Thread: WeetHet Drive Configuration confusion

WeetHet Drive Configuration confusion

I'm trying to use the WeetHet 6.2 instructions, but I'm stuck at the drive configuration page. I've got two IDE slots in the standard configuration of my computer with the hard drive on the primary IDE and the CD Rom on the other slot. In the instructions on WeetHet it says:

Connect (if not already there) the first FLAT CABLE to the SECONDARY IDE (IDE-1). Connect the other end of the flat cable to the new TiVo harddrive.

Connect the second FLAT-CABLE to the PRIMARY IDE (IDE-0), and the other end of that cable to your CDRom drive.

If I'm reading this correctly (and it's quite possible that I'm not), I should be essentially pulling the IDE cable and power from the computer's hard drive and then using those for the new Tivo drive. And, I should keep the existing CD Rom configuration in place. I also need to ensure that the Tivo hard drive is set to Master and the CD Rom set to SLAVE on their respective IDE slots.

However, when I turn on the computer, I get two beeps and a message that says the Primary Drive 0 is not found. Looking at my configuration (attached), can someone lead me in the right direction? I know enough to be dangerous, but I'm having a terrible time with the translation between WeeHet's instructions and what's actually on my motherboard.

At this point, my computer is open as I try to figure it out. Whatever help you can provide would be greatly, greatly appreciated as I'm pretty much stuck right here.

Dell machines are usually set to boot from a specific device. In your case, sounds like Primary IDE, Master Drive (IDE-0, drive 0). I believe for Dell machines, while booting press something like F2 or F12 to go into the bootup options screen and you should be able to tell it to boot from CD-ROM instead. Furthermore, you could go into your BIOS settings and change to boot-order to find CD-ROMs before hard drive.

Anyway, the "unplug the Windows drive" type instructions are usually just a safeguard to prevent Windows XP from accidentally booting up and re-writing the drive signature when it finds the "foreign" Tivo drive attached.

Instead of taking the computer all apart, quite a few of us are now using those external USB type hard drive cases to read and write Tivo hard drives without pulling the computer all apart. (These usually show up in linux under /dev/sda or similar.)

It does't matter what drive is connected where *. Just make sure the wiring and HD jumpers and BIOS settings (for both HD location and boot sequence) are consistent for how you have your drives hooked up, and adapt the instuctions you are following to reflect that configuration. IOW if your instructions assume your CD drive is the primary master, for example) it will be referenced as hda. If you want to leave it where it is (where I think it is after a quick look) as the secondary master just reference it as hdc instead.

The point is, don't use any set of instructions blindly. Figure out what the instructions are trying to accomplish and then it's easy to adapt them to your situation.

Personally, I don't like to change cabling so I run my system normally with my boot hard drive as primary master, my cd (dvd) drive as primary slave; then I run a long cable outside the box for secondary master & slave, along with a Y extension for DC. So my cd (dvd) drive is always hdb and the secondary master & slave are turned off in BIOS. Then I can hook up whatever I want, whenever I want, to the secondary master or to both the secondary master & slave cables, hdc and hdd respectively, just adjusting the BIOS and boot settings temporarily while I do Tivo work.

* Edited to add (as was subsequently pointed out by Narf54321): unless youre using some kind of automated script that assumes a particular configuration, which seems like a bad idea to me but there you are
    Last edited by Roger Dylan; 01-11-2007 at 04:26 PM.

This is helpful. I was concerned about sticking to the directions because I wasn't sure if I needed to mirror the drive configuration in my PC that would be in the Tivo. I thought the PTVNet and InstantCake would be setting something with that configuration to trick the Tivo into thinking that it was the proper set up. If I'm understanding your replies correctly, I can just hook up the new Tivo drive like it was my old hard drive and work from there.

I was good on the boot sequence with IDE CD-Rom first, but I wasn't even getting to that stage because I was getting the hard drive errors. This might take care of it.

Will the PTV and InstantCake programs recognize a drive on USB and can I write to that without a problem?

Again, thank you very much for the replies.

I'm not sure about the PTVnet CD, because I haven't used it.

InstantCake assumes you have the 'new' Tivo drive on /dev/hdc (which is secondary IDE Master), because the scripts are hard-coded for that location. (Also, I'm not sure that the linux version on the CD has the necessary hotplug modules which would recognise a USB device.) If you use InstantCake you're going to have to pull the computer apart anyway, because of the drive-location assumptions it makes. All InstantCake really does is automate Hindsdale's mfsrestore process with bash shell scripts.

What I ended up doing was pulling the mfsbackup image off the InstantCake CD (named something like 000001), and storing it on a big USB thumbdrive as tivo.bak, and put the new Tivo drive in an external USB case. Then I used one of the other boot CDs on the computer to do mfsrestore manually.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 01-11-2007 at 11:39 AM.