Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for Signal after 6.3a upgrade

Searching for Signal after 6.3a upgrade

A couple of days ago I received the 6.3a update from DTV on my HR10-250 receiver with the oval 3LNB dish. Since the update, I get searching for signal message, but it depends on which channels I have each tuner set to. I have noticed this only affects the HD channels which get the message when the opposite tuner is on a SD channel. For example, I can have both turners set to HD feeds such as 509 (HBO HD) on one and 543 (SHOW HD) on the other and they both come in just fine. If I change the channel on either tuner to a non-HD feed, like 501 or any other SD feed, then I get the searching for signal message for the tuner I didn’t change the channel on. On the signal meter, I have excellent reception for all 3 sat's so that is defiantly not the problem, that and the fact it was working perfectly before the update.

I spent several hours on the phone with DTV tech support and reset the box, went through guided setup several times, still no change. I was trying to convince them that this just happened after getting the 6.3a update, so it has to be a software issue, but they refused to believe it. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Thanks!

I do get a couple seconds of that while it tries to lock on to the signal, which it does and then it goes away. It never used to do that before, but since it only lasts for 2 - 3 seconds for me it's no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_zorg View Post
    I do get a couple seconds of that while it tries to lock on to the signal, which it does and then it goes away. It never used to do that before, but since it only lasts for 2 - 3 seconds for me it's no big deal.
    I have seen this as well since 6.3a

I see this on OTA channels, a brief flash of the 'searching for signal' message. I have not seen this on sat channels however. Have anyone else experienced this? This began at the 6.3 upgrade...
    LS
    1 x HR20, Best of the HD boxes
    1 x HR21 / AM21 Slower than Moses' grandma.
    1 x HR22, Better, but..
    1 x HDVR2, Getting old like me.
    1 x Beagle

Quote Originally Posted by louiss3000 View Post
    I see this on OTA channels, a brief flash of the 'searching for signal' message. I have not seen this on sat channels however. Have anyone else experienced this? This began at the 6.3 upgrade...
    Yep, on OTA only. Doesn't seem to affect anything.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Same here

I see it also on OTA. They need to fix it ! It never happened prior to the 6.3 and 6.3a updates. It does matter, I bet the kernel or tv logs have entries for each of these "hiccups" Between this and the audio dropouts they need to get their "****" together and correct it !

I just did a quick double check and it is happening with my OTA channels as well. It’s like certain HD and SD combinations on the tuners knock out the signals for some reason. They have a tech coming out on Friday and it’s going to be interesting to see what they think they will be able to do. I’ll post the results here afterwards. Funny thing, when I was on the phone with them the other day, the rep mentioned the upgrade offer for 99.00 to which I replied, “yeah right…I’m going to send you more money for this kind of service? Are you crazy?” That pretty much ended the discussion on that subject.

Update

Well, had the Direct TV service call today and after showing the guy what was happening, he agreed with me that is was probably due to the upgrade and unfortunately there was nothing he could do but call it in. After waiting on the phone for what seemed like forever, he finally talked to someone in advanced technical support and the only thing they said they could do was send me out another box. I asked if it would be another HR10-250, they said “most likely”. The tech also let me know that he had seen this problem at other locations several times and replacing the box was all they could do. Unbelievable. Well, I guess I’ll just have to see what shows up on the doorstep in the days to come.

I took the 6.3a upgrade this weekend. Now the tivo hangs at "aquiring guide info" 0%. After that screen fails and dumps you to "tivo central" I checked the sat signal strength and I'm getting no (or limited) signal on the following sats/transponders.

Sat 101 Transponders 2, 28
    Sat 119 Transponders 23, 25, 27(40%), 29, 31(40%)

I'm not sure if this is related to the upgrade, or something else, but it seems like an odd coincidence. Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? It seems to be a more exptreme version of the original posters problem.

Just a quick update before I head out on a business trip. On the advice of the DTV tech, (which was really a contractor and not an employee of DTV) I did a “reformat” which consisted of selecting the delete everything option under the setup menu and waited the 2 hours for it to complete. After it came up with everything wiped from the system, I started going though all the processes and checked the signal. Still the same thing. If I am on 509 on one tuner, then switch to a non-HD channel on the other tuner, I lose the signal on the previous tuner. Does not matter which tuner I’m on, still the same scenario. The ‘new’ box came today, but I won’t have time to test it until Friday, which I will then post an update afterwards. Any bets on the outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Diverbryan View Post
    Just a quick update before I head out on a business trip. On the advice of the DTV tech, (which was really a contractor and not an employee of DTV) I did a “reformat” which consisted of selecting the delete everything option under the setup menu and waited the 2 hours for it to complete. After it came up with everything wiped from the system, I started going though all the processes and checked the signal. Still the same thing. If I am on 509 on one tuner, then switch to a non-HD channel on the other tuner, I lose the signal on the previous tuner. Does not matter which tuner I’m on, still the same scenario. The ‘new’ box came today, but I won’t have time to test it until Friday, which I will then post an update afterwards. Any bets on the outcome?
    FWIW, I did the clear and delete everything last night, no dice. So tonight, I restored a 3.1.5f image and everything is back to normal. I'll see if I get 6.3a tonight and I'll try upgrading again. Fingers crossed I guess.

I also noticed that those same sat/transponders have the same reading in 3.1.5f as they did in 6.3a and I have no ill effects. I'm baffled.

I got the 6.3a slices last night, and upgraded just a moment ago. The TiVo can no longer get a sat signal, and I'm hosed again.. I guess I'll try to find 6.3 slices and go to that version since all seemed to work. If anyone happened to save the 6.3 slices, not 6.3a please send me a PM, I'd be very greatful.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan94z View Post
    I got the 6.3a slices last night, and upgraded just a moment ago. The TiVo can no longer get a sat signal, and I'm hosed again.. I guess I'll try to find 6.3 slices and go to that version since all seemed to work. If anyone happened to save the 6.3 slices, not 6.3a please send me a PM, I'd be very greatful.
    Isn't 6.3 still on your alternate partition? I've switched back and forth between 6.3 and 6.3a several times now by just flipping the bootpage.

I was a bit overzealous, and restored a backup of 3.1.5f, so 6.3 is gone.

Confirmed software problem

Pretty much confirmed that the problem I’m having is NOT hardware related today. Hooked up the new HR10-250 and called DTV to have it activated. Everything was working perfectly and checked the software on the box and it was 3.1.5. In order to rule out the hardware, I swapped the hard drives on the unit with my original one that has the 6a upgrade and got the same problem with the new box. I’m hoping that something went wrong with the update on the old box and when the new box gets the 6a upgrade, I will not have the same problem. Now I’ll just have to wait for the 6a upgrade to come down again…after I make a copy of the 3.1.5 before it gets whacked of course.