Thread: Unable to get new guide data

Unable to get new guide data

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I have a Series II with a lifetime subscription. I've had it for a number of years now. I've now run out of guide data and am unable to get it to download new. I use a USB network device to access the server and this has been working fine for years. I know I am on the network because I can ping the Tivo from other PCs on the network and also when I use the Tivo menu to "connect to network now", this always works. I've restarted the Tivo multiple times and have even cleared all stored data and tried resetting up. Generally when I check the network settings, it will show "Pending Restart". I restart and when it comes back up, no luck.

Here's where I think part (if not all) of the problem is. My software version is: 4.0.1b-02-2-240. This problem occurred once before many months ago. At that time, I contacted Tivo and they said their system showed multiple attempts to download updated software. Each attempt failed. They could only suggest that I return the unit and pay for a replacement for a lot more money than I want to spend on this. Later after many days, the guide data replenished. Now the problem has come back.

Has anyone ever seen a problem like this before? Any suggeststions to get it to update the guide data? Any suggestions to get it to update my software version? I'm not that concerned about the software version since what I have does all I need. However, if it is what is holding up the guide data, perhaps I need to address this.

Thanks in advance for any help someone can give.

Craig

Tivo's that aren't running latest software will eventually no longer get guide daa. Tivo likes to make sure folks are running the latest software.
    If it won't update on it's own, I suggest finding an image of the latest software from either the begging thread, or perhaps ptvupgrade.

Since you're asking here, I assume your unit is hacked. You probably set "upgradesoftware=false" in the boot config. That will prevent an upgrade, and consequently the tivo will eventually stop getting guide data. You need to let it take the upgrade, then re-hack the unit.

I suggest finding an image of the latest software from either the begging thread, or perhaps ptvupgrade.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've been holding off on doing an upgrade since this old version works and I've been nervous of risking it. Sounds like it is time.

Over to the begging thread I go.

Craig

Keep in mind, as a standalone unit you may already have the latest OS update stored in MFS. You can check by telnetting to your Tivo and using something like the following:

Code:
    # echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
    If you get something like the following, you already have the necessary software ready to go. Check the threads for in-place upgrade and editing installSw.itcl. You'll also need an updated 'hacked' kernel for the newer system releases (see killhdinitrd).

Code:
    Directory of /SwSystem starting at ''

Name                      Type        FsId      Date  Time   Size    
        ----                      ----        ----      ----  ----   ----    
        7.3.1-oth-01-2-140        tyDb     1301567  08/29/06 17:34    868    
        ACTIVE                    tyDb     1301567  08/29/06 17:34    868
    If you're willing to re-do all your season passes, you can force a guide update by going through Guided Setup again. Then you'll need to delete any lingering season passes and set them up again. Eventually, the guide will run out again.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 09-25-2006 at 10:54 AM.

You probably set "upgradesoftware=false" in the boot config.
    Keep in mind, as a standalone unit you may already have the latest OS update stored in MFS.
    Both great suggestions of where to look. Yes I did hack it quite a while back. Right about the time of version 4.0.1 I'm sure.

I did go through the guided setup again by selecting the menu to clear everything.

Thanks for the input.

Craig

I wanted to close out this thread by saying my issue was as suggested here. After doing the command
    Code:
    echo mls /SwSystem | tivosh
    I saw that the newest version was on the TiVo "waiting". To make it easy on myself, I simply installed this. I lost my hacks, but for now, that is OK.

Thanks to all for their help.

Craig

Probably not the SW Version

I've got a 4.0.1b system that is still getting guide data.

Quote Originally Posted by chrised View Post
    I've got a 4.0.1b system that is still getting guide data.
    Are you running 4.0.1b on a standalone tivo? On a dtivo, you'll guide the guide data from the SAT, but on a standalone, tivo has to send it to you.