Thread: Help. I think I messed up my box!!

Help. I think I messed up my box!!

So I thought I'd try to do a manual upgrade to 6.3b, and it didn't work out too well.

All I did was edit the installSw.itcl to remove "reboot" and replace it with "exit 0"

Then I ran the script against the new code. It did it's job and the upgrade appeared to take.

So next I went ahead and DDed a hacked kernel (7.2.2) to the x-1 partition (where x is root). Which again seems to take.

Here's where things started to get weird.

I went ahead and mounted the root. Then I renamed iptables and created my new one. Then I stared to move stuff over from my old hack directory to /dev/hda7 (new root). Stuff like rc.sysinit.author, and /hack/bin, ect. Before I could get everthing copied over the tivo told me I was out of space.

So after that I loaded the disk and tried to boot. The box hangs on the first screen. So I thought, let's go back. I changed my bootpage to go back to my old root. I didn't think it would work but I thought I'd try it.

I'm lost and I don't know what needs done. Help!!!
    HR10-250 (50 Hours HD)
    SAT-T60 (105 Hours), Turbonet

You may have to pull the drive. Odds are one of the hacks you copied was AlphaWolf's all-in-one utils. Busybox (included with the tools) comes with a whole crapload of links. Depending on the copy method you used, it may have turned each link into a copy of the busybox binary, which will definitely fill up your root.

Changing back should've worked though. What does your boot log show?

Oh, and because I have to...

Q: How do you get the Ohio State grad off of your front porch?
    A: Pay for the pizza.

--some wildcat
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Good idea about checking the boot log. I was in a hurry this morning and didn't even think about that. I'm also going to remove everything execpt tivoftpd from the root. I did comment out everything from my rc.sysinit.author except telnet and serial so no apps should have loaded. Could the lack of room on the root cause this?

I had to pull the drive to change the bootpage, so it's already pulled.

If I do end up having to recover from my backup disk, is there a way to pull of recordings and then I could use mfs_ftp to reinsert them?
    HR10-250 (50 Hours HD)
    SAT-T60 (105 Hours), Turbonet

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
    Good idea about checking the boot log. I was in a hurry this morning and didn't even think about that. I'm also going to remove everything execpt tivoftpd from the root. I did comment out everything from my rc.sysinit.author except telnet and serial so no apps should have loaded. Could the lack of room on the root cause this?
    Possibly -- but it seems weird that flipping back didn't work.
    If I do end up having to recover from my backup disk, is there a way to pull of recordings and then I could use mfs_ftp to reinsert them?
    If the recordings are unencrypted, yeah...check the extraction forum as there's a sticky thread covering this. I've never done it myself.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.