Thread: Upgrade TyTool

Upgrade TyTool

Hi

I brought a new Hard drive for my UK Series 1 Tivo and it had TyTools already installed. Problem is the version is 9r18 and I would like to upgrade it to the latest version.
    I can't work out how to do this as it mentions the NowShowing file is no longer needed. I thought I would just replace the exsisting server file, but as I don't know how to stop the service it won't let me.
    My other concern is, could just replacing the file with the newer software cause me problems when I restart the Tivo?

I'd rename the old tserver file to something like tserver.old and then upload the new file. If there's a problem, you can always put the old one back.

My understanding is that the new tserver incorporates a more robust NowShowing code within itself, now. You can also read the thread for unified mfs tools, which includes a link to all the 'modern' versions of tserver and vserver, for both Series-1 and Series-2 machines.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 10-21-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks. Any idea how I stop the program so it will let me rename the file?

Its been a long time since I worked on a Series-1. If you have the ps tool installed you should be able to kill the process-id with extreme prejudice (i.e. kill -9 ). Failing that, I'm pretty sure that tserver is simply loaded from a startup script, such as /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author -- you can edit the file to put a hash mark (#) in front to comment it out, then reboot the TiVo.

Cheers. I will maybe give it a try if I get brave enough.
    I hate the fact in the UK we are stuck with Series 1 Tivo boxes. We want series 3's