Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Series 3 caller ID: NCID

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    If the test works fine, then all of the files are in the right spot. When you say that you can't get it to work, do you mean that caller-id doesn't come up when you get a call? How are you calling the program?
    I think the modem was hung. I started getting socket errors. I'll do a cold reboot and try again. Yes call-id didn't come up when making a call. Tests were fine.

Be sure to keep in mind the previous couple of messages. As written, you have to issue ncid-fly with an absolute path:
    ncid --no-gui --program /path_to/ncid-fly &

Quote Originally Posted by rcflyer View Post
    I think the modem was hung. I started getting socket errors. I'll do a cold reboot and try again. Yes call-id didn't come up when making a call. Tests were fine.
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

NCID 0.84 Released

This NCID (Network Caller ID) release adds some fixes and some scripts

The ncidd server fix removes a blank space in front of a phone number caused by some modems not in complete compliance to the specification. The fix was applied to all Caller ID text lines received from modems.

The sip2ncid gateway has a fix to label outgoing and incoming calls correctly when a PBX does not support the SIP REGISTER packet, which is normally used to determine incoming and outgoing calls.

Specific to the TiVo distribution:
    Removed the "rmpid" option in the startncid shell script.
    A new stopncid shell script was added to terminate all NCID programs that are running.
    Fix for the ncid-tivo module that eliminates @stdout from being displayed after the screen is cleared on TiVo HD's.
    Updated comments on the ncid-fly display module (which is HME safe) in the startncid script.
    The initmodem shell script was modified to use pgrep instead of ps.
    John

It still will not display a call when a call comes in. Test runs fine and displays proper output. Both log files show call came in, so issue has to be with the client. I'm starting with ncid --no-gui --program /var/hack/share/ncid/ncid-fly & in the rc.sysinit.author file. I've tried killing the services and starting by hand, still no display on screen. All files are in proper places. I know it's something simple. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Are the server and client running on the same server? If not, you need to add the address of the ncid server to the command line:
    Code:
    ncid 192.168.1.whatever --no-gui --message --program /path_to/ncid-fly &
    What does ncid-fly.log say? Also, try running it in an open command window and making a call. Paste the output here, it really should be something simple...

It still will not display a call when a call comes in. Test runs fine and displays proper output. Both log files show call came in, so issue has to be with the client. I'm starting with ncid --no-gui --program /var/hack/share/ncid/ncid-fly & in the rc.sysinit.author file. I've tried killing the services and starting by hand, still no display on screen. All files are in proper places. I know it's something simple. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Was tired and losing my mind... All fine now.
    Last edited by Soapm; 07-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Test works fine. Now ncid will not start. I get the following message below. What next?

bash-2.02# ncid --no-gui --program /var/hack/share/ncid/ncid-fly
    127.0.0.1:3333 - error reading "sock17": connection refused

Test works fine. Now ncid will not start. I get the following message below. What next?

bash-2.02# ncid --no-gui --program /var/hack/share/ncid/ncid-fly
    127.0.0.1:3333 - error reading "sock17": connection refused
    I don't use fly but I'm getting the sock17 error also until I reboot the Tivo. There has to be a way to refresh the modem without a reboot.

NCID 0.85 Released

See NCID News and see NCID files and release notes

Specific to the TiVo distribution:

The startncid script has been improved and simplified somewhat. This is the recommend method of starting NCID because it also sets up the complete environment. It still defaults to starting tivoncid and ncidd. It gives you complete control of starting or not starting the server, client, gateway, and output modules supported for the TiVo . This includes the new client module called ncid-notify that will send a NCID notification to any iOS or Andriod device, or both. It requires "curl" which is part of the TiVo distribution.

The stopncid script was updated so it stops all running NCID programs and scripts added by this release.

The ncid-fly module is supported but you should install the attached ncid-fly-mips-tivo.tgz from /var and replace rsyslog with rsyslog-5-8-4. The tar archive places all the supporting files, libraries, and icons in the proper directories for NCID. In addition the ncid-fly module was updated for this release and includes a configuration module. The ncid-fly module was written by djl and is described in these posts:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...346#post308346
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...y2osd&p=315611
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John

NCID 0.86 Released

See NCID NEWS and see NCID Files & Release Notes.
    John

NCID 0.87 Released

See NCID NEWS and see NCID Files & Release Notes.
    John

Is anyone using ncidpop on Mountain Lion? I added it to my login items, but it does not pop up when a call comes in. Server address is correct, and popups work on my TiVos and Windows machines...

Hi David,

I might be able to help you. Are you talking about the the ncidpop software you wrote, that used to be available at http://www.davidlaporte.org/tools/osxcallerid.html? (The link is broken now so I'm not able to download it.)

Or do you mean the Mac ncidpop available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid...ncidpop/0.9.17 ? If so, it is working fine for me on Mountain Lion. Note that I have the option "Use Growl for incoming call notifications" as UNCHECKED.

If you are using the one from Sourceforge, do you see the process running if you go into Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor?

Thanks, taa. I am using the ncidpop that you referenced, and I do see it in the activity monitor, but it does not pop up when a call comes in. How should I go about troubleshooting?
    To give just due, I wrote the original ncid-fly, not the osxcallerid software

Quote Originally Posted by taa View Post
    Hi David,

I might be able to help you. Are you talking about the the ncidpop software you wrote, that used to be available at http://www.davidlaporte.org/tools/osxcallerid.html? (The link is broken now so I'm not able to download it.)

Or do you mean the Mac ncidpop available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid...ncidpop/0.9.17 ? If so, it is working fine for me on Mountain Lion. Note that I have the option "Use Growl for incoming call notifications" as UNCHECKED.

If you are using the one from Sourceforge, do you see the process running if you go into Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor?

Hi David,

You've probably already thought of the following things to check but I'm just throwing it out there in case it sparks a lightbulb moment.

1) You mentioned in your original post, "Server address is correct, and popups work on my TiVos and Windows machines..." Does this mean ncidd is running on a difference machine? If so, it might be a Mountain Lion firewall issue. You could test to see if this might be the issue by starting a simple telnet session while on your Mountain Lion Mac:

telnet [ncidserver address] 3333

Here's a snippet of what it looks like when I do it:

$ telnet 192.168.1.6 3333
    Trying 192.168.1.6...
    Connected to 192.168.1.6.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    200 Server: ncidd (NCID) 0.87
    <a whole lotta NCID call records>
    300 End of call log

2) If the above telnet test works, try this: Kill the ncidpop process on your Mountain Lion machine and kill ncidd on whatever machine it is running on. Relaunch ncidd with debugging enabled, as a foreground task:

$ sudo /usr/local/sbin/ncidd -Dv3

Wait a sufficient time for all the other clients to connect (like the Tivos and Windows machines you mention ARE working OK). Messages will look similar to this:

(snip)
    Client 11 from 127.0.0.1 connected, sent call log: /var/log/cidcall.log
    Client 12 from 192.168.1.17 connected, sent call log: /var/log/cidcall.log
    Client 13 from 192.168.11.31 connected, sent call log: /var/log/cidcall.log
    (snip)

Now, launch ncidpop and see if ncidd shows a brand new client connection message at the same time.

3) I have experienced situations where ncidpop does not detect that it is no longer connected to ncidd. Usually this happens only when I'm doing some sort of maintenance on ncidd and have to stop it temporarily. In these cases, I have to kill ncidpop and launch it again. It does not seem likely that this is the problem you're experiencing because you mention you added ncidpop as a login item, and I think you're saying that right after you login and get calls you STILL don't get ncidpop popups. I mention it just in case maybe your Mountain Lion machine is connecting via wifi to ncidd?

-----

>To give just due, I wrote the original ncid-fly, not the osxcallerid software

My apologies. I was getting my "Davids" mixed up.