Thread: How to enable telent/serial bash?

How to enable telent/serial bash?

I have a SA tivo s2, the prom has been upgraded to a hacked 2.5 that I downloaded.

Before I can get the twp, and other hacks installed, I've read I must first modify or create an author init file. Does anyone have a sample file and at directory does it go in? Also, does the standard tivo software support ftp or is there a special way I need to get the file there?

Thanks!

These questions, and more, are answered by Captain_Video in his TiVo Hacking 101.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by enliteneer View Post
    I have a SA tivo s2, the prom has been upgraded to a hacked 2.5 that I downloaded.

Before I can get the twp, and other hacks installed, I've read I must first modify or create an author init file. Does anyone have a sample file and at directory does it go in? Also, does the standard tivo software support ftp or is there a special way I need to get the file there?
    Fixing the PROM is the first step. You also need to fix the boot kernel filecheck (replace the kernel's built-in initrd ) so it doesn't overwrite your hack files nor anything else you might change.

Tivo includes a small telnet server (tnlited) which is needed to connect via network. FTP you'll need to install yourself -- I recommend AlphaWolf's All-in-One utilities which includes tivoftpd. Most likely you'll need to pull the Tivo's hard drive and use it in a computer with a tivo-enabled linux boot CD to copy the necesary files and utilities over to the tivo's drive the first time. Once it's succesfully "hacked" you should be able to do everything else via telnet to the tivo.

This should give you starting points. As PlainBill says, check out Captain Video's tivo hacking 101 ducumentation.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 01-11-2007 at 01:29 PM.