Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: MovieLoader: HME meets MFS_FTP

HME basics request

Sorry for tying things up here, but could someone post a url where I could learn about HME and such to get things working with my TIVO. THis all sounds great, and I am willing to dig in, just need a starting point please....
    Thanks,
    The Johnstr

Updated my Windows Vista today / yesterday.
    Now movieloader has error..
    "
    HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
    LOG: MovieLoader v0.17
    LOG: Java version 1.6.0_01 from Sun Microsystems Inc.
    LOG: Network interfaces:
    LOG: 127.0.0.1
    LOG: 192.168.0.109
    LOG: Parsing "C:\Rogers Programs\MovieLoader\MovieLoader.properties"
    LOG: Setting title to "MovieLoader Vista"
    LOG: Cache update interval set to 25 minutes.
    LOG: "Music Shows Vista" represents "C:\Users\Roger\Videos\Holding on Vista\Rockin America Videos"
    LOG: "Garage" represents "ftp://192.168.0.212:3105/tmf/"
    LOG: "Living Room" represents "ftp://192.168.0.220:3105/tmf/"
    Creating cache log file C:\Rogers Programs\MovieLoader\logs\cache50480.log
    LOG: added factory
    MDNS: http://192.168.0.109:50494/MovieLoader/
    Exception in thread "JmDNS.SocketListener" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 3 >= 3
    at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Unknown Source)
    at javax.jmdns.DNSRecord.suppressedBy(Unknown Source)
    at javax.jmdns.DNSOutgoing.addAnswer(Unknown Source)
    at javax.jmdns.JmDNS.handleQuery(Unknown Source)
    at javax.jmdns.JmDNS$SocketListener.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    "

Any ideas from anyone ?

OR
    Maby its because I installed Firefox but believe not.

Update

Still works on the TiVos

But when using the Computer with Tivo Simulator it does not work.
    http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/

Trying newer version
    tivo hme sdk 1.4.1e release.
    Last edited by Butch; 06-10-2009 at 09:38 PM.

I'm having movieloader fail the mfs_ftp stuff and I think it is port/interface caused. I get this in mfs_ftp's log:

Code:
    11:08:01:PM - "192,168,0,4:3105" ready for connections
    11:10:26:PM - abortcheck: "ping_pong"
    11:11:58:PM - newcsocket: {sock18} "192.168.0.1:2404"
    11:11:58:PM - abortcheck: "newcsocket"
    11:11:58:PM - 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p-patchlevel-20070717b - {sock18} from "192.168.0.1:2404"
    11:11:58:PM - 215 UNIX
    11:11:58:PM - readlinefromsocket: "sock18"
    11:11:58:PM - echo to verify: "PORT 127,0,0,1,9,101"
    11:11:58:PM - parseline:
    "PORT 127,0,0,1,9,101"
    11:11:58:PM - PORT 127,0,0,1,9,101
    bgerror invoked with error
    it was connected from 192.168.0.1. When I connect via ftp app, logs sow the port has 192,168,0,1,xxxx not 127... is there a way to tell Movieloader to only see one port. I tried "java -jar MovieLoader.jar --intf 192.168.0.1" but it did not change anything.
    Thanks.

Internet Exploror sucks for me. Now using firefox.. awsome.

I installed a wireless on my computer and all works.
    So then I went back to network card and all is working again.

Not sure what happen but all is good.

Is there a way that if the program gets locked / dies / can we get it to restart by itself.
    I have tivos that are programmed to reboot at certain times and if it reboots during the movieloader cach update then movieloader crashes or should I say stops working / frezzes at that point.
    I have to manually restart it on the computer about 5 times a week.

I'd like to add a feature

I've got a lot of family movies, that have come from camera, phone, relatives, in all types of formats. I've converted them and uploaded to tivo using movieloader. What a pleasure to point, click and view. (my newer Directv tivo uses tversity to do something similar, but the hr10-250 and movieloader I still have, are much much better.)

Pointing and clicking on the PC to get them all converted is a pain! FFmpeg does a great job, my memory for arguments is not too good.

I'd like to change movieloader to look in a directory, and offer a selection to upload a mp4, or AVI, or mp3 file. Then movieloader could launch FFmpeg, convert to tivo format, and upload when complete.

I've looked at the (lots of modules) movieloader source. Can you offer a starting place to start looking at the modules that I should probably be looking at. Trying to get a handle on all at once, may take me too long, and would loose interest..and just write a script do do the conversions without movieloader.

I'd be happy to share any result back with you.
    Last edited by tas3086; 01-10-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling

I think I would approach this from a different point of view. I'd work on a tool to facilitate using ffmpeg rather than adding this functionality to MovieLoader.

Have your tool monitor a folder (or list of folders) where you drop your mp3/avi/mp3 files. It would then launch ffmpeg with appropriate parameters and generate the TiVo compatible files in the folder(s) that MovieLoader uses.

If you really want to add this functionality to MovieLoader, you should be looking in LocalMediaFile.java, LocalMediaFolder.java, FileToFileCopier.java, and FileToURLCopier.java. These are the classes that deal with files on a local files system and with transferring them.
    -- gfb107

Quote Originally Posted by gfb107 View Post
    I think I would approach this from a different point of view. I'd work on a tool to facilitate using ffmpeg rather than adding this functionality to MovieLoader.
    Yeah, that would be the easiest approach, but not the most fun and challenging one! This will give me a chance to keep my skills up to date, and also let me play around with a program that I really enjoy. Thanks for making it available to everyone.

Extend timeout?

MovieLoader periodically contacts the Tivo to ask it what programs it has so that MovieLoader can cache them. My Tivo answers that question slowly, and MovieLoader often times out. Is there a way that I can lengthen the timeout?

Quote Originally Posted by kfcrary View Post
    MovieLoader periodically contacts the Tivo to ask it what programs it has so that MovieLoader can cache them. My Tivo answers that question slowly, and MovieLoader often times out. Is there a way that I can lengthen the timeout?
    How many shows do you have on your TiVo? mfs_ftp.tcl, the ftp server which runs on your TiVo can take minutes to do a directory scan if you have several hundred or more shows. If you don't have a lot of shows, then I'm surprised that you are seeing timeouts. Even so, I've had TiVos with over 800 shows and never seen a timeout.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to lengthen the timeout from MovieLoader. Ideally, it would be something that could be set in the .properties file. I believe the code uses the standard Java library to actually do the ftp client side stuff, maybe there's a generic property there you can set.

Quote Originally Posted by wundernaut View Post
    How many shows do you have on your TiVo? mfs_ftp.tcl, the ftp server which runs on your TiVo can take minutes to do a directory scan if you have several hundred or more shows. If you don't have a lot of shows, then I'm surprised that you are seeing timeouts. Even so, I've had TiVos with over 800 shows and never seen a timeout.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to lengthen the timeout from MovieLoader. Ideally, it would be something that could be set in the .properties file. I believe the code uses the standard Java library to actually do the ftp client side stuff, maybe there's a generic property there you can set.
    I've only got 330 or so programs, but I get timeouts all the time. According to the log, it's only waiting 30 seconds:

Code:
    10/17/11 1:12:46 PM: Updating ftp://192.168.0.102:3105/tmf/
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	org.apache.commons.net.telnet.TelnetInputStream.__read(TelnetInputStream.java:114)
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	org.apache.commons.net.telnet.TelnetInputStream.run(TelnetInputStream.java:535)
    10/17/11 1:13:16 PM: 	java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

At 330 programs, it's possible that it could indeed take 30 seconds or more to return a listing. Have you verified this by connecting to your mfs_ftp server on your TiVo via a standard ftp client program, and done a directory ("ls -l" or similar) listing to see how long it takes? If you don't know how, just ftp to your TiVo's IP address at port 3105.

If that's what is going on, I still don't know how to increase the timeout. A quick Google of "java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out" didn't reveal an easy way to fix the timeout. Note there are two types of timeouts you may be dealing with. One is a possible timeout of the overall directory listing. Another is a timeout due to no data being returned by the ftp server in the middle of the directory listing. Unfortunately, the way mfs_ftp is written it builds a list internally of the entire directory, and then sends it to the client in one long burst. As a result, it may send no data at all to the client for a couple of minutes, which causes the client to think the server has timed out.

It's likely this latter issue is the cause of your problems. From my cursory search, it doesn't look like there's an easy way to increase the timeout in the .properties file. If you know java (I don't), supposedly the MovieLoader.jar file contains the java source code and you can increase the timeout there with the proper call to whatever handles the ftp client stuff. The Google search I did before gave some clues you might want to look into.

The alternative is to attack it from the mfs_ftp side. However, there's no easy way to get mfs_ftp to send data to the client as it reads the directory; this behavior is deeply embedded into the tcl code. A long time ago, somebody did post a patch to mfs_ftp that reportedly did send data to the client as it was generated. I've never tried it and I don't know if it works, and you'll have to go through the main mfs_ftp support thread to find it.

Neither MovieLoader nor mfs_ftp.tcl are being actively supported currently as far as I can tell. The simplest fix may be to go through your 330 programs, and archive off what you don't immediately need to a disk somewhere so the directory listing takes less than 30 seconds on your TiVo. If this archive disk is on the PC running MovieLoader, the beauty of MovieLoader is that you can easily move any program you want to view from your archive disk back to your TiVo. If you have a NAS that supports a ftp server with a passive mode, you might even be able to get MovieLoader to transfer programs between it and your TiVo, though that's a hit or miss deal.

Here's a patched version of 0.17 to allow for filenames that include the FSID as an additional item.
    Last edited by jkozee; 07-04-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Version removed see below for a new version