Thread: Help With Drive Upgrade

Exclamation Help With Drive Upgrade

I'm trying to upgrade my Direct TV Hughes SD-DVR40 with a Western Digital 160 GB drive. I tried the disk copy referred to in Hinsdale's guide to copy everything from the old drive to the new drive. When I installed the new drive it wouldn't boot so I re-installed the old drive just to make sure everything still worked. With the old drive it went in to an endless loop. It says "powering up" then goes to the Direct TV splash page and says "almost there, just a few more minutes." Then it goes back to the powering up mode.

Does anybody have an idea what may be causing this or what I can do to troubleshoot the problem. I realize I can restore a clean image but I really don't want to lose all the recordings and "stuff".

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Tom

must have screwed up the old driver before copying like letting windows try to boot it and write a signature on it or somethng

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn
    must have screwed up the old driver before copying like letting windows try to boot it and write a signature on it or somethng
    I know this story of don't ever ever accidentally boot into Windows with a Tivo drive attached or you're automatically screwed seems to be held up as unquestionable common knowledge around here. But, I'm questioning it. Do any of you people really know for fact that this is true??

I wonder if all this healthy paranoia in the Tivo community doesn't stem from a couple, obscure, patched, bugs in NT 3.51 and Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q135308/
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837160
    Last edited by ocntscha; 03-27-2006 at 12:52 AM. Reason: I Googled it myself

I don't know if it's true but I am sure I did not boot into Windows. I had all of my hard drives disconnected.

I believe the issue with booting up with a windows drive is caused by xp or 2000 writing to the master boot record and overwriting what the Tivo OS needs to boot.
    Series 2 TCD140060 w/Lifetime, 9.3.2-01-2-140, 2x 250GB Seagate 7200.8 (638hrs), Monte'd, Tivotool, MRV.
    Unhacked TivoHD 500GB (76Hrs HD/638Hrs SD)

Quote Originally Posted by ocntscha
    I know this story of don't ever ever accidentally boot into Windows with a Tivo drive attached or you're automatically screwed seems to be held up as unquestionable common knowledge around here. But, I'm questioning it. Do any of you people really know for fact that this is true??

I wonder if all this healthy paranoia in the Tivo community doesn't stem from a couple, obscure, patched, bugs in NT 3.51 and Windows 2000
    I don't know for sure, but if you're really interested you could try it. Make sure you try to access the drive by opening a My Computer window or with Explorer to be sure it re-writes the drive's ident code in the MBR. And report your findings back here so we know whether to be paranoid or not.

BTW, even if you're paranoid it doesn't mean everybody's not out to get you.

ew

Quote Originally Posted by twh3842
    I don't know if it's true but I am sure I did not boot into Windows. I had all of my hard drives disconnected.
    I think all anyones going to be able to offer you is a suggestion to double and triple check your jumpers and cabling. Copying shouldn't have modified the source drive. Or, if you've got some kind of log of the commands you typed you could post them and maybe somebody could spot where you went wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by sucram65
    I believe the issue with booting up with a windows drive is caused by xp or 2000 writing to the master boot record and overwriting what the Tivo OS needs to boot.
    Thats exactly what everybody around here believes. I'm asking, does that belief have any basis in reality?

I cannot tell what you did wrong (other than the things already mentioned for you to try). I do however recommend this tool to help with the upgrade. It will build you a custom set of instructions based on you answering questions about what you want to do.
    The more you search, the more you find. The more you read, the more you may learn.
    It is just as important to know the things that DON'T work.

Attention Newbies -> Start with the document found HERE, I did.
    The opinions expressed in this post are based on my life experiences and may or may not reflect YOUR reality. Use the information provided at your own risk

6 - S2 - DTivos with a total of 1.1TB storage - Hacked, networked, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ocntscha View Post

Quote Originally Posted by eastwind View Post
    I don't know for sure, but if you're really interested you could try it. Make sure you try to access the drive by opening a My Computer window or with Explorer to be sure it re-writes the drive's ident code in the MBR. And report your findings back here so we know whether to be paranoid or not.
    I haven't been interested enough to bother testing it myself but today I ran across a posting on TCF today where one person says he's booted into XP multiple times with his Tivo drive attached and had no problems so then another guy decided to put it to the test for himself and intentionally booted XP with a Tivo drive installed, no problems for him either. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post4567763

Wow...waking up an old thread but since you have, I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. XP won't write a signature to the drive unless you specifically access it via disk manager. Even then, it asks for confirmation from you before performing the action. I haven't worked on a 2000 box for a bit but I think it's also the same case. So, booting with the Tivo drive installed won't kill it unless you go out of your way to do it (access disk via disk manager, click yes to write signature).