Thread: S3 Hacks without breaking COT

S3 Hacks without breaking COT

Since nobody wants to rip the prom out of their new S3.. (Myself included)

I have a (very) basic understanding of the chain of trust and why we can't hack the series3. I'm just wonder, Is there ANYTHING that can be manipulated in the root file system? (Obviously by removing the drive and mounting the root file system on a PC.)

For example, can we replace the backdoor hash to allow us to experiment with backdoor codes? Are there any other changes that would be undetectable by the chain of trust?

Anyone???????????

I would think that if this were possible, it would have been discovered earlier for the "nightlight" S2 box.
    Steve

Did you see this thread? It now looks like if you are willing to re-prom, you're good to go.

Although socketing and re-programming the PROM is the more direct (perhaps even 'brute force') method, I suspect there are a some very knowledgable Tivo gurus whom have figured out possible software exploits for the Series2.5 units. Maybe they'd work for the S3 as well. Maybe or maybe not, but I personally believe they're out there someplace.

There also seem to be resistance to working on mods while the S3 Multi-Room Viewing (i.e. show transfer) and Tivo-To-Go availability issue is still up in the air. As a new S3 owner myself, I find myself hesitant to "muck up" the machine. Truthfully, if Tivo ever releases S3 versions of MRV and TivoToGoBack (video uploads to the machine) I won't find it necessary to monkey inside the box, anymore -- esp. if wes can get tivoserver working with unhacked boxes.

In the last few years, probably due to a lot of the greedy and shady eBay dealers, the really talented folks seem to have gotten extremely tight-lipped about new expoits. And many more seem to have moved on from the Tivo hacking hobby altogether. I am beginning to see a sea-change when I see veteran forum members like PlainBill contemplating moving on with something like the DTV R20 (which is not actually a Tivo).

I wish I had spent more time in TiVo hacking before I got married and gave up my free time. The most I have done is one small tivosh script to clean up expiration times to keep from cluttering the error log (and I only had to run it once, but I posted it a long time ago).

I am hoping we will get all the features on a S3 that are currently available on the S2, and then I would only hack to allow MRV between my S3 and my DirecTivos.

On the other hand, it will be a while before I crack open my S3, even for an HD upgrade. My first unit failed on day 60, and I am not very confident about the reliability of these yet.
    Philips HDR31201 - May 2000, 3.0, 120GB, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus 1.0
    RCA DVR40 - Aug 2004, 200GB, 4.01b mfs_ftp, tivowebplus 1.1
    RCA DVR80 - December 2004, 80GB, 4.01b, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus 1.1