the software installation did not proceed. Post the creation dates of tivoapp in each partition. That might give a clue as to what is happening.

PlainBill

I feel bad.. Sorry jayazusa. I looked it over and thought I caught every error.. I guess not I do hope that you can get your tivo back in order... Is it possible that you could connect the tivo hd to the pc and mount the 3.1.5 drive and edit the installSw file again and re-run the installSw file and have it redo the stuff again?

I do hope you get it working.

Steps above are ok now and should be fine...