Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: tytompg: TY to mpg conversion in one step, alpha release

PPC for mac version

I've answered this (again) at the end of this thread:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=53493
    Please follow up there

bcc,

I love tytompg. It fixes a few problems from tytools converting from ty to MPG. The problem is that tytompg is that it strips the captions. Any solutions?

closed captioning

Thanks.
    It was never clear to which flavor of closed captioning mattered so it was not clear what more needed to be done. I did not want to just presume DVD subtitles as the target output format (like tytool does I believe). I would think it makes more sense for the output to be more general EIA-708 captions that go into the video stream's user data. Yet media players seem to have trouble showing the closed captioning when it's in such a format. Maybe someone could school me on why this doesn't seem to work right? It seems to me this ought to be the best way to handle TY CC records.

Of course, I'm not stripping out any existing closed captioning from the video stream. I'm just not muxing the TY CC records as it's unclear which way to handle them. Also analog closed captioning (cea-608/"line 21") should "just work".

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    I'm just not muxing the TY CC records as it's unclear which way to handle them.
    Could this be added as a command line operation depending on which type of CC works on each users player?
    (2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
    (1) HR10-250 2TB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 300GB 6.4a
    (3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
    RandC

Quote Originally Posted by RandC View Post
    Could this be added as a command line operation depending on which type of CC works on each users player?
    I gotta know where to mux the output into, or what file type to output it to such as a .scc file. I really don't want to implement multiple solutions so some research into what format fits all would be nice. I think HD is more important than SD so a DVD-only solution would be a non-starter.

Last time I checked the digital CC data was already in the video stream even though tivo also was including it in TY CC records. The TY CC records seemed to be a redundant copy. Perhaps nothing needs to be done on the muxing end and this is just an issue for players and editing software.
    Last edited by bcc; 10-10-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Last time I checked the digital CC data was already in the video stream even though tivo also was including it in TY CC records. The TY CC records seemed to be a redundant copy. Perhaps nothing needs to be done on the muxing end and this is just an issue for players and editing software.
    I checked again using this patch to mplayer. It is able to decode the digital CC data from tytompg generated .mpg, and it seems to exactly match the TY CC records (ignoring a few bugs in the patch). In other words, I think the TY CC records are just copies from the video stream and there is nothing that tytompg needs to do to make CC work. It's just a matter of using tools that support eia708 subtitles.

PS: The same eia708 works with transport streams from s3 recordings.

ty to mpg broken in Leopard

It appears that when I upgraded to 10.5 Leopard TyToMpg stopped working. Anyone else have the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by cognac View Post
    It appears that when I upgraded to 10.5 Leopard TyToMpg stopped working. Anyone else have the same problem?
    There was a report of this in the Mac Support Thread for TyToMpg with an early release. For the sake of BCC's sanity, he prefers Mac issues to be posted in that thread, I'll follow up over there...

love it

maybe this thread is only for questions and not praise, but, tyvm! Your program works perfectly!!! Woot (as the kids say)

Quote Originally Posted by jmangum View Post
    maybe this thread is only for questions and not praise, but, tyvm! Your program works perfectly!!! Woot (as the kids say)
    Thanks. It's more trendy to mention problems, but that comes with the territory.
    I think tytompg is quite mature and works for most everything; better than tivo&sonic's software I'd take "alpha release" out of the thread title if I could...

New version - 0.21

Changes:
    • When splitting large audio packets, add unique timecodes to each piece (fixes TTCB compatibility ie PC->Tivo with tivodesktop)
    • Scale time codes to start off near 0. This makes vlc happier as it malfunctions with very large time codes (treats the high-bit as a sign bit).
    Note, version 0.20, which was a mips-only build, added support for streaming from a pipe. That's included in this version as well.

I have about 200+ programs from a S2SA tivo, .TY format.

I attempted to run them thru tytompg.

The orig sizes were 770meg or so, the output as 560meg or so.

The output from the program as it runs shows a ton of these at the end of the convert:
    Garbage chunk at 5900: Claims 45184 TY records
    Garbage chunk at 5901: Claims 30665 TY records
    Garbage chunk at 5906: Claims 44693 TY records
    Garbage chunk at 5909: Claims 9832 TY records
    Garbage chunk at 5911: Claims 7416 TY records
    Garbage chunk at 5913: Claims 10681 TY records
    Done!
    Stream audio: 104325 frames (1251 seconds aprox.)
    Stream video: 72430 frames, 150068 fields (2416 seconds aprox.)

i mean a ton.

I xfer this to the new tivo or look at the output with media play or the pc, the programs are truncated by 18-40 minutes at the end!!

Playing the TY stream in media player, as expected, stutters, etc, but it does get to the end of the program

So tytompg is truncating all of these programs!

This is with 0.19 and 0.21

And ideas what to use to make this NOT happen?

I have all the ty streams on the pc right now.

For the garbage chunk error, check the file size of your .ty. That'll give you an indication as to whether or not these garbage chunks are at end of file. If they are, the problem may be that you used tychopper or the like and so tytompg cannot precisely predict where the garbage chunks start. In this case the garbage chunk errors are cosmetic and you can ignore them.

But since you report recording length problems as well, it's likely that you have somehow corrupted your .ty file.
    It's not clear, but it sounds like you're indicating that the source TY file plays back with the tyshow codec but with errors in the stream. This suggests to me that you have garbage bytes between some of your chunks, such as you could get from really old extraction tools (2004 vintage or older).

Recommend you extract with a patched mfs_ftp with current mfs-utils. You could try extracting in .tmf to expose any problems you may be creating from the file transfer itself (such as using a broken ftp client or filesystem that can't handle large files).

For the garbage chunk error, check the file size of your .ty. That'll give you an indication as to whether or not these garbage chunks are at end of file. If they are, the problem may be that you used tychopper or the like and so tytompg cannot precisely predict where the garbage chunks start. In this case the garbage chunk errors are cosmetic and you can ignore them.

But since you report recording length problems as well, it's likely that you have somehow corrupted your .ty file.
    It's not clear, but it sounds like you're indicating that the source TY file plays back with the tyshow codec but with errors in the stream. This suggests to me that you have garbage bytes between some of your chunks, such as you could get from really old extraction tools (2004 vintage or older).

Recommend you extract with a patched mfs_ftp with current mfs-utils. You could try extracting in .tmf to expose any problems you may be creating from the file transfer itself (such as using a broken ftp client or filesystem that can't handle large files).
    The TY do play back to the end using media player, but stuttering. I dont know if I have the ty codec for media player loaded. Would they playback at all without it? Media player gives me a warning that it doesnt know this type of file, but then kind of plays it back.

I actually watched the first 42 minutes, no dropouts, nothing wrong, it just cuts out at 42 minutes or so, displaying that as the length on the tivo. I also watched the conversion program output, and it all shows the garbage stuff messages at the end of the conversion, so I think it just dropped the frames all at the end.

Does tytompg handle tmf files? I can reftp using those or is that just to test transfer? I have moved tmf to another s2sa tivo, and they look fine.

Also, I am using original 1.2.9p mfs-ftp. So I can put the patched one up on the tivo.
    I looked in the mfs-ftp thread and couldn't find the actual patches and how to apply. The thread is a mess! Anyone have an mfs-ftp patched kit?

BTW, the machine is still runinng 4.01 software. It was unplugged for a few years.

Thanks!
    Last edited by philhu; 01-06-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    The TY do play back to the end using media player, but stuttering. I dont know if I have the ty codec for media player loaded. Would they playback at all without it? Media player gives me a warning that it doesnt know this type of file, but then kind of plays it back.

I actually watched the first 42 minutes, no dropouts, nothing wrong, it just cuts out at 42 minutes or so, displaying that as the length on the tivo. I also watched the conversion program output, and it all shows the garbage stuff messages at the end of the conversion, so I think it just dropped the frames all at the end.

Does tytompg handle tmf files? I can reftp using those or is that just to test transfer? I have moved tmf to another s2sa tivo, and they look fine.

Also, I am using original 1.2.9p mfs-ftp. So I can put the patched one up on the tivo.
    I looked in the mfs-ftp thread and couldn't find the actual patches and how to apply. The thread is a mess! Anyone have an mfs-ftp patched kit?

BTW, the machine is still runinng 4.01 software. It was unplugged for a few years.

Thanks!
    Turns out that tytompg.exe handles .tmf files nicely.

I used 7zip to pull the .xml metadata file out of the .tmf tarball.

I use a utility a friend wrote to convert the .xml metadata to a pyTivo .mpg.txt metadata file.

Below is the windows xp batch file I used to process all of my .tmf files in one go.

Look here for good concise info on mfs_ftp: http://www.dvrpedia.com/MFS_FTP

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    REM To run mpgtest.bat
    REM T:\Old S1 Shows\mpg>for %x in (..\*.tmf) do mpgtest.bat "%x"

IF EXIST "%~n1.mpg" GOTO ENDIT

REM convert to mpg
    tytompg.exe "..\%~n1.tmf" "%~n1.mpg"

REM Extract xml file
    "C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" e "..\%~n1.tmf" *.xml

REM rename xml file
    rename showing.xml "%~n1.xml"

REM convert XML to mpg.txt
    xml2py.exe "%~n1.xml" "%~n1.mpg.txt"

:ENDIT
    Last edited by StanSimmons; 01-06-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: changed the batch file, tytompg handles .tmf files.