Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Series 3 caller ID: NCID

Thanks for the troubleshooting, taa. It turns out that I was starting ncidpop as root (rather than just me) and although it connected fine, it would not show the popup. If you have several people that use a particular computer under different accounts, is it possible to install this for all users? Or, does everyone have to run their own instance?
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Hi David,

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    Thanks for the troubleshooting, taa. It turns out that I was starting ncidpop as root (rather than just me) and although it connected fine, it would not show the popup.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "starting ncidpop as root"? Where exactly did you have ncidpop loaded in the Mac startup scheme of things?

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    If you have several people that use a particular computer under different accounts, is it possible to install this for all users? Or, does everyone have to run their own instance?
    It is only necessary to download and install ncidpop once per machine. Each user does need their own instance running, and you do that by logging in as each user and dragging ncidpop to their Login Items. The ncidpop configuration is stored by user in their preferences folder (~/Library/Preferences/edu.stanford.akosut.NCIDpop.plist). I usually prefer to launch applications manually and make sure they work OK before adding them to Login Items, and you probably already know that the first time ncidpop is launched it will ask for the ncid host address.

Quote Originally Posted by taa View Post
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "starting ncidpop as root"? Where exactly did you have ncidpop loaded in the Mac startup scheme of things?
    I used Lingon X to install it, and the user was set to root. I assume it was starting it as a LaunchDaemon, which did not work correctly.

It is only necessary to download and install ncidpop once per machine. Each user does need their own instance running, and you do that by logging in as each user and dragging ncidpop to their Login Items. The ncidpop configuration is stored by user in their preferences folder (~/Library/Preferences/edu.stanford.akosut.NCIDpop.plist). I usually prefer to launch applications manually and make sure they work OK before adding them to Login Items, and you probably already know that the first time ncidpop is launched it will ask for the ncid host address.
    I was trying to avoid running several instances, which is just my default after having used a very outdated Windows Vista desktop for the last several years. Clearly I need to relax and enjoy the iMac
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

NCID 0.88 Released

See NCID NEWS and see NCID Files & Release Notes.
    John

Does anyone have the uni2osd script? The post is long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by emuman100 View Post
    Does anyone have the uni2osd script? The post is long gone.
    I have attached the the script.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    John

Thank you!!

Just as an update, I have both version 1.2 of the server and client running. Thank you for all of your hard work on this program!

Thanks for the update. It should be simple to upgrade to 1.5. NCID 1.6 does not distribute a TiVo package anymore, but it can still be built from source.
    John