Thread: SA 2.5 Post Prom Help!

SA 2.5 Post Prom Help!

Got a new prom installed and feel the hardest part has been done, but not sure how to proceed.

From what Ive read, I first need to get utilities (ftp, telnet, busybox, etc) onto the drive, like AlphaWolf's All-in-One utilities. I probably could transfer the utilities by pulling the drive and and inserting it on my linux pc... however, could I also do it by using a 3.5mm <-> db9 serial cable? Should I bother making this cable or will the orig tivo sw just ignore serial?

Once the utilities are uncompressed and placed on the tivo drive, I then should add an rc.sysinit.author file (where should it go?) to enable the ftp/telnet at startup everytime. I found an example here:

# Mount the root partition
    cd
    umount /mnt
    mount /dev/hd?4 /mnt
    cd /mnt/etc/rc.d
    vi rc.sysinit.author

Then add this to the file:

#!/bin/bash
    PATH=/bin:/sbin:/var/hack:/tivobin:/tvbin
    TIVO_ROOT=
    MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    IGNOREEOF=1000
    export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF
    echo Turning off firewall ... >& /dev/console
    [ -x /etc/netfilter-disable ] && /etc/netfilter-disable
    echo Enabling telnet daemon ... >& /dev/console
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login >& /dev/console &

Finally, to make it an executable:

chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author

Once the utilities are installed, and are called upon at startup, then I can add scripts that will remove encryption, install twp, etc, correct??

Feel so close, yet so far

The first thing you need to do (now that you've replaced the PROM) is compile MrBlack51's replace_initrd.c and wipe out the initrd on your Tivo's boot kernel.

Then the basic goal is to setup a working /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author file which disables iptables and sets up working telnet, and preferably console access. Then you can pretty much put the drive back in the tivo, boot it up, and use remote access to do everything else.

Hint: an easier way to disable Tivo's firewall is simply add a line to rc.sysinit.author
    Code:
    iptables -F
    AlphaWolf's all-in-one (busybox) tools are also pretty much necessary to have.