Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tivo series 2 usb ports quit working

35 Tivo series 2 usb ports quit working

I am the unfortunate receiver of a lightining strike close to my house. My Tivo showed that the internal temperature caused the Tivo the shutdown. When I powered it up, everything worked with the exception of the networking capabilities. I eventually found my network router had been fried along with my Linksys USB100M. I replaced the router and bought a new Linksys USB200M. New router works fine, but the Tivo will not recognize the USB adapter. The top USB port will not even light any lights and the bottom port will light the power light. I could not see any physical damage to the motherboard or the circuit wiring. The Tivo works just fine (records, can make phone calls, etc.) with the exception of networking. I am a newbee to all the software lingo, please help me diagnose my problems.

Probably the first important question is which exact model Tivo do you own?

And secondly, is it a hacked unit?

The Tivo model is TCD540140 and the unit is not hacked. I am willing to try anything to fix it. I purchased a TCD540040 of Ebay and my thought was if all else fails, I will take the HD from the 140 hour and put in the 40 hour.

Quote Originally Posted by tapierce View Post
    The Tivo model is TCD540140 and the unit is not hacked. I am willing to try anything to fix it. I purchased a TCD540040 of Ebay and my thought was if all else fails, I will take the HD from the 140 hour and put in the 40 hour.
    You can probably get tivo to replace it without affecting your subscription status, for a fee. I'm not sure you can transfer your subscription commitment (if you have one) to a different unit unless it was a tivo supplied replacement.

What software version is it running? Are you sure your new adapter is supported by that software version? usb200m's come in more than one flavor, and not all flavors are supported by all software versions.

A kernel log might help diagnose the problem.
    Last edited by Jamie; 01-13-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Software version is 8.1 and the Linksys USB200M is ver. 2.1

Software version is 8.1 and the Linksys USB200M is ver. 2.1
    I haven't see a ver.2.1 usb200m, and it isn't listed on the supported adapter pages here.

the Linksys USB200M ver. 2 shows to be Tivo certified and tested in the listed pages.

the Linksys USB200M ver. 2 shows to be Tivo certified and tested in the listed pages.
    But you said yours was ver. 2.1. Do you have any reason to believe that v2.1 and v2 are both compatible with the tivo? I've never seen a v2.1, so I don't know what distinguishes it from a v2.

Anyone know where I can get a wiring schematic for TCD540140? Anyone know if you can replace the USB ports?

USB seems to be a lot flakier and sensitive to static and voltage variance than the old tried and tested RS232. I've lost several devices due to fritzed USB controller chips, including my precious MS Internet Pro keyboard, and an expensive Seagate mini portable hard drive (which was luckily replaced under warranty).

However... You said the LED lights-up the USB dongle in the second port. There's a chance the USB controller isn't blown it simply hates your new USB200M v2.1. I still think we need to verify a known good working dongle with the Tivo.

Your backup plan is somewhat sound (pulling the larger drive and putting it in the other TCD540 box). You'll need to do a C,D&E and still call Tivo Inc to move service over to the other box (the serial number is read from the motherboard, not the hard drive). Or, I suppose you could always try to remove the USB controller from the 40GB unit and solder it into the 140GB, but again it seems more likely to blow out the controller.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 01-16-2007 at 04:30 AM.

Narf54321,
    You said I will need to do a C,D&E if I remove the old 140 hour drive and put into the 40 hour box, (sorry for asking) what is C,D&E? I will test a different USB Etherner adapter and let you know. Thank you for answering some important questions and the information about the serial number residing on the motherboard and not the hard drive.

I have located a Linksys USB200M ver. 2.0 and will try that tomorrow. I will post and report the status.

FYI to all interested ----- Tivo support just confirmed with their Engineers that Tivo software release 8.1 does not support Linksys USB200M ver. 2.1 but they do support USB200M ver. 2.0

I will still post the results of the USB200M ver. 2.0 tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the information and support!

TIVO Rules

FYI to all interested ----- Tivo support just confirmed with their Engineers that Tivo software release 8.1 does not support Linksys USB200M ver. 2.1 but they do support USB200M ver. 2.0 ...
    Do you have a windows driver CD for the ver 2.1? The .inf file may provide some information that would help in adding support to the backport usb drivers. PM me if you can help out by providing this file.

Narf54321,
    You said I will need to do a C,D&E if I remove the old 140 hour drive and put into the 40 hour box, (sorry for asking) what is C,D&E?
    Sorry, that should be C&D,E == Clear and Delete Everything, one of the restart menu options on your Tivo. It "resets" MFS partitions on your hard drive and the encryption/decryption keys from the motherboard. Either that, or use 51killer if its a hacked unit. Its necessary when you move a hard drive from one Tivo to another.

Anyway, it sounds like the USB dongle is the issue which you've already solved.