Thread: R10 and 3rd party MIPS linux

R10 and 3rd party MIPS linux

Hello,

For the longest time I wanted a way to use directv digitally with mythtv. With cable boxes and firewire, you can have the mpeg transport stream over firewire which mythtv can use.

My whole goal here is to get a directv R10 and get a MIPS linux distro booting on it. I don't want to use the tivo linux on it. I want to run mythtv backend on it so I'd have access to directv programming from any mythtv frontend terminal.
    Reason why I'm asking here is about drivers for the dss tuner and dss SoC as well as the RID security. I want to have the R10 activated like any other R10, used legally with my directv subscription, but I want it to run mythtv backend and have access to it from the network hopefully running debian MIPS or something.

I understand this is far from trivial and right now I just want to get a 3rd party MIPS linux distro booting on it, hopefully printing everything out via the serial port. Obviously I need a modified prom but I have not been able to find an image. When the R10 boots, it looks for the mbr and a bootloader on the drive?

If getting this to at least work somewhat is like trying to get oil and water to mix in terms of the RID support, think I can use a series 2 without RID? Right now I just want it to boot and hopefully get a prompt.

I don't want to use tivo's interface or software, I want to use mythtv backend with directv, thats what I'm looking to accomplish.

Thanks.

Jonathan

If I had to guess, I'd say this wasn't possible, but then you never know.

The R10 is probably the worst box to try this with, since it requires a PROM mod to do anything with. You'd be much better off getting another S2. I don't know whether RID makes things more complicated (though I bet it does), so perhaps an HDVR2 or somesuch.

Search the forum for "debian MIPS" and you'll find a thread or two on getting a MIPS implementation of Debian running. How you manage to interface dssapp, etc., is beyond me.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

To take a (slightly) contrary view, replacing the prom is the least of the obstacles. Writing a replacement for the dssapp funtionality would be much more difficult, but would still be trivial compared to reverse engineering drivers for all the hardware.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I don't disagree. Then there's the access card stuff. If this isn't impossible, it's as close as makes no odds. But if you really wanna try, getting Debian MIPS running on an HDVR2 will be easier than it would on an R10.

By the way, didja see how we beat the Vikings without using an offense?
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.