Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: tytompg: TY to mpg conversion in one step, alpha release

Quote Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
    I used 7zip to pull the .ty parts out of the .tmf tarball, then use a binary copy to concatenate the .ty parts into one large .ty file. tytompg will work with that file. There is also a .xml metadata file in the .tmf tarball.
    There's no need to do such a thing for tytompg these days. tytompg reads .tmf directly. So one can simply type: tytompg file.tmf and the output is file.mpg.

sweet, I did not know that.

I went back and modified my batch file, that speeded things up considerably. See my previous post for the changes I made.
    Last edited by StanSimmons; 01-06-2008 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    The TY do play back to the end using media player, but stuttering. I dont know if I have the ty codec for media player loaded. Would they playback at all without it? Media player gives me a warning that it doesnt know this type of file, but then kind of plays it back.
    Windows media player does not know how to play back TY without a codec. So I assume you installed tyshow at some point to achieve playback. I assume the stuttering occurs at the same part of the TY recording where tytompg is reporting garbage chunks. Streaming players can skip over the garbage and somewhat re-sync afterwards. Tytompg needs to track the TY chunks precisely to insure A/V sync, it cannot resort to heuristic searching like a streaming player can sometimes get away with.
    Does tytompg handle tmf files?
    Yes
    I can reftp using those or is that just to test transfer? I have moved tmf to another s2sa tivo, and they look fine.
    I'd recommend trying one that way as a test at least.

Well...

I tried moving the TY again. Same error, same places

I moved a TMF, NO ERRORS, 1hour is 1 hour!!!!!!

So that fixed it.

I will move it all as TMF files.

I assume, since it is really alot of tarballs inside, tytompg will fail upon trying to pull them apart, hence I will know exactly which ones are corrupted?

Phil

Well...

I tried moving the TY again. Same error, same places

I moved a TMF, NO ERRORS, 1hour is 1 hour!!!!!!

So that fixed it.

I will move it all as TMF files.
    Great, but you might want to really figure out what is going wrong with your TY extractions before going ahead and extracting ~200 recordings as TMF.
    I assume, since it is really alot of tarballs inside, tytompg will fail upon trying to pull them apart, hence I will know exactly which ones are corrupted?
    I didn't quite parse that. tytompg shouldn't fail silently if your TMF extractions are corrupt, and most errors report the chunk# at which the error occurs.

Since I am only moving the 200+ one time, then shutting down the old S2SA, I'll just move 5 or 10, make sure they are ok as TMF and continue.

I had assumed since the tivo was still running 4.01b, the old mfs_ftp/msf_utils would be good enough. Maybe not?

Since I am only moving the 200+ one time, then shutting down the old S2SA, I'll just move 5 or 10, make sure they are ok as TMF and continue.

I had assumed since the tivo was still running 4.01b, the old mfs_ftp/msf_utils would be good enough. Maybe not?
    There's a minefield of known bugs in those utils, and I'd expect TY extraction to give you corrupted recordings if you're using stuff that's older than jamie's mfs-utils changes.

sweethe Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    Great, but you might want to really figure out what is going wrong with your TY extractions before going ahead and extracting ~200 recordings as TMF.I didn't quite parse that. tytompg shouldn't fail silently if your TMF extractions are corrupt, and most errors report the chunk# at which the error occurs.
    Thank you for you kind words, everyone. Regards.

Are the mpeg streams that tytompg outputs compatible with the latest versions of DVDAuthor?

I seem to remember that DVDAuthor at later versions then 0.5.3 did not like the files that TyTool produced and thats why TyTool is stuck on DVDAuthor 0.5.3. Its now on 0.6 version and has a nice XML driven CLI tool rather then using parms on the commandline.

But with tytompg, I am wondering if that limitation is now gone. I ask because I still use TyTemplate and BoxMenu to create DVDs and would like to maybe update the BoxMenu code to use the latest DVDAuthor and add some features. So has anybody experimented with the tytompg files and latest DVDAuthor builds?

What are most people using to create their DVDs from the mpeg streams that tytompg produces (DVD-Lab)? And does anything special need to be done?
    DSR708 running 6.2 300 GB Seagate, networked, manually hacked

I'm not aware of any interoperability problem between dvdauthor & tytompg. That said, I'm not a dvdauthor user.

Note that none of the mpeg2 that is broadcast OTA or via directv is strictly DVD-compliant (there are differences in frame size, GOP sizes, fields per frame, etc). So if you have a DVD playback device that is lenient you may be able to get away without a redo pass on the mpeg2.

But if you're trying to produce a dvd that is going to work on anyone's off-the-shelf dvd player you'll need to at least reprocess the mpeg2 with something like videoredo if not fully re-transcode the video. In which case, any interoperability concerns move to the tools you're using to re-do/re-transcode. tytompg is known to work well with videoredo for example.

How to install tytompg on Mac

Hi,

Would prefer to run tytompg on a Mac 10.5.5 but am a bit clueless as to where to put the application(s), do I need some terminal commands or some way to "register" the app there and to run?

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by abmcconnell View Post
    Would prefer to run tytompg on a Mac 10.5.5 but am a bit clueless as to where to put the application(s), do I need some terminal commands or some way to "register" the app there and to run?
    tytompg does not care where you run it from, and doesn't need to be registered. Yes, it is a terminal-based application.

Terminally helpless?

tytompg does not care where you run it from, and doesn't need to be registered. Yes, it is a terminal-based application.
    Thanks for the response.

I did try Terminal before writing to you in the first place.
    I retried the following:

Navigate to the mac-x86 directory which contains tytompg and tstompg and the .tmf (or ty or ty+ file) that I wish to convert

I then type the following instructions

tytompg -y filename.tmf

I still get the message
    -bash tytompg: command not found

This is a dual core Intel mac mini.

Interesting to note that following a similar process and syntax on a PC with the C prompt does yield a result.

What am I missing on the Mac with terminal?

Quote Originally Posted by abmcconnell View Post
    I still get the message
    -bash tytompg: command not found

This is a dual core Intel mac mini.

Interesting to note that following a similar process and syntax on a PC with the C prompt does yield a result.

What am I missing on the Mac with terminal?
    Either you need to have tytompg in your path or you need to provide the path name along with the command name. Apparently you don't have . in your path, so you'd want ./tytompg if you've cd'd into the directory where you installed it. Presumably the right thing would be to install it in one of the standard directories that already is in your path. Same answer for linux.

There's a minefield of known bugs in those utils, and I'd expect TY extraction to give you corrupted recordings if you're using stuff that's older than jamie's mfs-utils changes.
    For S3, I'm using tserver (from TyTool 10r4) to extract and lastest tytompg to convert to mpeg. So far so good.

What is your suggested extraction method for S3?

Btw, Thank you for tytompg. Very nice.
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync