Thread: Can't connect with Tytools?

35 Can't connect with Tytools?

I did some upgrades this morning using "rbautch's script". Everything went well until I tried to use Tytool.
    First let me say I have a Huges SD-DVR40 with PTVupgrade installed, PTVnet and the above script. I wanted to get the "Joe Editor" installed which I did and also set up my DTV for a static IP.
    Now for some strange reason I can't get Tytools to connect. It will not allow me to change the IP in the preferences to any other than what is there, which is 192.168.0.100 and I need it changed to my .125 IP.
    All the other functions work fine and this is the first time I've had problems with Tytools.
    I reloaded the Tytools from the Zip and also the other file but to no avail.
    I placed a new file of tserver in the dir. /var/hack/tserver still with no results.
    Any help would be greatful.
    Thank You:
    TomP
    Trancode Selected Mode: 0

Warning! Did not find the selected IP address... Using 192.168.0.100...
    Ready...
    But the thing is Tytools won't allow me to chang it or I don't know how.
    It is giving me this information:
    Last edited by TomP; 11-02-2006 at 06:07 PM. Reason: more information.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever heard of TyTool not allowing someone to enter a different IP.

Try going into the tytool folder on your PC and edit the TyTool.ini script. Change the ADDR: line to whatever your tivo's new IP happens to be.

This beats anything I've ever seen. I did as you suggested and rebooted everything to make sure everything it took and went back into the tytools.ini and it changed the IP back to .100.
    Thanks for the input. It may be that I have to remove the script I installed.
    Anymore help will be greatful!!
    Again Thanks:
    TomP

Did you check to see if the /var/hack/tytools folder is still on your Tivo? Chances are the /var partition got wiped and you lost it. You do realize you have to start tserver on the Tivo before it will connect, don't you? If you don't have it running first then TyTools won't be able to connect from your PC.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Captain Video:
    Yes, Its still there. I just went and telneted into tivo and started the server manually and then pulled up tytools and did a refresh with it, and it worked showing all .ty files and it allowed me to download one but tytools will not allow me to connect from the "Start Server" tab. I'm running release #4 of tytools.
    This one has got me stumped. Thanks For Your Input.
    TomP
    Last edited by TomP; 11-03-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Captain Video:
    Yes, Its still there. I just went and telneted into tivo and started the server manually and then pulled up tytools and did a refresh with it, and it worked showing all .ty files and it allowed me to download one but tytools will not allow me to connect from the "Start Server" tab. I'm running release #4 of tytools.
    This one has got me stumped. Thanks For Your Input.
    TomP
    Have you changed your bash prompt? If so you need to put that in TyTools.

I think I found my problem and it has something to do with tivo-tools.
    I reloaded everything even the "Enhanced Script" and it worked until I loaded the Tivo-Tools.
    Thats it for me.
    Thanks To all:
    TomP
    Last edited by TomP; 11-04-2006 at 01:49 AM.

I've never used the auto connect feature in TyTools as I'd rather start and stop it manually from bash. I've never had a problem getting it to connect unlesss I otherwise screwed up something else. It takes only a matter of seconds to establish a bash prompt and start tserver manually. I've always felt the remote start feature was just another problem waiting to happen. I know lots of folks have found it to work fine for them but I'm old school when it comes to using TyTools. The manual approach has worked flawlessly for me for many years so why screw with it?
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Captain_Video:
    You are absolutely right, but I'm and old man, new school. Again Thanks for the help!!
    TomP

Captain Video is right on this one. I had the client start up the tserver fine for a few days and now it won't do it at all. I went and started tserver manually from a telnet session and worked fine. Remote starting of tserver is a nice feature but definitely one that can cause wasted time to troubleshoot.

Simplest thing to do is go into the TyTool preferences and change the bash prompt to a single # (no spaces, quotes, etc.). Never failed to work when I did that.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    Simplest thing to do is go into the TyTool preferences and change the bash prompt to a single # (no spaces, quotes, etc.). Never failed to work when I did that.
    Great tip! Applied the "#" and so far so good. Hope it holds up cause sometimes tserver starts and sometimes it doesn't.

I just wanted to say thanks also for the #. I was having the same problem and not sure what to do and was working on another project when I came upon this thread and gave it a whirl.

Many thanks.

Patrick

Thanks Cheer!

This worked for me too. For some reason Tytols/preferences/network thought my Tivo was at 102.168.0.105 and i couldnt change that in the preferences. After changing the bash to # it autoconnects properly. No need to start it with bash.

Now why does this work?

Thanks Cheer!