Thread: editing usb.map for D-Link DUB100E

editing usb.map for D-Link DUB100E

Can anyone explain why I need to edit the usb.map file in order to use backported files with my D-Link DUB100E Ver.B adapter. And what is the product code for this device. Also having trouble adding info to file using Hexedit.

Quote Originally Posted by MARC BELL View Post
    Can anyone explain why I need to edit the usb.map file in order to use backported files with my D-Link DUB100E Ver.B adapter.
    The usb.map file is used by the hotplug system to decide what device driver module to load for your network dongle. The stock tivo usb.map doesn't know about the D-Link DUB100E Ver. B, so it isn't included and no driver is loaded for your dongle.
    And what is the product code for this device.
    Check the usb.map.additions file (and the README) in the backport distribution.
    Also having trouble adding info to file using Hexedit.
    It's a text file. Use a text editor (vi/joe/...) rather than a hexeditor.

no info on product code

I have looked through all the readme files for a product code for D-Link DUB100E Ver. B, but I can not find one. Also I can not find usb.map.additions file. I am so close to understanding how this works, please help me.
    Last edited by MARC BELL; 11-14-2006 at 10:26 AM.

I have looked through all the readme files for a product code for D-Link DUB100E Ver. B, but I can not find one. Also I can not find usb.map.additions file. I am so close to understanding how this works, please help me.
    Sounds like you didn't download the latest version of the backport package. I linked to it in your other thread (best to keep the questions in a single thread). README and usb.map.additions are in the very top level directory of the archive.

Need help

I know I must be bothering you, but I need some help. I downloaded the backported files you gave me a link to. move the existing files and transfered the files from the 2.4.2 folders into /tvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb. Again there was no ax8817x.o file. I typed ln {-s usbnet.o ax8817x.o} . Transfered the usb.map file to computer and added the line {product 2001 3c05 DUB-E100, revision B1} and {product 07d1 3c05 DUB-E100, revision B1 alternate vendor code} under the heading device ax8817x. Transfered the file back to the /etc/hotplug directory then restarted Tivo with no luck. Have no idea what to do or what to look for from here. Can you help?
    Last edited by MARC BELL; 11-14-2006 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling

I know I must be bothering you, but I need some help. I downloaded the backported files you gave me a link to. move the existing files and transfered the files from the 2.4.2 folders into /otvupgrade/modules/usb_ddb. Again there was no ax8817x.o file. I typed ln -s usbnet.o ax8817x.o . Transfered the usb.map file to computer and added the line {product 2001 3c05 DUB-E100, revision B1} and {product 07d1 3c05 DUB-E100, revision B1 alternate vendor code} under the heading device ax8817x. Transfered the file back to the /etc/hotplug directory then restarted Tivo with no luck. Have no idea what to do or what to look for from here. Can you help?
    2.4.2? That doesn't sound right. /otvupgrade? That doesn't sound right either. I'm guessing based on these typos that you typoed something in the commands too.

Generally, you want a serial console cable and bash running on a serial port to debug network problems. Otherwise you are flying blind. It's hard to know what's gone wrong without a feedback path. It's possible you could get enough information from /var/log/messages or /var/log/kernel to figure out what is happening. It's a pain to have to pull the drive to debug though. It's much easier with a serial console connection.

I don't do PTVnet and can't really help with that aspect of this. Best to follow the directions in the other thread I referenced that discusses the interaction of PTVNet and the backports. You could always ask support on the PTVUpgrade forum, although they may just tell you to buy a device their product supports (e.g. FA-120).

Just try to avoid getting angry and frustrated like this guy did
    Last edited by Jamie; 11-14-2006 at 12:42 PM.

That's nice Jamie! Learned a lot from that info! You obviously know a lot of stuff! Which made you quite cooler than customer service people!
    If your wife wants to learn to drive, don't stand in her way.
    age of conan gold