Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extracting From A GSOD Drive

Extracting From A GSOD Drive

I have a 2 drive setup in a HR10-250. It took a dive. I get GSOD at bootup. I let it sit for almost 48 hours, nothing. Assuming that the hard drives are still good, what utility can I use to extract the programs from the drives, if there is one? I would like to then upload them back to the new tivo drive. Thanks in advance.

TD

First of all, I would never assume that the drives are good. Pull each drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostic program to see if there's a problem. If either drive fails then you may want to consider running SpinRite to see if it will rejuvenate the drive and get it working again. A GSOD is generally caused by corrupt software but if the drive has bad clusters it will cause the GSOD. SpinRite will repair bad clusters in most cases and allow the drive to recover on its own.

If SpinRite doesn't work you may still be able to recover your recordings using the method outlined in the extraction forum for extracting programs from a Tivo drive installed in a PC. Otherwise, you may have to bite the bullet and consider the recordings as a lost cause and start over with a new drive and a fresh install of the OS.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks. I will try the SpinDrive first.

The drives are good. I have been reading through all the posts. The problem is that I am not really too familiar with linux. I have a linux boot CD - MFS tools. Is there something that explains the extractions for an extreme newbie like me? Thanks.

TD

this is a hacked unit that has network drivers, tivoweb, etc. Can the software be repaired another way? serial port etc... I want to extract the programs and then I will start from scratch. Thanks for all the help. I am learning!

TD

You probably need to fuss with using a Linux PC and pulling the shows off manually.

This assumes the shows are not scrambled, since you day the unit is hacked already.

(AARGH!! Brain fart) There are several key sequences that can be used to initiate a repair of the mfs database at startup. I'll be darned if I can remember what they are, maybe after I wake up...

When you added the second drive, did you expand the swap space? If not, that MIGHT explain the difficulty recovering from the gsod.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Well, I have been playing around with a linux computer. I have Red Hat 6.1 installed. I am going by alphawolf's instructions...

# cvs -d server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot login

type cvs for the password.

I get to this part and it says that pserver.samba.org is not available or something, or it doesn't accept cvs for the password.

Is there a new password or am I not doing it right? I double checked my commands. Thanks.

TD

....OR does anyone remember the key sequences that PlainBill is trying to remember??

Thanks.

I believe he was referring to the "kickstart" sequences. Check out this AltOrg post; you probably want the 57 and/or 58.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

The kickstart procedures is also documented here. I couldn't even find it in my 'cheat sheet' until ScanMan triggered the brain cells.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by td33398 View Post
    Well, I have been playing around with a linux computer. I have Red Hat 6.1 installed. I am going by alphawolf's instructions...

# cvs -d server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot login
    I don't think you can get vplay from the samba servers anymore. You'd be better off anyway (IMHO) using the mfs-utils vplay descendant: sourceforge link. I'd follow the path outlined here.

Using mfs-utils... not very good with linux remember...

Boot linux - OK
    unpack package (mfs_bin.Linux-i686) and make sure its on your path...

Do you mean extract it basically? What if I extracted the files on a pc and then moved them to my linux drive? The folders and commands are there but when I try to do tivopart or mfs_streams it says "command not found" I navigate to the folder where the command is and then type it out as it is written on the sourceforge link. Any comments would help. Thanks.

TD

Is my problem using an old version of linux? What version do you recommend I install? Thanks.

TD

You need to know some linux/unix basics. To begin with, you need add the directory with the utilities in it onto your PATH. Here's one tutorial that might help explain the PATH, if it isn't a concept you are already familiar with.