Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions.

re

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    You ask some interesting questions, but don't seem to be aware the answers are right in front of you.

First of all, I believe the official DirecTV statement is 'We will be launching a pair of satellites this year that give us the capability of up to 70 national HD channels.' As you implied, channel capability does not necessarily translate immeadiately to content. So where will the content come from?

First of all, take a look at the channels already available in HD. IIRC, HBO and Showtime each have one HD channel available. DirecTV has 1 HD PPV channel available, I'm not sure about Dish.

Even if you have no interest in sports, others do, and ESPN is not ignoring that source of revenue. Neither is the NFL, and MLB, NBA, and NASCAR are sure to jump on the bandwagon IF they think they can make money that way.

At this moment, there are several things blocking the addition of HD channels. They can be summarized as viewers, distribution channels, and cost. Both DirecTV and Dish are adding satellites capable of in excess of 50 HD channels; that provides the distribution channels. HDTV receiver sales are increasing as costs drop - and costs are dropping rapidly. Production costs ARE a consideration, but that is not a show-stopper.

Twenty some years ago when we first got cable, they carried only 1 channel of each of the major premium networks (Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, etc.). Now there are over 30 such channels on DirecTV. The 8 HBO channels cost less in 'real' dollars than the single HBO channel did 20 years ago. And note that the production costs for most of their programming is nil - movies are already in HD format.

So what will fill the new channels? I'm no expert, but I expect to see both east and west coast premium HD channels mirroring the SD programming. The half dozen or more free movie channels (AMC, TMC, and FMC, Lifetime, Hallmark, etc) will certainly jump on the opportunity. Of course, the sports channels will be joining in. Expect a HD History channel. And sadly, expect HD shopping channels, and HD 'Christian' channels. (Pat Robertson certainly won't be able to resist pontificating in HD). And if you screw up, we might even be able to watch you on HD Court TV.

PlainBill
    WELL SAID!!!!

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by alfonzotan View Post
    No doubt all that is correct, but there certainly isn't any rush among the non-premium channels to "go HD" right now. UniversalHD is famously a money-loser, for instance, which is inhibiting NBC Universal from pushing out more HD networks. I'd love to see Sci-Fi HD, HistoryHD, Turner ClassicsHD, etc., but as of now, those aren't even vapor. Not only do they not exist (yet--I'm sure they will at some as-yet unknown point), they haven't even been announced as "coming soon." The extra HD capacity DirecTV is putting in right now is going to go to locals, premiums, and sports subscriptions for the time being. As I said, that's stuff I don't need. As in all things, your own mileage may well vary.

As for the sports channels, I'm fortunate enough to live where I can get all the sports programming I want without buying additional service (mostly college football; I don't have any interest in pro sports or NASCAR, but obviously others do, and fine for them). For those who *do* want the additional sports programming, obviously going to the MP4 box is a more pressing option than it is for me.

I'd love to see DirecTV come out and announce what kind of content is actually going to be available in all that extra capacity, but so far, they haven't said much of anything about it, other than promising lots of locals. That tells me they really don't have much new to offer in the near future--which isn't really their fault. There still just isn't much out there in HD.

Do you have a HD-TV?

If so, and if you want HD programming you will have to make a choose.
    The HR10 will be a paper weight in the beginning of 2008!!!!!!!(no more mpeg2).
    You can get the HR20 now and learn it so when the time comes you will be
    ready for mpeg4. The HR10 does not have the resolution like the HR20 does.

If not ,, get a Tivo SD-40...

Also there is no comparing cable with satellite.

Quote Originally Posted by devildog View Post
    Do you have a HD-TV?

If so, and if you want HD programming you will have to make a choose.
    The HR10 will be a paper weight in the beginning of 2008!!!!!!!(no more mpeg2).
    You can get the HR20 now and learn it so when the time comes you will be
    ready for mpeg4. The HR10 does not have the resolution like the HR20 does.

If not ,, get a Tivo SD-40...

Also there is no comparing cable with satellite.
    Yep. Had one for about 16 months now.

Thanks for the advice, but I have absolutely no reason to switch to an HR20 anytime soon, for the reasons noted above. Given DirecTV's previous glacial roll-outs, I doubt very seriously that they're going to turn off the vast majority of their installed base (MPEG2) by next January. I could be wrong, but I'll be quite surprised if I am.

Like I said, when the content is there, I'll gladly take another look, but it's pretty likely that the content won't be there anytime soon, and the HR20 hardware ain't worth switching to right now.

I hate cable companies with a passion. Ain't going back there.

I've been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years. If they try to force me to use their junk instead of my HDTivo, I'll switch to cable. I'm on the verge of doing it anyhow because of their refusal to let me have reasonable access to my legitimately recorded content.

re

Quote Originally Posted by vanyel View Post
    I've been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years. If they try to force me to use their junk instead of my HDTivo, I'll switch to cable. I'm on the verge of doing it anyhow because of their refusal to let me have reasonable access to my legitimately recorded content.
    Cable is sattilite down graded to wire!!!!!
    Now this cable line that goes from the cable company to
    your house has breaks (connections) and then you have
    the electrical and telephone wires that interfere with the
    cable signal..that is a fact.
    So if you like a crappy picture, then get cable...

electrical and telephone don't interfere with cable unless something is seriously wrong with your wiring, especially digital cable. and cable doesn't have to worry about a little bit of snow blocking the signal like happened the other day. any tech has vulnerabilities. I switched to satellite because analog cable sucked, but that's obsolete now. Dish hardware/software sucks, DirecTV policies suck. Maybe it's time to give the cable company another chance, that's all I'm saying...

Aren't the DirectTV HD channels "HD-Lite" (1920x1080 downsized to 1280x1024)? At least with HD cable you can get a full 1080i signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Aren't the DirectTV HD channels "HD-Lite" (1920x1080 downsized to 1280x1024)? At least with HD cable you can get a full 1080i signal.
    In my area, cable digital is generally better than DirecTV and the HiDef is hugely better. But OTA HiDef is still another notch up. The Tivo series 3, with a combination of cable and OTA, is a better choice than DirecTV in terms of quality. I haven't yet had the opportunity to check out FIOS on the Tivo s3, but I suspect that might be the future best bet (for picture quality).

DirecTV has one more shot to stay in the picture, a drastic change of direction with the new ownership. Failing that, the sports advantage is all they have and that will erode. You can see the dark at the end of the tunnel.

what?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dylan View Post
    In my area, cable digital is generally better than DirecTV and the HiDef is hugely better. But OTA HiDef is still another notch up. The Tivo series 3, with a combination of cable and OTA, is a better choice than DirecTV in terms of quality. I haven't yet had the opportunity to check out FIOS on the Tivo s3, but I suspect that might be the future best bet (for picture quality).

DirecTV has one more shot to stay in the picture, a drastic change of direction with the new ownership. Failing that, the sports advantage is all they have and that will erode. You can see the dark at the end of the tunnel.
    What Dtv reciever are you using, HR10 or HR20 ?
    Mpeg2 vs Mpeg4.
    If you are using the HR10 to compare Dtv to cable then mybe!!

But the HR20 in Mpeg4 so far is the better choice.
    Dtv has the mpeg4 set at 1080 because that is the Hi-standard.

Well we can go on for ever with this topic, Its like comparing
    Xbox-360 at 720 with the Sony PS3 at 1080....

Quote Originally Posted by devildog View Post
    Have you decided yet???

Yes.

PlainBill
    I'd love to hear what your conclusion was...

Quote Originally Posted by chrised View Post
    I'd love to hear what your conclusion was...
    I wondered if anybody would EVER ask. Being forced to wait a week takes the fun out of being a smartass.

After some additional reading, I decided to go with the HR20-700. If you're interested, here's my thought processes.

The HR10-250 is available on eBay for about $250 - 300 plus shipping. These systems are used, and in particular, the hard drives are well on their way to failing. I believe that the majority of people are honest, but when I see someone with a feedback rating of 3 selling an HR10-250 that 'was used for only two months', the confidence just isn't there. In addition, I would have to put up a phase three dish (got one free on Craigslist), and possibly spring for a new access card ($20). I would also be unable to get local HD broadcasts without an OTA antenna.

The HR20-700 lists for $299 + $20 shipping at DirecTV. As an A list customer, I can get it for $199. I can also get 4 months of HD programming free. Yes, other have reported better deals; apparently I lack the persuasive ability, or have an existing commitment, (or nobody likes a smartass). This gives an out of pocket cost of $180. In addition, the install tech will put up a new 5 lnb dish ($80) and replace my 'stacked' 4x8 multiswitches with a 6x16 multiswitch ($180).

The downside is I will be unable to extract recordings from the HR20, (not a big deal), lose MRV (a slightly bigger problem) and, most importantly, lose the TiVo UI.

The upside is I will save money, be able to receive HD locals and the new national HD channels as they become available, get a faster UI, AND enjoy the drama of testing software updates.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I wondered if anybody would EVER ask. Being forced to wait a week takes the fun out of being a smartass.

After some additional reading, I decided to go with the HR20-700. If you're interested, here's my thought processes.

The HR20-700 lists for $299 + $20 shipping at DirecTV. As an A list customer, I can get it for $199. I can also get 4 months of HD programming free. Yes, other have reported better deals; apparently I lack the persuasive ability, or have an existing commitment, (or nobody likes a smartass). This gives an out of pocket cost of $180. In addition, the install tech will put up a new 5 lnb dish ($80) and replace my 'stacked' 4x8 multiswitches with a 6x16 multiswitch ($180)PlainBill
    Well I know I wondered, but held of on asking. I had a gut feeling you would weight the pros and cons and choose the HR20.

Well, Id love to hear that you at least tried to get it for less than $180.

Being that your an A-list Customer, you don't even have to try too hard.

Just speak politely to them (hold off on any smartass comments, you can come back here for that, jk.)and when they see ur A-List, you will get it for at least $99.

When placing the order make sure you go thru retention. They hand out "Retention Credit" like it's candy, to good customers.

What do u have to loose? Hell, read them that letter I received and posted, say it's from a friend who got it and you just want to see what can be done for you.

Believe me, when you mention that so many peeps got it for $19.95 they are going to 1st counter with $99 deal.

Right now it's ultra easy to get it for $99 if your A-List.

It will take a little effort on your part to get lower than that and/or more than one CSR. Because, those retention CSR reps are all like little Santas and if they are in the giving mood and they like you plus can justify it, the they will make your day. On the other hand catch one at the wrong time of day and you've got Scrooge. Thus: CRS Roulette.

But, I have another hunch that for $99 you'd be alright with and no need for rhetorical convo and prob be done in just one call.

Good luck, and hope many other movers and shakers in this forum join in the HR20 rollercoaster ride.
    Last edited by bozo8787; 01-21-2007 at 08:02 AM.

Sounds like we've got a few rifts, or islands if you will, forming on DDB.

• The DTV viewers, moving on to the very usable R20 machine despite being non-Tivo.
    • Perhaps a dwindling few HR10-250 users clutching their DirecTivo by their side as they claim that they'll never give up their Tivo interface.
    • The standalone folks, themselves trying to figure out whether to keep their older units working or move on to something like an S3 box.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    Sounds like we've got a few rifts, or islands if you will, forming on DDB.

• The DTV viewers, moving on to the very usable R20 machine despite being non-Tivo.
    • Perhaps a dwindling few HR10-250 users clutching their DirecTivo by their side as they claim that they'll never give up their Tivo interface.
    • The standalone folks, themselves trying to figure out whether to keep their older units working or move on to something like an S3 box.
    I can take or leave the Tivo interface; I frankly never much cared for it in the first place (I was a Replay user long before I got an HR10, and a Replay 5xxx is far superior to any Tivo in interface terms). That's not a big deal one way or the other. It's hackability for extraction that I'm not going to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by alfonzotan View Post
    I can take or leave the Tivo interface; I frankly never much cared for it in the first place (I was a Replay user long before I got an HR10, and a Replay 5xxx is far superior to any Tivo in interface terms). That's not a big deal one way or the other. It's hackability for extraction that I'm not going to give up.
    Nicely put! I hear u, but for those with D* and HD, we really only have two choices. Take the HR20 or don't.

Note, I don't mention the HR10 cause one cannot get D* to send a new one, no matter how hard u try. Even, if you are currently leasing one and it breaks down, you will be sent a new HR20.

This is similar to the days of the UTV, when M$ pulled the plug. Great units but the tuners would eventually give way and slowly but surely D* stopped supporting them.