Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MovieLoader: HME meets MFS_FTP

Quote Originally Posted by gfb107 View Post
    18 downloads and no feedback?
    I didn't want to get too greedy, you've done such nice work so-far. But since you asked, here's my wish list:
    • When you in initiate a transfer, some sort of progress indicator would be nice.
    • If you leave a transfer in progress and come back to it, it would be nice to show you that it's already being uploaded and pickup the progress bar where it left off.
    • An option to list shows currently on the tivo and initiate downloads of them to the PC. (MovieLoader in reverse.)

I'll see what else I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_zorg View Post
    An interesting idea, but from what I've seen retrieving the directory listing from mfs_ftp is pretty slow. If it had to scan those file listings everytime you fired it up I should think it would be real slow... Not to mention trying to extract the xml out of a tmf file would be a disaster...
    First off, the app looks really good. I downloaded a file locally so I could serve up something from it and the interface is slick.

Back to the feature request: let the ftp mounting utility worry about the ftp. My suggestion to let you specify alternate directories is just to facilitate that, but the feature would be nice regardless. I don't know about other people's home systems, but I have at least three different apps (off the top of my head -- tivoserver, media center pc, and xbmc) that serve up and\or consume media content. This one would make four. I (and others I am guessing) need to be able to separate where the content is stored from the apps that are serving it up and consuming it. The ftp example is just one scenario. Media can be on NAS's, shares, etc. where java and movieloader can't be installed, so it'd be nice to be able to tell it where to look for files.

As an aside, the ftp drive mounting utility I am using does it's own caching. I'm having mixed results with it, but the caching works great. It doesn't hit the ftp server every time the mount is queried and you can specify the cache timeout.

I think adding support for multiple source directories is spot on. My initial thought is that each of these directories would appear as individual folders that could be drilled into, rather than merged into a single virtual directory.

If there is only one source directory, I would list it's content directly, to save one level of drilling.
    -- gfb107

I've uploaded a new version. See the announcement post.
    -- gfb107

I've uploaded another new version. See the announcement post.
    -- gfb107

Nice. One thing I've noticed is when I run it and leave it up, I'm unable to access it later on in the day. It's still running on my PC, but the TiVo doesn't see it anymore. I don't think this is a problem with MovieLoader, per se, but has anyone else noticed this?

EDIT: This may be because my script was not invoking it with the now recommended -jar method. I was still invoking it the original way.
    Last edited by mr_zorg; 12-10-2006 at 08:35 PM.

It might be related to the Idle Event. I don't handle it, figuring if the user has been idle for 15 minutes it's OK to switch away.

Here's the documentation on it:
    Idle Event

An Idle event is sent by the Receiver to the application when the user
    has been inactive for 15 minutes. After this time, the Receiver times
    out to live TV. The purpose of this event is to prevent burn-in on expensive screens. If you do not want your application to time out, it
    should send an acknowledgment within 15 seconds of receiving the
    Idle event by implementing handleIdle() and calling
    application.acknowledgeIdle(true).
    If your application does not time out to live TV, it is a good idea to
    run your own screen saver in response to an Idle event. This
    technique will prevent screen burn-in on plasma and other expensive
    televisions.
    -- gfb107

Quote Originally Posted by gfb107 View Post
    It might be related to the Idle Event. I don't handle it, figuring if the user has been idle for 15 minutes it's OK to switch away.
    Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I was talking about leaving the MovieLoader.jar up all the time on my server... Not actually leaving MovieLoader GUI up on the TiVo. I changed the way I was starting up the jar, so we'll see in a day or two if I can still access it. I figure it must be user error.

Pssst.............. For all of you drooling at the prospect of MovieLoader, the 6.x/HR10-250 Tips thread now lists HME patches! Enjoy, everyone.

Sweet. It's time to finally hack my HR10-250.

So I've been poking around at the source code. Sadly, Java is not my language (and I'm not really a coder anyway), or I'd actually have some code to share. Instead, your stuck with just ideas.

Given that...it looks like it wouldn't take a huge amount of modifications to use another Tivo w/mfs_ftp as a source. The trickiest bit, I suppose, would be enabling some kind of fxp-style xfr, but since MovieLoader already understands multiple "sources" in the form of directories, then it should be possible to have it understand more sources in the form of mfs_ftp hosts.

If I get some time I'll poke around at this, but I've already got way too many projects on my plate as is and it's the season where I have even less free time than normal. Oh, yeah, and I'm not much of a coder, as I stated.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

I'm not a 6.3 user or even have a HR10-250.... but I think this might be helpful to you guys:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...232#post253232

With chrised's patch (just put p2.tcl in your mfs_ftp folder), mfs_ftp lists the files progressively, instead of dumping a file list all at once 20 seconds after the request. If it doesn't already, MovieLoader should list the shows as they come in, if the user is using p2.tcl. It should probably even be recommended.
    (Should also recommend chrised's other patch that preserves folders for recordings with series in mfs_ftp, although I'm not certain if it works with 6.3x: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...780#post246780)

Note: chrised was modest and stated that the load time might be slower than unpatched with this patch... I've been keeping track in my FTP Client how many seconds it takes to load a directory with and without the patch, and the times are the same.
    Last edited by drez; 12-13-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    Given that...it looks like it wouldn't take a huge amount of modifications to use another Tivo w/mfs_ftp as a source. The trickiest bit, I suppose, would be enabling some kind of fxp-style xfr, but since MovieLoader already understands multiple "sources" in the form of directories, then it should be possible to have it understand more sources in the form of mfs_ftp hosts.
    That is actually the impetus for adding multiple directory sources. Most OS's have some mechanism for mounting and FTP directory, just do that and point movie loader at it. On my mac, for example, I can just do "mount_ftp 192.168.x.x/tmf /Volumes/MyTiVo" and then add "/Volumes/MyTiVo" as one of movie loader's sources. (Of course you could use the gui to mount it, but what fun is that?)
    Last edited by mr_zorg; 12-13-2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added an example

Quote Originally Posted by mr_zorg View Post
    That is actually the impetus for adding multiple directory sources. Most OS's have some mechanism for mounting and FTP directory, just do that and point movie loader at it.
    I thought about that, and it would certainly work. But I see two drawbacks to that approach:
    • It's a bit kludgey
    • It theoretically doubles the transfer time.

By the second item, I mean that the video data is transferred from the remote Tivo to the PC running MovieLoader via the ftp-mounted-as-a-directory client, then uploaded from PC to the HME Tivo via an mfs_ftp put.

A slicker solution would be to fire off some kind of fxp-based transfer so that the data goes directly from remote Tivo to HME Tivo. But that may not be as trivial as I originally thought, based on the ftp thread code in MovieLoader.

(Need to find a nice command-line-based fxp client...preferably an open-source multiplatform one...then we could just spawn it as needed.)
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    A slicker solution would be to fire off some kind of fxp-based transfer so that the data goes directly from remote Tivo to HME Tivo. But that may not be as trivial as I originally thought, based on the ftp thread code in MovieLoader.
    I'm not familiar with fxp... In order to go directly from tivo-to-tivo, it would need to telnet into the tivo to kick off the transfer, no doubt. As it stands right now (and it sounds like you're aware, but just in case you're not), the HME doesn't actually run on the TiVo at all, so issuing the command via telnet would be the only way to do it, I would think.

As for doubling the transfer time, even the fastest extract time I've heard of isn't so fast that doubling it would cause any problems for a decent 100Mbps network. Of course, I don't have two tivo's so I can't test that theory.