Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.1 and my NIC

Quote Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
    I had to use serial bash and copy over a few files (backport link earlier in this thread). I had to update them in the /platform/lib/modules for usbcore, usb-ohci and ehci-hcd, also updated usbnet in the /lib/modules and added symlink from ax8817->usbnet, not sure if that last part was needed. also, check your /etc/hotplug/usbmap. make sure your device is in there properly.
    I copied the usbnet.o, usbcore.o and usb-ohci.o and this allowed my wired network adapter to work but my wireless Netgear WG-111 adapter is not detected. I checked the usb.map file and my wireless adapter is in there under both CM????? and isl???? (can't remember full name). Do I need ehci-hcd and ax8817 or does this not matter?

Any help would be appreciated.

W

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfriend View Post
    Well it has been a busy week. I just upgraded my first TiVo to 8.1 and hit this issue. I updated my usbnet.o, usbcore.o and usb-ohci.o with the backport drivers. It works with a wired usb adapter but does not detect my Netgear Wireless WG-111 usb adapter. Any ideas please?
    This is my problem as well I assume. I have a series 2 (240) box with the 2.4.20 kernel. I copied the usbcore.o and usb-ohci.o from the obj\hosts\2.4.20_Series2 directory of the backport archive to the /lib/modules directory on my TiVo. Then I copied usbnet.o from the obj\drivers\2.4.20 directory to /lib/modules. The rebooting stopped but the wireless nic is not detected. I checked the usb.map and there is an entry for that nic. Is there anywhere else I can check?
    Thanks!

The wireless support in the backport package is minimal. AFAIK, no 802.11g adapters are supported. So you may want to stick with the stock tivo modules. To do that, you need to boot the stock kernel. The only way to boot the stock kernel on a hacked tivo without a prom mod is to replace the initrd with a null initrd and monte to it.

Perhaps someone can examine the 8.1 kernel to see if the killhdinitrd exploit can be applied to it.

The "Netgear WG111" is under the "device CNXTSPDriver" of the wireless section of the usb.map file. However there are specific serial numbers that are supported for this NIC by tivo and listed at their website; if it's not listed, it's not supported and AFAIK there is currently no backport driver for this NIC.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 11-30-2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Jamie beat me to it!
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

ScanMan,

I have been using this wireless adapter since 7.3 and it is in the range of serial numbers supported. The issue is since I upgraded to 8.1 it continuously reboots if that usb wireless device is installed and I don't have the backport drivers installed. Since I installed the backport drivers I can have the wireless adapter inserted and it does not reboot but it does not detect it.

Shutterfriend

As Jamie alluded to, it appears something is perhaps present in the stock 8.1 kernel that's missing. See if the "CNXTSPDriver.o" in /lib/modules is a different size in 8.1 vs. 7.3.1. You could maybe try the old 7.3.1 module and see if that works. Also, I would download the "7.2.2.-oth-K1" kernel that drez linked in the image begging thread, run killhdinitrd 0.9.3 on it and see if it changes anything. Perhaps the newer kernel will solve your problem versus the old 3.1.5 kernel.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

ScanMan,

Thanks for your help. Jamie is currently working with me to resolve the issue. I believe we are going to just monte the new 8.1 kernel that has been null initd'd and go back to the original stock usb drivers to see if it works. Just waiting on Jamie to get back to me now.

I will let you know the outcome.

Shutterfriend

I have tried going to the 7.2 kernel posted in the slice thread with no success. I will try grabbing the driver from 7.3.

don't know why I didn't think of that: you should be able to use the tivo supplied 7.3.1 drivers for the devices not supported by the backport drivers.

I tried just replacing the isl38sm.o, CNX....o and p80211autojoin.o which is indicated in the usb.map to be used by my adapter but it still reboots. Should I try replacing the usbcore.o, usb-ohci.o and usbnet.o also?

I also replaced usb-ohci, usbnet, usbcore and ehci-hcd and still continuously reboots.

I also replaced usb-ohci, usbnet, usbcore and ehci-hcd and still continuously reboots.
    Kernel log?

We know the 7.3.1 modules work with the previous kernels we've used in the past, so this should work if you've done everything right.

Jamie,

I can get on the Tivo now because I switched back to backport drivers at least so I can connect with wired adapter as I am in the process of switching to 3.1.1c kernel with 8.1 kernel monte'd.

So the file you want is the kernel file in the /var/log directory, right?

Jamie,

Okay what files do you want me to copy over specifically and I will do that and then start TiVo and let you know the results. If you keeps rebooting I get the logs for you.

Shutterfriend

Jamie,

Okay what files do you want me to copy over specifically and I will do that and then start TiVo and let you know the results. If you keeps rebooting I get the logs for you.

Shutterfriend
    A serial console kernel log is the standard debugging tool for debugging startup problems.