Thread: SATA to IDE Adapter?

SATA to IDE Adapter?

Id like to add 1 or 2 750GB drives to my HDTivo. In the situation that Id like to take these drives out in the future to use with a PC, I would like them to be SATA drives. Is it possible to use an SATA drive on a Tivo if I use an IDE adaptor. I dont see why not, other than a 2 drive setup may not be possible because I may not be able to set the adapters up as slave/master. Any insight? thanks

I'm currently using this adapter to run a WD 500 SATA drive. I like the WD because its quieter and cooler than the seagates.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16812206001

I've had it installed about a few weeks now. No problems so far.

I benchmarked it in my PC first, and found no difference in performance going through the adapter vs using my SATA (150) mobo connection.

Thanks for the link. I just picked up one of these.

They are $6.00 on ebay plus $5.00 shipping.

Just be carefull of the direction. Most allow IDe devices on SATA ports, which isnt what we want here.

What Id like to figure out is how to arrange a slave drive with one of these adaptors.
    Last edited by necrolop; 10-22-2006 at 02:01 PM.

The adapter I provided a link for has a master-slave jumper on it. While I haven't tried it, it should allow you to buy two of these and use them both in the Tivo.

I've also seen a card that "plugs into the mobo and provides two SATA connections". Unfortunately, that appears to be too tall.

http://www.usb-ware.com/ide-sata-har...ter-bridge.htm

Perhaps a creative individual could get a male to female IDE cable and then you could even arrange to get external SATA connector and use an external drive..

Quote Originally Posted by chrised View Post
    I'm currently using this adapter to run a WD 500 SATA drive. I like the WD because its quieter and cooler than the seagates.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16812206001

I've had it installed about a few weeks now. No problems so far.

I benchmarked it in my PC first, and found no difference in performance going through the adapter vs using my SATA (150) mobo connection.
    Here's one my brother bought for to upgrade the size of his hdd in his modded xbox.

Do you guys think these two are essentially the same? Or perhaps somehow differ?

Quote Originally Posted by bozo8787 View Post
    Here's one my brother bought for to upgrade the size of his hdd in his modded xbox.

Do you guys think these two are essentially the same? Or perhaps somehow differ?
    Looks like they might use the same chip. I'd agree they're essentially the same.