Thread: Can't upgrade form 3.1 to 3.5 DSR6000

Can't upgrade form 3.1 to 3.5 DSR6000

Used Sleeper ISO back in April 2004 to add 2nd drive to system - used the MONTE app which for soem reason does not allow system to be upgarded over phone line to 3.5 - the download comes, but never get upgraded.

Some people have offered assistance - but looking for best way to get LBA support AND updated software to 3.5 - is there step by step discussion on fixing already expanded system - or starting from scratch?

I see instant cake is a good way to go, but does not apply hacks (not sure if it starts me at 2.5, 3.1 or 3.5) - is tehre one solutoin that does it all, or which apps to get adn which order to apply?

I do have the TAR and GZ files for 3.5 if I can install manually I wil via serial cable and bash - if the commands are known.

Otherwise, series 2 are not expensive and might just take the plunge to get new Series 2 system.

Thanks from an old newbie from 2years ago.

Interesting. I was sure TiVoScripts wouldn't work with a Series 1. In any case, it sets 'upgradesoftware=false', which is probably why the software upgrade isn't installed.

As far as fixing it... Maybe if you removed the monte and used a kernel that had the initrd neutered... I hesitate to suggest anything definite. Are you sure you used TiVoScripts (aka Sleeper's iso)?

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Remember this was 2+ years ago - at the time i did it only the Series 1 were hackable, series 2 were being worked on but no code - so sleeper iso with monte was the way to go.

Guess the real question is, if i want to start from scratch, with clean hard drive that I have, what software should I use on the Series 1 DSR6000 that would include an image, etc?

Basically, I want to create an i new hard drive from scratch to use in teh system, with all the good hacks. Thanks.

Sleeper's tivoscript only works with series 2 Tivos. The series 1 models were hacked using 2.5Xtreme at the time. You may have this confused with the Alarmtronics Sleepy iso that was designed to work with the S1 DTivos. Here's a link to the Sleepy.iso file:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=36581

There was never a need to use monte on a series 1 model. You're either very confused about what you hacked the unit with originally or you've got the model number wrong. What you're suggesting is simply not possible.
    Last edited by captain_video; 10-22-2006 at 01:55 PM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thank you - in any event the Instant Cake software is a bust - does not work. HAve tried on 3 Western Digital drives (from 80 GB to 160 GB to 250 GB) - loads fine, softwrae installs on hard drive without a glitch - but cannot get past WELCOME POWERING UP on the Tivo screen. Original drive boots fine, so Tivo working. Used LBA cd and flash tivo - no help. If anyoen has suggestions on why this is not working, or if qunlock needs to be run, please let me know.

Hard drive sounds liek it starts, pauses then restart in Tivo but nothign happens to the screen - just sits there staring at me with Welcome Powering Up.

Model is Phillips DSR6000

Quote Originally Posted by PokerPlayer View Post
    Thank you - in any event the Instant Cake software is a bust - does not work. HAve tried on 3 Western Digital drives (from 80 GB to 160 GB to 250 GB) - loads fine, softwrae installs on hard drive without a glitch - but cannot get past WELCOME POWERING UP on the Tivo screen. Original drive boots fine, so Tivo working. Used LBA cd and flash tivo - no help. If anyoen has suggestions on why this is not working, or if qunlock needs to be run, please let me know.

Hard drive sounds liek it starts, pauses then restart in Tivo but nothign happens to the screen - just sits there staring at me with Welcome Powering Up.

You need to install an lba48 aware kernel on a Series1 on when using drives larger than 137GB.

Check the jumper on the drive for the correct setting. Check all cables to make sure they're OK and seated properly. Series 1 DTivos have lots of problems related to the white ribbon cable between the power supply and mainboard. Pull the ribbon cable and clean the contacts with a pencil erasor and reinsert it. You might want to try flipping it end for end as well. If it doesn't work the first time, wash, rinse, and repeat until it does.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

rayik Guest

Very easy mistake to make when doing the bootpage command is to put in hdd location as the actual location it is in the pc and not where it will be in the tivo. It should always be the hda drive as it will be the "a" drive in the tivo.

Bootpage command should be either hda4 or hda7 (depending what the boot partition is). Example

Code:
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda4 dsscon-true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false"
    However, if you have the actual hdd in the secondary master location on the pc when you are running the bootpage command, it is really easy to accidently put in hdc4 (or hdc7). If you do that you will get stuck at the welcoming screen (as the boot partition you selected either does not exist or, if it exists, is not a boot partition).

I made that error before and did nto realize it until after I wiped the drive clean and started again.

Good luck.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this applies to your hardware, but I had a similar problem with an old Philips SA Series 1. The problem was that the boot cd I was using to restore the instant cake image wasn't doing the byte swapping right, so when the machine would try to boot, it didn't see the right signature and would stop. Ended up having to go back to an old boot cd, I think the old universal upgrade cd floating around on emule. It seemed to byteswap properly. Just a suggestion... Good luck.

Thanks everyone but I used InstantCake and the LBA48 CD (noticed someone said LBA needed to be aplied - it was). I swapped out cables and reversed them as well - still nothing.

Not sure waht teh bootpage command is as tehr ewas no need to do this with InstantCake - drive is secondary master (hdc) , no secondary slave, CD is primary slave (hdb), no primary master - no other drives in system - do not sure how that would be an issue.

What is emule and what is teh search criteria to find that CD?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone but I used InstantCake and the LBA48 CD (noticed someone said LBA needed to be aplied - it was). I swapped out cables and reversed them as well - still nothing.

Not sure waht teh bootpage command is as tehr ewas no need to do this with InstantCake - drive is secondary master (hdc) , no secondary slave, CD is primary slave (hdb), no primary master - no other drives in system - do not sure how that would be an issue.

What is emule and what is teh search criteria to find that CD?

Thanks!
    Bingo!!! The PTVupgrade LBA-48 cd defaults to Series 2 (no byteswap IIRC). Series 1 systems require byteswapping. (Maybe I have which is which reversed, in which case someone will correct me.) In any case, I seem to remember at startup you have the option to get more information and that will give you the command to switch.

As a quick test, hook up the working drive, boot from the LBA-48 cd and from a command prompt type pdisk -l /dev/hdc. If it works, I was off base, and there is another problem. If it reports an invalid signature, you know what to do.

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I do not have a working drive - should I user the command you suggested on the 160 Gb drive I baked with Instant Cake?

Shoudl the command be run AFTER the LBA48 update or Before, or can I run it now?

I have not heard of byteswapping (jsut wife swapping) - is there any other literature on it

Thanks!

I do not have a working drive - should I user the command you suggested on the 160 Gb drive I baked with Instant Cake?

Shoudl the command be run AFTER the LBA48 update or Before, or can I run it now?

I have not heard of byteswapping (jsut wife swapping) - is there any other literature on it

Thanks!
    Excuse me, but in post #5 above you said
    Original drive boots fine, so Tivo working.
    Search on 'byteswap'. The subject has been discussed extensively.

PlainBill

I wiped out that drive to test out smaller drive without LBA issues - sigh -

I have read the Byteswap issue and see the vmlnodma hdc=bswap command, but having difficulty trying to find that comamnd in MSFtool 2.0. My understanding is that I should run it prior to installing InstantCake - however not sure how to do this.

So going back to the questions, and pardon my newbie ignorance -

* I have no images on drives other than what InstantCake put on it
    * Using DSR 6000 Series 1
    * Have PTVupgrade Universal CD, MSFtool 2.0

Looking to see how ot make this work, as the tech notes on here all assume a working Tivo image, which I blew away - even Hinsdale looks to have an image to start with (although I guess the image I put on the 160 Gb drive with Instantcake shold work - yoru thoughts??)

Thanks

Emule is a peer to peer sharing client. Go to www.emule-project.net and download/install the client. Once installed do a search for PTV-Universal-Tivo-Upgrade.nrg. Note: you can also find other 'tivo' related tools as well.

Meanwhile, go back to PTVupgrade and download PTVupgrade LBA48 CD v4.04, the free cd from the software tools section of their website. Burn it, and boot it. At the 'PTVupgrade /#' prompt, type in bootpage -p /dev/hdc (if the tivo drive is still hooked up to Secondary Master as you previously stated). You should get something like 'root=/dev/hda4' or it may have other parameters on that line. The key here is that it should also say 'warning: drive is byteswapped'. As byteswapping is needed for Series 1 Tivos.

If it doesn't type 'PTVbake-special' and follow the directions. This cd has a new instant cake process that works with large drives. However, I would suggest you start with a drive less than 137 GB, since it sounds like you have some available, just to eliminate any issues that might be related. If you can get a smaller drive to boot then you can move on to creating a large drive with a custome LBA48 supported kernel.

Hopefully this bootdisk/process will create you a working drive. Good luck.