Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: tytompg: TY to mpg conversion in one step, alpha release

Quote Originally Posted by mr_zorg View Post
    So is the DTiVo doing the scaling? Surely it's not sending that to my TV as I doubt it would understand it...
    It must be, since it couldn't count on all TVs being able to scale directv's custom resolutions.
    That must be why there's no "Native" selection in the HD outputs on the DTiVo boxes, but there is on the S3...
    Hadn't thought of that, but yes, that may be their excuse. Of course, not all plasmas handle 480i, but that didn't stop tivo from trying to pass that as one of the native resolutions...
    Although if Comcast uses that res too, then there must be some scaling going on even with the S3 -- I'm assuming the cablecard would do it in that case? OK, I'd best let this drop now, I don't want to derail this thread...
    Haven't seen any1280x1080i from comcast. For 1080i HD, the cablecard and OTA recordings I've checked have all been 1920 width.
    It would be the playback device or your monitor that would do any scaling, not the cablecard itself.

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    Haven't seen any1280x1080i from comcast. For 1080i HD, the cablecard and OTA recordings I've checked have all been 1920 width.
    Oops, sorry. I read this:
    ...yet cable providers such as comcast are broadcasting premium content such as HBO at basically the same data rate.
    And took it out of context, even though you said in the next sentence if was 1920x1080. Doh. So full res, but they overcompress them, eh? Bummer.

And took it out of context, even though you said in the next sentence if was 1920x1080. Doh. So full res, but they overcompress them, eh? Bummer.
    Yes looks overcompressed to me. Try watching an HD comcast action scene in slow-mo vs a DVD in slow-mo. The HD comcast version is likely worse when it comes to macroblock distortion. More quantitatively, when I've checked, comcast HD locals use a lower data rate than the OTA broadcasts of the same program.

Here's a tough one for ya...

bcc,

I've got an OTA HD stream that has some sort of error ~2.8GB in that converts ok (no complaints from tytompg) but won't open in quicktime, and opens with no video in mpegstreamclip...

I've narrowed down the error to the specific point where things stop working and have posted up three segments for you to check out (I'll PM you the location), should you so desire.

segment1.ty - a 4MB segment right before the error that works fine
    segment2.ty - the 4MB segment immediately after segment1 that doesn't work
    segment3.ty - the full 8MB segment starting in the same place as segment1 (should be the same as segment1 + segment2)

Thoughts?

Plays fine for me under linux with xine, mplayer and vlc, and under windows with powerdvd, windvd.

Plays fine for me under linux with xine, mplayer and vlc, and under windows with powerdvd, windvd.
    Hmm. OK then...

bcc: I'd love to get a solaris amd64 build of your tools, I can give you access to your own zone on a machine. If you are building with gcc on linux, it should be zero effort to port. And I'd be willing to help any way you need.

I have terabytes of storage available on solaris with their zfs filesystem.

Quote Originally Posted by bclbob View Post
    bcc: I'd love to get a solaris amd64 build of your tools, I can give you access to your own zone on a machine. If you are building with gcc on linux, it should be zero effort to port. And I'd be willing to help any way you need.
    Did my previous response to this not make sense?

I have terabytes of storage available on solaris with their zfs filesystem.
    I assume you can mount it as network file share (nfs,smb) to a mainstream desktop.

Did my previous response to this not make sense?I assume you can mount it as network file share (nfs,smb) to a mainstream desktop.
    sure, I was just checking to see if it was the same situation or if there is anything that can be done. What version of linux do you build on?
    Last edited by bclbob; 04-13-2007 at 04:59 PM.

sure, I was just checking to see if it was the same situation or if there is anything that can be done. What version of linux do you build on?
    The situation has changed in that it's less likely for me to add more bells&whistles to tytompg since
    1. the s1/s2 TY format has been obsoleted as of s3, and
    2. I no longer have a sub'd s1/s2 box (I've moved on to the s3)
    Quote Originally Posted by bclbob
    What version of linux do you build on?
    Fedora core 6, not that OS portability is an issue; the code is quite portable.

The situation has changed in that it's less likely for me to add more bells&whistles to tytompg...
    Would you consider releasing the source then? We seem to keep having free but closed source TiVo-related programs abandoned as the authors lose interest or have other things come up, so people keep having to reinvent the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by burdellgp View Post
    Would you consider releasing the source then? We seem to keep having free but closed source TiVo-related programs abandoned as the authors lose interest or have other things come up, so people keep having to reinvent the wheel.
    Not that I have abandoned anything, or should have to keep justifying myself here, but...

The source for hdemux was posted way back when and has been left as a reference. It has even facilitated subsequent projects such as tivotool and tysuitej.

mpeg2 multiplexing is not a tivo-specific thing. Complete implementations are hard to do well. Contrary to how it may seem here, my time is not free; I'm not giving away the source to the multiplexer portion of my work. Most quality implementations don't even ship for free like tytompg.
    There are several open source multiplexers to work on if you are serious, though past history here shows that there have been virtually no contributions in this area.

I'm not giving away the source to the multiplexer portion of my work
    I occasionally remark to my kids and their families that I intend to spend all my money and take what's left with me, somehow. They laugh. I don't understand that. It's mine, I'm taking it with me.

The situation has changed ... the s1/s2 TY format has been obsoleted as of s3... I no longer have a sub'd s1/s2 box (I've moved on to the s3)
    What's your guess as to the probability of s3 files having the (hacked and widely available) portability of s1/s2 TY in the next year or so? High, medium, low?

I'm about to sell my s3s at a huge loss because I just can't live with the encapsulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    I occasionally remark to my kids and their families that I intend to spend all my money and take what's left with me, somehow. They laugh. I don't understand that. It's mine, I'm taking it with me.
    Not sure which way you want me to read that, but yes, sense of entitlement seems to be out of wack in US society, and kids are a good example.
    Last edited by bcc; 04-14-2007 at 02:58 AM.