Thread: DTV with hacked 7.2.1 software or above?

DTV with hacked 7.2.1 software or above?

Has anyone successfully hacked a 7.2.1 or above image that works on DirecTV? I haven't been on in awhile and I am running 6.2-01-2-321 software on 2 DVR40s . I have searched and found bits and pieces of information, but nothing that directly says that this has been done. The reason I am asking is I want to use Galleon, since the developers abandoned us dropping support in JavaHMO. Thanks in advance for any help.

7.x won't run on DTivos. The latest version is 6.1, 6.3 or 6.2 depending on your model (R10, HR10-250 or anything else)

DTV with hacked 7.2.1 software or above?

Is there anyone working on this, or is there a limitation not allowing it? I have seen posts also about 8.x software, is there anything out there in that respect? Any advice before I brush up on my Java to update the plugins for JavaHMO.

There are lots of hurdles to overcome. 7.x is missing very important parts of the code needed for all the DTV stuff. Some people have been experimenting to get the unit to boot up, mixing and matching files from both versions...

Still, like I said, 7.x is missing important pieces of the DTV code. My guess is should abandon hope. 8.x has changed even more than 7.x, so it's even a longer shot than 7.x

Is there anyway to maybe keep the current softwate on the dtv and upgrade via slices?

Quote Originally Posted by jasch View Post
    There are lots of hurdles to overcome. 7.x is missing very important parts of the code needed for all the DTV stuff. Some people have been experimenting to get the unit to boot up, mixing and matching files from both versions...

Still, like I said, 7.x is missing important pieces of the DTV code. My guess is should abandon hope. 8.x has changed even more than 7.x, so it's even a longer shot than 7.x
    5 Hughes Dtivo all running 6.2 and hacked

The upgrade won't take. Just give it a rest.

DTV with hacked 7.2.1 software of above?

Has DTV stopped updating the software on their TiVo units that are set to receive them (non-hacked units)? Is it time to abandon the TiVo with DTV and build a MythTV box?

3.x was the latest version everyone expected on the DirecTivos for a long time. SA Tivos had 4.x, 5.x, 7.x, etc.

Until the R10 was released 1+ year go... it came with 6.1, then the other units were updated to 6.2, and just recently the HDTivo to 6.3

I would expect this is the last version for DTivos unless something critical comes around...

Anywya, the units works fine as it is. Why would you want a newer version on the same hardware? Have you seen the SA Tivos? With every new version they are slower and slower as more features are crammed on the same slow hardware.

Even with current versions, is not as if DTV enabled all features to subscribers... (MRV, etc)

You can build a MythTV box I guess, but TiVo is simply Tivo. Nothing has ever come close, even tough everyone seems to copy them. Also, the ability to record directly from the satellite stream is a plus for me. Small filesizes, no digital-analog-digital conversion.

If you want HME, maybe...only 6.3 has the HME code (6.1 and 6.2 do not).

Probably an easier trick would be to try and get 6.3 running on SD DTivos...but of course then you lose MRV. Probably not worth doing that.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

And we have to wait for a HME superpatch for 6.3 to be made public also. Last I heard was that we are waiting on 6.3b (if ever) to fix some issues before making the patch public.

so let me understand the HME is part of the 6.3 but not the 6.1 or 6.2 software.
    I guess the next question would be will the 6.3 run on the same systems 6.2 runs on?

And we have to wait for a HME superpatch for 6.3 to be made public also. Last I heard was that we are waiting on 6.3b (if ever) to fix some issues before making the patch public.
    5 Hughes Dtivo all running 6.2 and hacked

Well, you cannot run both (you can only run one tivoapp). If 6.3 can teoretically/practically run on SD DTivo units, then you will loose MRV.

6.3 apparently is derived from SA 7.x or early SA 8.x work, because of the HME and HD stuff. But this time around Tivo made sure that all MRV was stripped from the code.

6.1 and 6.2 is derived from SA 4.x

SA 5.x is for DVD units. There was never a SA 6.x trunk.

<snip>
    SA 5.x is for DVD units. There was never a SA 6.x trunk.
    I don't disagree; however, I think 5.x was also deployed as the initial software release for the Series 2.5 (540).
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

6.3 apparently is derived from SA 7.x or early SA 8.x work, because of the HME and HD stuff. But this time around Tivo made sure that all MRV was stripped from the code.

6.1 and 6.2 is derived from SA 4.x

I think 6.1 and 6.2 are derived from SA 7.1 work (7.1 was released in January 2005. From the file dates, 6.2 seems to have been completed in November 2004. Released into the sat stream in February 2005, and finally rolled out to everybody in May 2005.)

6.3 seems to have been derived from SA 7.2 work from what I've read from Jamie.

So bottom line is I was looking to get HME working on a S2 DTiVo while keeping MRV (and any other hacks). It seems that this would be highly requested functionality, given the feel of the community and the fact that the best recordings come from pure digital form with DTV. I don't care if I run 3.x, 4.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x or install Ubuntu on the box (joking) to get this to work, or whatever other hoops I may have to jump through. It seems we've all been told "It can't be done" before, case in point is the RID units. I just dont want to give up hope on the DTiVo units yet, when I see HME running on my friends SA unit and it is so much more intuitive of an interface and seems that many more possibilities can be had with it. In any case thanks to all those who have responded and Happy Holidays!