Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: TivoWebPlus v2.0 Development and Testing

Quote Originally Posted by BTUxNine View Post
    Personally, I just use the old reorder function the few times I need to do such things, so yeah, it's pretty low on my list.
    Seems to me this version of TWP is still only a Beta rather than having released a full release stage. Normally speaking a new upgraded version of an established piece of software would not remove substantial aspects of formely available functionality but this seems to be what has happened with TWP 2.0??

At the moment I can count on TW 1.9.4 to get the job done in controlling my Tivo the way I want to. I can't count on TWP 1.3.1 or TWP 2.0 to do that at the present time.

{more} was replaced with a more generic folder feature... I'm hoping someone will put in a UI for it at some time, but until then, check out the entries in config/dyncfg.cfg

to implement the changes in TWP 2.0, I had to break compatibility with earlier versions... there are a number of modules that haven't been updated to work with TWP2... the ones you listed are some of them.

Until and unless someone updates them, those modules won't be available on TWP2.
    Former Tivo Hacker (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Capvermell View Post
    Seems to me this version of TWP is still only a Beta rather than having released a full release stage. Normally speaking a new upgraded version of an established piece of software would not remove substantial aspects of formely available functionality but this seems to be what has happened with TWP 2.0??

At the moment I can count on TW 1.9.4 to get the job done in controlling my Tivo the way I want to. I can't count on TWP 1.3.1 or TWP 2.0 to do that at the present time.
    Then by all means, stick with TW 1.9.4... if it gets the job done the way you want it to, I'm not sure why you're updating.
    (and, no, I don't consider TWP2 beta, because these are external modules, not core to TWP)

Cap, I suggest you salute the authors of TWP 2.0 (in particular BTUxNine) rather than criticize his choice of version designation and development decisions. There has been more progress made in TivoWeb development in the past six months than since the release of 1.9.4 and it has greatly enhanced the performance and value of TivoWeb.

Yes, it's been a pain for some users and secondary TWP developers (such as myself). The fact is that many UK developers have abandoned TiVo for other video alternatives, but I believe it's been well worth the effort for knowledgable users.

What many Brits do is switch between 1.9.4 and 2.0 to get the functionality they desire. hackman (see sig) does this and for a discussion of how and why look at this post and those immediately preceeding and following.

I really believe a little respect and an apology are in order. That could be the subject of your third post on this forum.
    Last edited by PortlandPaw; 03-26-2007 at 06:20 AM.
    David R. Hill............... TivoWeb Hack Manager
    Chebeague Island........From the land of champions:
    Casco Bay..................The Boston Red Sox
    Maine........................The New England Patriots
    58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
    240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
    120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"There are 10 kinds of people -- those who count in binary and those who don't."

PNG Image files

I've noticed that when putting up one of the screens that display the image buttons, expired,suid,suggestion, etc. that the last one never seems to be confirmed as complete even though it is. This is evident to me on the NPL screen where my IE browser never concludes that it has completed downloading the "suggesstion" png file even though it displays properly for suggestions.

this is an IE issue with the workaround for PNG transparency, IIRC... it's been mentioned a few times, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
    I've noticed that when putting up one of the screens that display the image buttons, expired,suid,suggestion, etc. that the last one never seems to be confirmed as complete even though it is. This is evident to me on the NPL screen where my IE browser never concludes that it has completed downloading the "suggesstion" png file even though it displays properly for suggestions.
    I have that problem on my computer that has IE5 or IE6, my other computer with IE7 does not have that problem. It only occurs the first time, if you reload or go into another module and then come back it will complete.
    (2) UltimateTV - upgraded w/160GB
    (1) HR10-250 2TB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 620GB 6.4a
    (1) HR10-250 300GB 6.4a
    (3) HR21 (2) with AM21 & internal 2TB Seagate
    RandC

Read Write Problem

I recently updated the TiVo software on all four of my TiVos -- two HR10-250s and 2 DSR7Ks -- to address the DST issues. As part of this, I upgraded to TWP 2.0, mostly for the sake of my HR10-250s (so I would not accidentally create a Season Pass and screw everything up). I am having ONE problem with TWP 2.0, as follows:

It does not switch to Read-Write mode to make season passes, set up recordings, etc. So my TiVos are sitting in Read-Only mode most of the time and therefore I cannot set anything up in TWP unless I Telnet to the TiVo and switch to Read-Write mode. Since I cannot Telnet in from my office, this is not convenient.

Is something screwed up in my installation or is there something I am supposed to be doing in order to have it switch to Read-Write mode as needed. Prior versions of TWP have not exhibited this problem, so I am not sure how to go about fixing it. And this happens on all four TiVos, not just the HR10-250s.

If additional info is needed, please let me know what exactly and I will post it.

TWP2 requires write access to its config and backups dir.

the last couple releases had code to default those dirs to /var/TWP if it was started up on a readonly filesystem, so if you're running an older bundle, you should update

Quote Originally Posted by BTUxNine View Post
    TWP2 requires write access to its config and backups dir.

the last couple releases had code to default those dirs to /var/TWP if it was started up on a readonly filesystem, so if you're running an older bundle, you should update
    A little confused. I'm running TWP 2.0. Are you saying my folders might not have correct priveleges?

Quote Originally Posted by jkrell View Post
    A little confused. I'm running TWP 2.0. Are you saying my folders might not have correct priveleges?
    Update to the latest bundle of TWPv2.0 (distribution 070325) which can be found at http://thomson.tivo.googlepages.com/TivoWebPlus. It may indeed solve your problem as it includes both the code to use /var/TWP as well as a fix for the GUI Reorder Season Passes module that has been mentioned before.

FYI: Some TWP statistics

There are 1,000+ users in Australia/New Zealand/South Africa running Series 1 hardware and a mixture of v2.5.5 and v3.0 TiVo software.

There are 900+ users across the United States running a large variety of hardware and v2.5-v8.1 TiVo software.

There are currently 150+ users in the United Kingdom running Series 1 hardware and v2.5.5 TiVo software.

That makes a confirmed user base of over 2,000... so it's still worth developing such software. The software has had to move with the times as the older versions were just not suited to run on the new hardware with the very large lineups now available. The Series 1 users (both v2.5.5 and v3.0) will not be left behind as those are the systems that I run, and the later series units will not be forgotten as they are what BTUx9 is running.

The software is all written in TCL which is reasonably easy to understand and learn. The v2.0.0 code is all under a CVS versioning system on the "open-source" SourceForge site (go here to browse it, and see the changelog messages). Anyone is more than welcome to contribute to the software, particularly if you have a niggling issue that the other developers are not in a position to duplicate.

PS: 30,000 people have hit the web page for the v1.3.1/v2.0.0 TWP versions, a world map of their locations can be viewed here.
    Last edited by John1980; 03-27-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Throg Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John1980 View Post
    as well as a fix for the GUI Reorder Season Passes module that has been mentioned before.
    And it works on my SA S2. Outstanding work!
    TWP 2.0 kicks a$$! You guys have brought it a long way since tivoweb 1.9.4.
    I tip my hat to all involved in it's development. But specifically John1980 and BTUX9.

To add to john1980's post, he's running S1SA boxes, I'm running S2 dtivos, so the debugging of issues that are unique to S2SA, HDTivos, S1 dtivos, and SA DT models can be quite difficult.

The fact that he was able to provide code to allow creation of season passes on newer s/w is a testament to his ingenuity (and wouldn't have been possible without assistance from people running those versions)

Need help on a new module

I've been working on an external TWP 2.0 module to provide an RSS feed of elseed.log (it's kind of handy if your phone isn't CID compatible.) I was having trouble with the times on the calls logging correctly, and thought at first that the problem was being caused by daylight savings changes. It now seems apparent that elseed gets its call-time from the phone company's CID info, rather than Tivo system time. If it's going to be that dependent on the phone carrier I'd like to check the module with a different company's feed (I'm on Sunrocket.) If anyone is interested in seeing this finished and has a different carrier (and wouldn't mind sending me their elseed.log) please pm me and I'll get to work.

The 2.0 rewrite is unbelievable. Also FWIW the displaytext module works fine .