Thread: TiVo.NET

TiVo.NET -> stream video to TiVo

Just sniffed this at TCF. TiVo.NET appears to be a TivoServer clone written in .NET using ffmpeg. Doesn't appear Tivo needs to be hacked. Haven't tried it yet, so not sure it will work on patched tivos. If anyone checks it out, let us know...

Mods: Sorry, this should probably be in "Extraction, Insertion & Streaming Support" - feel free to move it.
    Last edited by ScanMan; 01-27-2007 at 08:29 PM.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    appears to be a TivoServer clone written in .NET using ffmpeg.
    Note that it uses TivoToGo to perform the transfers, where TivoServer uses MRV.

Due to this, TiVo.NET will not work with DirecTIVOs.

Tivo.NET (0.7.0a) runs on my winXP system and is seen by my hacked TCD240 unit. Had some trouble with the admin webpage, it relies on localhost to respond, but my XP system hands off localhost to lookups on my router. Had to point my browser manually to 127.0.0.1:9033. The author is also trying to maintain a 'Mono' version (.NET clone) for linux and Mac folks to use.

It works well enough. Starts up as a Windows Service and creates little .tvm droppings for each video file in your 'Video' directory. Works on several different filetypes I've tried.

The transfer is slow. A couple of movies I tried transferring I couldn't watch in real-time, they kept hitting the end of the buffer and pausing. However, this could still be very useful if it works on un-hacked units.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    Had some trouble with the admin webpage, it relies on localhost to respond, but my XP system hands off localhost to lookups on my router.
    I'm nearly certain that localhost is in the default %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.

I tried Tivo.NET too. I was really impressed, especially since reading the posts of the author this seems to be something he just whipped together in a flash and he comes out with updates about as fast as people are finding problems or requesting new features yet in my judgement it seems to be a very high quality piece of work.

If you leave the video quality on the default lower setting then it can transfer faster than real time with no problem and actually still looks good. I cranked it up though, to medium I think it was, and then it couldn't quite do real time. But, I guess that must be a limitation of the whole Tivotogoback way of doing it that he is.

The only downside for me is that it requires MS Windows. My home server is a Linux box. So, I've been checking out pyTivo also. It does the same thing as Tivo.NET and also seems to work very well. It also requires Windows but its written in Python so perhaps I can get it running on Linux, in fact someone on here already claims to have done so. I haven't attempted it yet.

As of a few days ago I'm not even running Tivoserver on my Linux box at all anymore, its pretty well pointless with 8.1 of the Tivo software. I posted about it a week or so go and reported that under 8.1 there's about a 50-50 chance of whatever your watching from Tivoserver making the Tivo reboot. Upon further investigation I think I under reported those odds, its actually more like dead certain that with 8.1 at some point my Tivo will reboot as I'm watching anything from Tivoserver.

Quote Originally Posted by ocntscha View Post
    I'm nearly certain that localhost is in the default %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
    Yeah, wierd thing is localhost is defined there for my machine. I'm thinking it has more to do with an old Vidali install I was trying out. Either that, or the VMWare 'virtual' networks which the free server version sets up. Things which monkey with your network traffic always cause headaches, sometimes months later down the line.

The only downside for me is that it requires MS Windows. My home server is a Linux box.
    If you can install Mono on your linux system, you can try his Mono-based versions.

So far I'm still using Tivo.NET on my WinXP machine. The only major issue I've had is that the service doesn't seem to want to start up for me automatically when I reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh_One View Post
    Note that it uses TivoToGo to perform the transfers, where TivoServer uses MRV.

Due to this, TiVo.NET will not work with DirecTIVOs.
    Aww Nutz!

Is this true of a patched HD DirecTivo?
    I know they don't have MRV code like the 6.2 software for the SD DTivo, but I thought they had the home media stuff...

Or is that just for pictures & MP3s?

Quote Originally Posted by dot19408 View Post
    Aww Nutz!

I know they don't have MRV code like the 6.2 software for the SD DTivo, but I thought they had the home media stuff...

If you've got an HME enabled HR10-250, you might want to try MovieLoader.
    -- gfb107

Quote Originally Posted by dot19408 View Post
    Aww Nutz!

They have the HME code, but not TivoToGo, so no, this won't work with a patched HD DirecTivo. Go look at MovieLoader.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Well, after being initially impressed with Tivo.NET on my SAS2, I've run into a couple issues.

(1) Audio-Video drift, in at least one movie.
    (2) Won't return to 'normal' Now Showing menu, only shows list of Tivo.NET shows. This is wierd because pressing the Tivo-guy button takes you to main Tivo Central menu, but selecting Now Showing never goes back to the 'local' recorded shows, as if its 'stuck' on the Tivo.NET list.

#2 has happened now on both my SA S2 units (system v7.3.1), so its rather consistent. Selecting another DVR on the network seems to finally break out of the cycle. Both my machines are using KidZone, so it may be an interface issue.

Both problems are severe enough to make me wanna go back to tivoserver. Anyone else see any wierd issues with Tivo.NET?

EDIT: Okay it may just be an issue with my particular machine. The 'stuck' menu issue seems to be known and related to the PC not responding to update requests quickly enough. Also related to Tivo.NET crashing on my machine. I've sort of solved some of the problem by setting Tivo.NET service to auto-restart when it fails.

I'll keep tabs on the audio drift issue.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 02-03-2007 at 06:45 PM.

(1) Audio-Video drift, in at least one movie.
    Should be able to enable the async setting to sync the audio back up.

(2) Won't return to 'normal' Now Showing menu, only shows list of Tivo.NET shows. This is wierd because pressing the Tivo-guy button takes you to main Tivo Central menu, but selecting Now Showing never goes back to the 'local' recorded shows, as if its 'stuck' on the Tivo.NET list.

#2 has happened now on both my SA S2 units (system v7.3.1), so its rather consistent. Selecting another DVR on the network seems to finally break out of the cycle. Both my machines are using KidZone, so it may be an interface issue.
    yeah, I've been getting this too, I'm trying to track it down, but it's an elusive little bug.

BTW, this is the author of said program, so if you've got questions/comments, I'll try and drop in on this thread from time to time.

stuff

I suspect the whole disappearing/reappearing Now Playing List may be a bug in the Tivo software (v8.1 in my case). Reason being is that when I was experimenting with pyTivo I was having the exact same issue with it. I'm curious if this same issue might not appear if you dump gobs and gobs of files into the official Tivo Desktop "My Tivo Recordings" folder. I'll try and test that. Most of my files are avi but I'll see what I can do, I've got a sneaking suspicion that fed enough files/folders to work with that even the "official" method of sending video from a PC might exhibit this quirk.

I've got it running in mono under Linux now, which all in all was a piece of cake. I had got some older version of mono via yum that did not work so I went and got the source and building and installing mono was literally nothing more than ./configure, make, make install. Then TivoNet ran but was sending its beacons out my public IP address instead of the LAN address (I use my Linux box as a DSL router) so my Tivo was never discovering it. I mentioned it on TCF and hours later pipakin rolled out a version that allows selecting the ip to bind to. So now it works completely. I've had limited opportunity to test it but from what I've seen so far it is working very very well.

I changed the audio default from ac3 to mp2 and I increased the video bitrate to Medium (2048kb/s) and its still able to tranfer significantly faster than real time. I'll try kicking it up to the next highest, Medium-High (3072kb/s), next chance I get to try it some more (other family members are using the Tivo right now).
    Last edited by ocntscha; 02-05-2007 at 10:32 PM.

You know what's funny? It's .Net, yet it runs SIGNIFICANTLY faster on linux.

Food for thought, ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by pipakin View Post
    You know what's funny? It's .Net, yet it runs SIGNIFICANTLY faster on linux.

Food for thought, ya know?
    Yep, it is significantly faster, I've now got the bitrate cranked up to the highest medium setting - 4000kbit/second and I think I'm at the edge but even with that setting I'm still able to transcode & transfer faster than real time. Before I realized it was possible to run TivoNet on Linux I was doing it on a Windows XP that is significantly faster than my Linux box yet I know I wasn't able to crank the speed up this high. It is rather hilarious considering Microsoft created .Net.

I recently upgraded to Vista, and now Tivo.net no longer works. This is a major bummer since I mostly play divx files that I download onto my tivo.

Anyone else have this issue? BTW, Im running Vista Premium, and Tivo.net .97a (.97a "fixed" wouldnt even install, so I reverted back 1 version).

I did find a workaround... I installed winxp on top of vista using vmware, and installed tivo.net on the vm. To my surprise that actually worked, tivo sees past vista and into the vm running tivo.net. Its a little more trouble to fire the vm up every time, but it'll have to do until vista is supported natively.

Yep, it is significantly faster, I've now got the bitrate cranked up to the highest medium setting - 4000kbit/second and I think I'm at the edge but even with that setting I'm still able to transcode & transfer faster than real time. Before I realized it was possible to run TivoNet on Linux I was doing it on a Windows XP that is significantly faster than my Linux box yet I know I wasn't able to crank the speed up this high. It is rather hilarious considering Microsoft created .Net.
    The transcode is being done with ffmpeg, certainly not a native windows program. .Net isn't doing the heavy lifting.
    Philips HDR31201 - May 2000, 3.0, 120GB, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus 1.0
    RCA DVR40 - Aug 2004, 200GB, 4.01b mfs_ftp, tivowebplus 1.1
    RCA DVR80 - December 2004, 80GB, 4.01b, mfs_ftp, tivowebplus 1.1