Thread: backup restore failed with new 250Gig drive. What command to use?

backup restore failed with new 250Gig drive. What command to use?

he following is my set up and the command I used. At the bottom is my error.

I'm using PTVLBA48 CD.
    hda >> FAT32 drive (Primary Master) 10 GB
    hdb >> CD Rom (Primary Slave)
    hbc >> Tivo drive (Secondary Master) 80 GB
    hdd >> new 250 GB drive (Secondary Slave)
    Then I did the mfsbackup/restore command (mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zpi - /dev/hdd) that will copy from my old drive to the new drive and save recordings.

Question, is the command wrong, or the how the drives are set up or
    do I need to use again MakeTivoBootable? Below is the error. How can I fix this?

/dev/hdc10: Success
    mfs_load_Volume_header: mfsvol_read_data: Input/Output error
    mfsbackup: Backup failed to start. Make sure you specified the right devices and that the drives are not locked.
    Restored failed: -Success

It was a long night, and my brain is not yet fully engaged, but that looks correct. This site has an interactive guide that will give you the proper command syntax.

One thing to try: What do pdisk -l /dev/hdc and pdisk -l /dev/hdd report?

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks for the tip! But the following appear for both commands:

Version 0.7a3 10 (February 1998) T-vo-branch 0.a2 (17 June 2000)
    pdisk (-h) invalid option -- 1
    pdisk (-v) invalid option -- /
    pdisk (-l) invalid option -- e
    pdisk (-r) invalid option -- /
    pdisk - bad usage -bad arguments

Am I typing the command wrong?

Yes, that's a lowercase "L" as in LIST...
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Ok, thanks for the correction. I used it and I got the following for the DirecTV Tivo drive that is hdc - 'No valid block 1 on /dev/hdc'

So should I now use MakeTivoBootable to put the block back on there so that I can do the mfsback/mfsrestore and then do other things?

Quote Originally Posted by TRIVTEC View Post
    Ok, thanks for the correction. I used it and I got the following for the DirecTV Tivo drive that is hdc - 'No valid block 1 on /dev/hdc'

So should I now use MakeTivoBootable to put the block back on there so that I can do the mfsback/mfsrestore and then do other things?
    MakeTivoBootable is necessary only if you booted to Win2K or WinXP with the TiVo drive attached. I suggest testing the drive in the TiVo to see if it still boots.

By any chance does the computer have SATA ports? This will cause the drives to appear as different devices (/dev/hde, etc). If so, try disabling them in CMOS setup. Also, check the jumper settings / cable locations. Make sure the drives are indeed secondary master and secondary slave.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

No it's not SATA. One day I will have it that way. But I already did MakeTivoBootable. About 10 minutes ago I swapped out MFSTools 2.0 CD and
    had put in PTVlba48 CD to see if I had the wrong CD. I saw someones comments here a while ago that it could be the CD that makes a difference.
    Here's what I have:
    da Primary Master - report full size of Windows C:drive(10 Gig) Westerm Digital
    hdb Primary Slave - report CD ROM (if applicable)
    hdc Secondary Master - report full size of Tivo Drive (80 gig) Western Digital
    hdd Secondary Slave - I have a large drive-250Gig Western Digital

So right now I have the PTVlba48 CD in and with the partition check it shows.
    hda:hda1
    hdc: unknown partition table

I don't think it would show hde. So what should I do now before doing the mfsbackup | mfsrestore? It's frustrating because with searching this at different sites, I'm close but I don't have the candy!