Thread: Hack request to change rewind behavior

Hack request to change rewind behavior

Has anyone seen a hack to change the rewind behavior of a hacked TiVo?

Let me explain. I love the way the fast forward works: Fast forward until I see the scene I'm looking for, push play, and TiVo backs up a few seconds on the video stream and then plays. Pure genius.

TiVo applies similar logic to the rewind function, but it's all wrong.

I rewind until I see the scene I'm looking for and push play, but this time TiVo sends me forward a few seconds down the video stream, so I miss the scene I'm looking for. TiVo should start playing the video a few seconds prior to the point I push play, just as it does in fast forward.

Does anyone else think the rewind function works incorrectly? Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

Thanks for all the great work that's been done by all.

No, when rewinding you press play at the point you want to start. TiVo adjusts for the human non-zero response time (which means it got the play command at some point prior to the desired start point), so it moves forward a bit to compensate.

It's _exactly_ the same logic which is used on fast forward.

TiVo has no idea how long a _scene_ is, and it could be 10 seconds or 5 minutes, so it would make zero sense for it to try to continue rewinding if you press play when the end of a scene first appears in rewind. TiVo is only concerned with a point in time, and is adjusting appropriately for human response time.

Personally, I often think Tivo backs up (or forward) too much. Guess I'm just quicker with the buttons than they expected.

A great hack for this would be something to allow you to adjust (reduce) the stepping amount.

With backdoors enabled, Clear-Enter-Clear-5 will remove the correction all together.

mike_s,

I agree that TiVo uses the same logic for FF and RW, but it shouldn't. The effect is completely different for FF vs. RW because Play always moves the video forward.
    If I FF until I see the point in the video that I want to watch and then I push play, TiVo backs up a few seconds to compensate for the human non-zero response time you mentioned, so I see the few seconds of action that happened just before the point where I pushed play, but I will soon get to the spot of interest.

In RW, it is different. I RW until I see the point in the video that I want to watch and then I push play, TiVo backs up the rewind, which is actually moving forward through the recording, TiVO then plays the video, but I will not see the video at the point where I pushed play.

The logic is exactly the same for FF and RW, just like you said. But it shouldn't be, the logic should be opposite for RW and FF.

I was just wondering if someone had an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by mlnc248 View Post
    I agree that TiVo uses the same logic for FF and RW...In RW, it is different.
    Uh, OK, if you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by mlnc248 View Post
    mike_s,

The logic is exactly the same for FF and RW, just like you said. But it shouldn't be, the logic should be opposite for RW and FF.
    I decided I fully agree with you that this is a general problem. However, I don't agree that the logic should be opposite. Rather, I propose that a RW should not have any compensation.

Consider, you're rewinding and you see the scene you want to start at. By the time you hit play, it has progressed further backward. If you simply stop and play from that location, you will have achieved enough "padding" so that you won't miss anything. There is no need to go further back in the recording.

I suppose the Tivo folks think that you have overshot your desired location, and therefore need to move forward again. Perhaps this is true, but I find it does too much.

I'd love to see how it does if we could cut the compensation by half.