Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Series 3 PROM Hack

This is GREAT news Narf, this is definitely a step in the right direction. I was getting a little concerned lately due to the lack of interest in the S3 dev forums. Oh, and by the way, you hit front page of Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/30/series3-prom-hack/.

Last edited by Supafly; 01-30-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Wow, over 4000 page views to this thread now!

I see a bit of misinformation in some of the blog reports... we don't re-solder a chip onto the motherboard. Much better to install a PLCC32 socket so you can pop new PROM chips in and out whenever you wish.

PLCC32:
    Attached Images Attached Images

31 Free Prom Removal Programming U pay Shipping is all

To keep interest in this for the series 3 I will FREE of charge remove and program. U just pay the shipping about 20-25.00 UPS ground. I offer this to keep the hacking alive on the Tivo 3 as I dont have time to hack it myself and If I offer this I will maybe be giving back to the community in some small way.. Please contact me 1st before shipping. if u want it socketed then u need to send me the socket. or pay for one I have them here, otherwise i will desolder program and resolder.

This is not a commercial offer for any fee whatsoever.. I do this only to help the community. U may remove this post if u think otherwise.

Keep Hacking Alive
    Todd.

Ship to
    www.digitalrecorder.com
    FREE PROM OFFER
    32877 112th st
    Eureka, SD. 57437

605 284-2900
    Last edited by cordless; 02-13-2007 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Fixed the URL was a typo

Quote Originally Posted by cordless View Post
    To keep interest in this for the series 3 I will FREE of charge remove and program. U just pay the shipping about 20-25.00 UPS ground. I offer this to keep the hacking alive on the Tivo 3 as I dont have time to hack it myself and If I offer this I will maybe be giving back to the community in some small way.. Please contact me 1st before shipping. if u want it socketed then u need to send me the socket. or pay for one I have them here, otherwise i will desolder program and resolder.

This is not a commercial offer for any fee whatsoever.. I do this only to help the community. U may remove this post if u think otherwise.

Keep Hacking Alive
    Todd.

Ship to
    www.digtalrecorder.com
    FREE PROM OFFER
    32877 112th st
    Eureka, SD. 57437

605 284-2900
    As always, caveat emptor. It's worth doing some background research on any company you are thinking of sending your $800 box to for surgery.

In this case, there is some history of selling hacked tivos on ebay, some even with service theft hacks: link1, link2, link3.
    Last edited by Jamie; 02-08-2007 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cordless View Post

Keep Hacking Alive
    Todd.

Ship to
    www.digtalrecorder.com
    FREE PROM OFFER
    32877 112th st
    Eureka, SD. 57437

605 284-2900

I think the above link contains a typo. Also, what is the turn-around time for such a generous offer?

Turnaround Time for Prom Mod FREE Service to Members

Takes only few minutes to do the work.We repair tivos Replaytv and xbox all day here. I can guarantee as long as we dont get more than 10 units a week we can get them out in 2 days here.. Then whatever it takes for shipping. u can use you Fed Ex or UPS accounts as well. Remember NO CHARGE for the work. Only shipping back to you. Our shipping prices are posted at the website and Please use the shipping and repair form for faster service.
    http://www.digitalrecorder.com
    Thanks

Todd
    Last edited by cordless; 02-13-2007 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Added corrected URL

Fixed the URL above Sorry
    Last edited by cordless; 02-13-2007 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Fixed the URL in the post Deleted this one

People who sell hacked Tivos on eBay aren't very popular around here, mostly because they profit off the work of the people around here.

Just an FYI.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Socketing S3 Service

I found a commercial DVR repair facility that will do the removal and socket rework for $45 plus shipping. You can send in the entire unit, in which case they will be able to test the work before returning the unit to you. Or, you can just send in the board. Although, if you do that they won't be able to test the rework.

Two things to keep in mind:
    1) You will have to supply the socket when you send in the unit.
    2) They do not have the ability to re-program the chip. You'll have to get that done somewhere else. (I may consider offering the pre-programmed chips and sockets for cost plus shipping).

I am checking with the repair facility and asking permission to post their info here. Anybody interested in this service or in my supplying them with the chip and socket? Total cost of chip & socket plus shipping would probably be $10-15, depending on overall interest (volume). I also need to ask permission to distribute the patched PROM code from the folks that put their time and intellectual effort into modifying the PROM code.

works for me so far...

Quote Originally Posted by avpman View Post
    1) Do we have independent confirmation that Narf's hack has worked?
    My S3 still boots after applying the PROM changes.

last night I socketed the prom - took about 45 min start to finish.

tonight I modified the software and made a new prom - tivo still boots.

After applying the needed software modifications, telnet and ftp work fine.

mfs_ftp runs but has no value. Trying to insert anything by mfs_ftp hoses the MFS.
    Last edited by buechel; 02-18-2007 at 09:47 PM.

any new developments on this front ?

The end goal, if I understand correctly, is to get s3 HD content off of the s3 tivo in unprotected form ... so I can use the video elsewhere, emancipated from my s3 tivo ... are we still pretty far away from this ?

Ya

Burst of activity then......

quiet spread the land

Quote Originally Posted by Heinrich View Post
    Ya

Burst of activity then......

quiet spread the land
    CableLabs is watching. Low profile advisable for awhile.

**** cable labs.

**** them dead.

The s3 tivo will get its shows ripped off without protection - it's just a matter of time. And as long as I keep paying my cable bill each month, it's none of their business what I do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    People who sell hacked Tivos on eBay aren't very popular around here, mostly because they profit off the work of the people around here.

Just an FYI.
    Not only that, but the guy is actually redistributing/using stuff that is expressly forbidden; sort of ticks off those of us who've actually paid for the rights and gotten permission to use certain things that he just uses without any remorse:
    http://www.dvdcenter.org/downloads