Thread: Stopping the clock on a TiVo HD

Stopping the clock on a TiVo HD

I'm interested in stopping the clock on a TiVo HD so that it will remain somewhat functional (for transfers and manual recording) in the future. This TiVo will be deactivated and placed offline soon since it isn't entirely reliable anymore. Would it work to just have a boot/startup script that sets the clock to a specific date and time each time the TiVo is powered up?

Also, would disconnecting the clock battery be recommended in case the TiVo checks the time when booting before a script resets the time, or does that not matter?

Thanks!
    Last edited by needtolog; 11-25-2017 at 03:37 PM.

I thought the functionality of any unit is determined when the unit phones home and is disabled by Tivo, but I could be wrong. Is the reliability issue caused by a bad power supply or hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by emuman100 View Post
    I thought the functionality of any unit is determined when the unit phones home and is disabled by Tivo, but I could be wrong. Is the reliability issue caused by a bad power supply or hard drive?
    Based on observations with other units (which could be flawed), the TiVo must "phone home" to remain active, but for obvious reasons a period of offline activity is allowed. The TiVo device enters an inactive state after a certain period of time has passed since the last successful online contact with TiVo. Resetting the clock to a particular time on each of the rare occasions I would power up the TiVo in the future would theoretically delay the onset of the inactive state.

The reliability problem is with the mainboard. The hard drive has been exhaustively tested in a PC. Both the power supply and hard drive have been tested in other units and swapped with good parts from other units in the past. The TiVo has been somewhat unreliable (random reboots) for years and the problem has been getting worse recently.

Could it be possible that the electrolytics on the motherboard are failing?

Quote Originally Posted by emuman100 View Post
    Could it be possible that the electrolytics on the motherboard are failing?
    I'm sure that's possible, but I won't be operating on the mainboard, so in this case it doesn't matter.