Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mfs_ftp

Mfs_ftp

Oh here we go! I have a HR10 that has been hacked to run HME/HMO, backdoor, 30sec Skip, and bufferhack. I have enabled TWP and it is all working on Jamies backported drivers and a wireless G tivo adapter.
    Right now I am interested in inserting movies/shows onto my HR10 via MFS_FTP. I've read through a good portion of all three threads that relate to setting it up, but I don't quite understand how to setup these files and get them working. Any advice would be appreciated.

my mfs_ftp install method

For what it's worth, here are the instructions I developed from the threads and used to install mfs_ftp on my hr10-250 running 6.3b and my RCA directv dvr running 6.2:

To install mfs_ftp: Upload mfs ftp.tar (v 1.2.9, see post #4). Then:

cd /hack
    tar -xvf mfs_ftp.tar
    rm mfs_ftp.tar

This should result in a directory called mfs_ftp. Now move the following files (from mfs-utils src, see post #4) into directory mfs_ftp:

mv mfs_ftp.jamie.patch /hack/mfs_ftp
    mv mfs_ftp.jbuehl.patch /hack/mfs_ftp

Now move the following files (from mfs-utils bin.mips, see post #4) into directory mfs_ftp (mfs_export, stream, and tarstream will replace the s1 binaries that are in the mfs_ftp directory):

mv mfs_export /hack/mfs_ftp
    mv mfs_import /hack/mfs_ftp
    mv mfs_stream /hack/mfs_ftp
    mv mfs_tarstream /hack/mfs_ftp
    mv mfs_uberexport /hack/mfs_ftp

Finally, move tzoffset.tcl (see post #4) into directory mfs_ftp (tzoffset.tcl will replace the tzoffset.tcl that is in the mfs_ftp directory:

mv tzoffset.tcl /hack/mfs_ftp

Now, remove mfs_stdinsert from directory mfs_ftp and create a symlink for mfs_stdinsert from mfs_import:

cd /hack/mfs_ftp
    rm mfs_stdinsert
    ln -s mfs_import mfs_stdinsert

Next we "patch" mfs_ftp.tcl as follows:

cd /hack/mfs_ftp
    patch -p0 < mfs_ftp.jbuehl.patch
    patch -p0 < mfs_ftp.jamie.patch
    rm mfs_ftp.jbuehl.patch
    rm mfs_ftp.jamie.patch

Then it is necessary to edit mfs_ftp.tcl to remove or comment out ALL lines containing "TmkEvent". I found eight instances of TmkEvent, two of which were already commented out.

Finally, using vi go to line 709 in mfs_ftp.tcl and in the line "set temp [string range $info(mc) 0 4] ; outd $p "header descriptor is...", change the 4 to 3.

Note: Some have had problems with tzoffset.tcl not creating a file called tzoffset.txt (which contains your timezone information) when you first run mfs_ftp.tcl. The version of tvoffset.tcl referenced in mr zorg's post (#4) worked for me, but a workaround is to create a file named tzoffset.txt using "touch" or a test editor such as "vi" or creating one on your pc and uploading it to the mfs_ftp directory. Such a file, even if empty, is necessary to run mfs_ftp.
    Last edited by steve90071; 02-18-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: to correct post references (from 3 to 4) and line reference (from 704 to 709).

Worked like a charm, thanks.

I recently lost my mfs_ftp installation and followed these directions to reinstall. Worked great. My only trouble was where to find all these files...

So, here you go:

Please feel free to correct me if there's a better place to get any of these.
    Last edited by mr_zorg; 12-28-2006 at 07:58 PM.

Hendersonville, TN (just outside of Nashville)
    Your timing could not have better. I was just looking for some good install instructions for mfs_ftp! Thanks for takign the time to document.

I followed the install instructions above to the letter, almost.

The only difference (I think) is that I placed this in my hacks directory. I did this because this is supposed a safe place from being wiped periodically. Here is how it laid out. A snapshot from SmartFTP.

Everything seemed to go well until I tried to start it.

mfs_ftp.tcl resides in /hacks/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl. Below is a picture of the error I got after trying to start it.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
    Last edited by Growler; 12-30-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Add tzoffset.txt to your mfs_ftp dir.

Code:
    # <tzoffset>-18000</tzoffset>
    set info(tzoffset) -21600
    The -21600 is the number of seconds your time zone is offset from GMT.

Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Add tzoffset.txt to your mfs_ftp dir.

Code:
    # <tzoffset>-18000</tzoffset>
    set info(tzoffset) -21600
    The -21600 is the number of seconds your time zone is offset from GMT.

Vegas
    I created a notepad document "tzoffset.txt", inserted you code verbatim, saved, and ftp'd to mfs_ftp directory.

Typed in a telnet session while in the correct directory I entered "mfs_ftp.tcl". This time I got no error.

I just got the bash prompt again. Does this mean it is running? Correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Growler View Post
    Typed in a telnet session while in the correct directory I entered "mfs_ftp.tcl". This time I got no error.

I just got the bash prompt again. Does this mean it is running? Correctly?
    You should be running, use ps from bash prompt and you should see mfs_ftp running. If it is running you will need to change the port to 3105 in your FTP settings to view the mfs directory, you are currently using port 21.
    (2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
    (1) HR10-250 2TB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 300GB 6.4a
    (3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
    RandC

Quote Originally Posted by RandC View Post
    You should be running, use ps from bash prompt and you should see mfs_ftp running. If it is running you will need to change the port to 3105 in your FTP settings to view the mfs directory, you are currently using port 21.

Hey RandC. You were exactly right. It worked! I extracted my first file with great results.

Question 1- I had to change this hacks directory from read-only to read-write to get all the files in place. Is it OK to change it back to RO?

Question 2- Do I need to or should I shutdown mfs_ftp each time I want to use it? If so, how do I shut it down? (I know it is a dumb question)

Question 3- Is there a easier, more automated way to start up mfs_ftp something like Tytool does?

Many start mfs_ftp in rc.sysinit.author and just let it run. No real harm in doing so.

If you've put the files on the root partition rather than /var, then it's fine to remount the volume RO.
    Steve

Question 2- Do I need to or should I shutdown mfs_ftp each time I want to use it? If so, how do I shut it down? (I know it is a dumb question)
    As stevel replied you can leave it running if you wish, but if you want to shut it down you can enter this from the bash prompt while you are in your /hack/mfs_ftp directory. Also note that if root is RO you will to make root RW for this command to work since you are not in /var

mv abort.doc abort.txt

It will take several minutes for mfs_ftp.tcl to shut down
    (2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
    (1) HR10-250 2TB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 300GB 6.4a
    (3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
    RandC

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    If you've put the files on the root partition rather than /var, then it's fine to remount the volume RO.
    I think you guys were right. I went to mount remount the volume RO, but it keeps saying it is busy. I am assuming this is due to the mfs_ftp.tcl running. I am guessing I will have to shutdown in order to go back to RO.

I will have to abort to remount RO?

Now it looks like a bad idea for me to put this in the /hacks directory...

I've been running from /hack/mfs_ftp for years, but then I also keep / mounted R/W. Never had a problem.

Leaving / mounted R/W has been discussed here many times. You do run the risk of a corrupted files system. In my view the choice depends on how you use your Tivo.

I don't store anything long term on the Tivo. If I want to save something for more than a couple of days I download it and archive to a network server.
    Should I ever end up with a corrupted system, I would simply reload a backup of the drive and be up and running in about 15 minutes.

On the other hand, if your Tivo holds those shows you must have or you use it for long term storage, then maybe its not such a good idea to leave it R/W.

Just my $.02 worth.

Vegas

I think you guys were right. I went to mount remount the volume RO, but it keeps saying it is busy. I am assuming this is due to the mfs_ftp.tcl running. I am guessing I will have to shutdown in order to go back to RO.

I will have to abort to remount RO?

Now it looks like a bad idea for me to put this in the /hacks directory...
    There is nothing wrong with putting mfs-ftp in the /hacks directory. The problem is not mfs_ftp.tcl, it's the log file. The solution is simple - place the mfs_ftp log file somewhere in /var (/var/log?), then place a symlink to it in /hacks.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    There is nothing wrong with putting mfs-ftp in the /hacks directory. The problem is not mfs_ftp.tcl, it's the log file. The solution is simple - place the mfs_ftp log file somewhere in /var (/var/log?), then place a symlink to it in /hacks.

PlainBill
    Hey PlainBill,

Sounds plausible. How does a neophyte create such a link? I can get the log file moved, but have no clue how to create a simlink.

Also, if this log file is placed in a directory that is periodically wiped by the Tivo what will happen to mfs_ftp when this file is no longer there and it tried to write to it?