Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome, powering up. STOPS...

15 Welcome, powering up. STOPS...

Ran 25xtreme, 1 hard drive 40 gig that came with it, ran hdb and answered yes to all questions. The program finished in the pc, replaced drive in dsr6000, "welcome powering up" comes on and it stays on... Won't go any further... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help. ohh_yeah

easy answer first. Is your primary set to master? Are you sure the IDE and power are fully plugged in? Are you sure the IDE isn't reversed?

Cs cable select, it's the default setting. I've tried switching the cable, same thing... I can see the green light on the hd come when power is connected to the unit...

Thanks... ohh_yeah

I'm pretty sure the default setting is Master, at least that's what mine is set to. If the drive showed up as hdb when it was in your PC, it's definitely not jumpered to be Master.

Changed jumper to master, still- "welcome powering up"
    Shoul I run 25xtreme again using the master setting? Which do I use hdb hdc or hdd?

Thanks... ohh_yeah

What do you mean which do you use? Which IDE cable are you hooked up to in your computer loading xt25??

You are not from alt.dss.hack by any chance are you?

Nigel.

Originally posted by Ohh_yeah
    Which do I use hdb hdc or hdd?

Thanks... ohh_yeah

Nigel, I'm not familiar with alt.dss.hack I don't use newsgroups.
    When I ran 25xtreme it asked me HDB, HDC, or HDD. I've disconnected the other hd in my pc, so the tivo hd was the only drive.

Thanks... ohh_yeah

man why are you comming down on ppl all he want's is some help as I would if I was in his shoes.

it's not very nice

I had ton's of questions when I first came here and I still am asking questions.

if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything

bah

Ohh_yeah

The jumper setting to Cable Select should work just fine for the process, it did for me in several units. Leave it set there.
    When you went thru TiVomad what did you answer to the question:
    Will your target TiVo have two drives in it? Answer y or n!
    You should answer n since you only have 1 drive for now.
    This is not your intentions for the future.
    This can cause what you're seeing, I tried it and got the same results as you.
    GL

Originally posted by Ohh_yeah
    Cs cable select, it's the default setting. I've tried switching the cable, same thing... I can see the green light on the hd come when power is connected to the unit...

Thanks... ohh_yeah
    For what it's worth...

I did an upgrade for my brother (80GB B Drive) and got the same symptoms when I set the new drive to slave and left the factory A alone.

I don't know what CS is, but that was the default for the factory A drive, setting the factory A to master and the new drive to slave fixed the problem on this one.

You might try switching your A drive to master.

I put it on cable select rebooted and everything went fine...
    I slowed down, re-read the hdb, hdc and hdd, and all makes sense on the drive aspect. My apologies for the lack of understanding it was all plainly written...
    Now when I try to use "touch /etc/SubTest" I still receive "2" I'm doing this command with the drive in my pc and then putting back in the tivo unit. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong... I've read and re-read on this and nothing changes that "2".

Thanks... ohh_yeah

Ok had the same problem...this fixed it

You ran Tivomad I assume to expand the drive from 30 to 40...this is good but the program sets ideturbo=false...

go in and delete this line from boot_params and you should boot up fine...or use a different main drive and bless your original this will also work.

POTI

Come on guys we are all friends here

Unhappy

Hi guys, I have the same "Welcome" locking problem but only at the 2nd reboot after upgrading itself to 2.5.

I have also tried the "add space into sysinit" suggestion but still no luck. My setup is DSR6K with original Quantum and new 100GB 7200rpm WD HD ($12X AR) from Walmart. Any suggestion is welcome.

The ideturbo thing I am going to try it after work. Do I need it on for Quantum to work right?

Thanks a lot for your help.

BTW, during my experience of working with IDE hard drives, I have alway use the newer hard drive as the master.

Linux seems to be OK with the Quantum as master but not my PC BIOS ( I have upgraded it to th elatest version and tried different Mater/Slave combination with 25Xtreme).

I have swapped them for the Dtivo (It won't finish the first boot)and tried not running TivoMad but still no luck.

The things I am going to try tonight is to use an single Quantum drive first (without TivoMad nor Blessing) then probably use my new Seagate 60 GB (on sale in Fry's now for under $90) with or without WD to see if it is the "Locking" problem with some Quantum drives.

Sorry for so many questions. I am usually the quiet type that just learn and do it. But with my SA Tivo gone and Dtivo still not working for few days, I am really desperated. I need my TIVO.

Thanks again for any help.

I did this with a 60 gig seagate drive and it would not boot until I changed the runideturbo setting to false.

run: mad/edit_bootparms hdX -i
    to have tivomad change it for you.

Thanks for the info. I did check to find out that ideturbo was off even for my Quantum. Do I need it to be on for the Quantum to work?

The thing troubles me is that if I have hardware related issue then how come I can still get the first boot ok but not the 2nd boot after it upgrade itself to 2.5?

Thanks.