Thread: Tivo Series 3 $699 with free shipping Google Checkout

Hybrid View

Tivo Series 3 $699 with free shipping Google Checkout

I must admit I stole this into from the tivocommunity.com forum but why should they get all the best deals? All you need to do is go http://store.onlygps.com/-strse-398/...ies/Detail.bok and scroll down till you see the google checkout button, click it and you will get a new series 3 for $699 shipped. or you can checkout the thread at tivocommunity here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=320690. I ordered one on thursday and got my ups tracking the same day, I also e-mail them and they said they had 12 left as of yesterday but they were getting in 72 more this week.

Costco had them for $599 on their website last time I checked.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

DVRUpgrade will have a $200 rebate for fathers day starting around 5/27.

Anyone still reading this thread might be interested to know that regular series 3 are now $512.94 at tivo.com

Tivo has just released the new Tivo HD model for only $299 that does pretty much everything the S3 Tivo can do. The only major difference I've seen so far is that the Tivo HD doesn't have any front panel controls so you can only access the menus via your remote. It also comes with the standard S2 Tivo peanut remote instead of the fancy black one that ships with the S3. The best feature is that the cablecards are inserted from the front behind a hidden panel for easier setup than the S3. One caveat is that slot 1 is located on the right and slot 2 is on the left instead of using the normal convention of going from left to right. I think sales of the S3 are going to drop off considerably after the Tivo HD takes off so get ready to look for some clearance prices on the S3. OTOH, with the Tivo HD priced at only $299, I don't see why anyone would bother with the S3 anymore.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Another major difference is the Series3 has THX-certified audio which the Tivo HD does not.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    Another major difference is the Series3 has THX-certified audio which the Tivo HD does not.
    Smaller intenal hard drive, no big deal. The components are considerably different, which will likely have future impact. Well documented at TCF.

I doubt that most people will be able to tell the difference. The decision to drop THX certification was intentional and designed to help lower the costs. Chances are it would pass certification anyway but then they'd probably have to pay hefty fees to get it certified and then pay royalties to include the THX logo.

The smaller hard drive should be of no concern to anyone here since most of us pull the stock drives and put in larger ones right off the bat. The internal components may be different but it has been reported that the EEPROM is the same as the S3. If you were able to get your S3 hacked then the Tivo HD should be a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    The THX logo is absolutely meaningless on digital content if you use digital connections to your audio receiver as the audio is pretty much lossless from the cable company/digital terrestrial signal to your receiver, as I would imagine most S3 owners are doing. Even the cheaper audio receivers support that as well, so it isn't as if that is a difficult to obtain capability.

The THX logo only means something if your tivo converts the digital signal to analog prior to it going to your preamp. But if this is the case, then you are likely getting audio inferior to that of a digital connection as its pretty safe to bet that even the cheaper home theater receivers will generally have better digital to analog conversion hardware than a tivo will.

That said, THX certification is pretty much worthless on any CE device except audio receivers and speakers themselves.

Even then, that is also debatable as if your audio system isn't calibrated to your room correctly (and most of the time those auto-calibration features come pretty close...but still no cigar) then you aren't really getting the "best" (as it were) regardless.

That also said, THX certification itself is mostly worthless to the home user unless they actually hire a THX engineer to come out and calibrate their equipment like real theaters do. Unless of course, you yourself were certified to do that, but then if you were, you wouldn't need a THX logo to tell you whether or not the equipment you are buying is really going to sound good or not.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 07-30-2007 at 02:44 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?