Thread: Software version from Tivoapp Disassembly?

Software version from Tivoapp Disassembly?

I have a couple of tivoapps laying around on my PC that I forgot to re-name with the software version at the time I copied them. Is there any way to get the software release version through a "peek", disassembly or a grep/strings command. I've looked through the disassembly and I didn't see anything resembling software release numbers. I know you can do an MD5 checksum and although I've seen a few referenced here and there, I haven't found a particular post/thread that has a significant number of checksums listed. TIA.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    I have a couple of tivoapps laying around on my PC that I forgot to re-name with the software version at the time I copied them. Is there any way to get the software release version through a "peek", disassembly or a grep/strings command. I've looked through the disassembly and I didn't see anything resembling software release numbers. I know you can do an MD5 checksum and although I've seen a few referenced here and there, I haven't found a particular post/thread that has a significant number of checksums listed. TIA.
    Not sure if this gets you want you want, but if you run strings tivoapp | grep sandbox you may get some directory paths that give you at least a rough idea of what version you are looking at.

It may be coincidence, but:
    Code:

strings tivoapp | egrep -i "[0-9]+\s200[0-6]"
    returns:
    Nov 12 2004 for 6.2 and
    Jul 7 2006 for 6.3

Those dates are just a few months before each's release date, aren't they?

Those are the only two I have to work with -- hardly conclusive.

Thanks Jamie, that's exactly what I needed. Spoons, I gotta try your command as well. I'll post the results.
    Code:
    $ strings tivoapp.original | grep sandbox
    /build/sandbox-b-7-3-mr-release-mips-other/release-mips/root/include/dbcache/TvDbSignalSource.h
    /build/sandbox-b-7-3-mr-release-mips-other/release-mips/root/include/dbcache/TvDbSignalSource.h
    /build/sandbox-b-7-3-mr-release-mips-other/release-mips/root/include/mfs/nmentry.h

$ strings tivoapp_731_original | grep sandbox
    /build/sandbox-b-7-3-1-mr-release-mips-other/release-mips/root/include/dbcache/TvDbSignalSource.h
    /build/sandbox-b-7-3-1-mr-release-mips-other/release-mips/root/include/dbcache/TvDbSignalSource.h
    /build/sandbox-b-7-3-1-mr-release-mips-other/release-mips/root/include/mfs/nmentry.h
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software