Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Series 3 caller ID: NCID

can someone tell me where the tivo version is on sourcforce for the latest as i do have a vonage rt31pc and would like to try the sip in addition to th emodem caller id thanks

also from reading through the notes it appears i need the mips version ok got .71 mips but it also appears there is no way to run modem and sip caller id at the same time???
    Last edited by lgkahn; 10-01-2008 at 12:53 PM.

ok no sip packets visible for me i tried both port 5061 and 10000 both the tivo and the vonage box are behind my firewall with public routeable ip addresses i can ping the vonage box from the tivo no problem

any ideas

bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# sip2ncid --testudp
    Test mode
    Processed config file: /var/hack/etc/ncid/sip2ncid.conf
    Verbose level: 3
    Network Interface: eth0
    Filter: port 5061 and udp
    Test mode terminated

bash-2.02#

i think the problem may be that the rt31p2 is jsut using the internet nic port not the switch as it is not being used as a router or switch in my network only the internet port is getting a fixed ip off my internal dhcp server from my pool of 29 static ips..
    Last edited by lgkahn; 10-01-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lgkahn View Post
    ok no sip packets visible for me i tried both port 5061 and 10000 both the tivo and the vonage box are behind my firewall with public routeable ip addresses i can ping the vonage box from the tivo no problem

----- snip -----

i think the problem may be that the rt31p2 is jsut using the internet nic port not the switch as it is not being used as a router or switch in my network only the internet port is getting a fixed ip off my internal dhcp server from my pool of 29 static ips..
    I use a RT31P2 Vonage router and pick up packets on port 10000. My Linux box is connected directly to a RT31P2 port and it is in the router DMZ.

I have not been able to get SIP packets unless the computer running sip2ncid was in the RT31P2 DMZ. Port forwarding the SIP port did not work. If your TiVo is directly connected to the RT31P2 and in the DMZ, it should work, but be sure the TiVo is secure, do not allow telnet without a password.

You should use the latest version of NCID because of all the fixes in sip2ncid. You can use a modem and SIP at the same time. It is the default. You must "set noserial = 1" in ncidd.conf if you want to use SIP without using a modem.
    John

as i said b4 i cannot connect the tivos to the linksys.. the linksys just hangs off my main switch as another box on the net.. it is not being used as a router.. with public ips it should not be using nat so the dmz shouldnt be necessary.. i tried assigning the local ip same as the internip and putting one of the tivos in the dmz still no go.

maybe i could get it working but plugging another cable in the lan and into the switch but then i would have to use up 2 of my puplic ip addresses and this is not acceptable.. bummer.
    Last edited by lgkahn; 10-01-2008 at 03:40 PM.

as i said b4 i cannot connect the tivos to the linksys.. the linksys just hangs off my main switch as another box on the net.. it is not being used as a router.. with public ips it should not be using nat so the dmz shouldnt be necessary.. i tried assigning the local ip same as the internip and putting one of the tivos in the dmz still no go.

maybe i could get it working but plugging another cable in the lan and into the switch but then i would have to use up 2 of my puplic ip addresses and this is not acceptable.. bummer.
    It would help me if you provided a layout of your network, but this tutorial should help you: http://www.davidlaporte.org/tutorials/sipcallerid.html

The tutorial explains that you need a non-switching hub before your Vonage router so if you put one between your main switch and the Vonage router it should work.
    John

i already have a switch between my modem and the rt31p2 that is how my network works.. i have a custom wrt54gs wirelss disabled running dd-wrt as my man bridging iptables firewall with 2 connecdtions 1 to the dsl modem.. 1 to my main switch...

it is actually in bridge mode since this is necessary when you default g/w is on the same subnet as your ip block.. thus you cannot route you have to bridge ...

then the switch goes to all devices and another 1gig switch for faster equip. etc. also have another wireless bufallo for my laptops.. the linksys has the internet port plugged into the switch and gets one of my static ips

i also tried assigning the same ip to the local side of the rt31p2 and plug a wire in from there to the switch but then it doesnt work correctly..

probably buceaus as i said it is not running nat whatsover dhcp and nat are disabled as it is not acting as a router ..
    just read it again maybe not working because it is a switch. will try to find an old hub around and try that but think i already threw all those out.

also the tivos cannot connect directly to that device they are downstairs connected via a pair of ip over powerline with two 5 port switches so both the direct tv and series 3 can connect

see attached file for basic network layout

another option might be for me to hook up the 2nd hd tivo to the phone port coming from the vonage as i have a home run and
    have it running through the house on a 2nd line.. can you have two different instances of tivocid running on the same box. one listening locally and the other to the other hd tivo .. so each box can show calls from both phone numbers??? would be the same thing
    shown from the sip caller id..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: txt 1.txt (2.7 KB, 6 views)
    Last edited by lgkahn; 10-01-2008 at 09:31 PM.

another option might be for me to hook up the 2nd hd tivo to the phone port coming from the vonage as i have a home run and
    have it running through the house on a 2nd line.. can you have two different instances of tivocid running on the same box. one listening locally and the other to the other hd tivo .. so each box can show calls from both phone numbers??? would be the same thing
    shown from the sip caller id..
    Yes you can do that, but you need to run 2 different servers and have each tivocid point to its own server. It is not clean and its possible they could interfere with each other if 2 calls come in at the same time. I think SIP is your better option.

I believe you misunderstood me when I mentioned using a hub. Hubs do not manage any traffic that comes through them. Any packet entering a hub port is broadcast out on every other port. A hub is useful for copying traffic to multiple network sensors. For example, copying SIP packets going to your phone to your TiVo running sip2ncid. A switch manages traffic through them so traffic on one port is not seen on the other ports. For example, SIP packets going to your phone will not show up on the other switch ports. Having said that, some switches have a feature called mirroring which will duplicate traffic on selected ports.

If you can configure mirroring on your switch you need to mirror the Vonage router port with the TiVo port. If not, you need a hub between your switch and Vonage router. The TiVo running sip2ncid would also plug into the hub.
    John

got it working doesnt have to be hub.. a switch works fine..

put the internet connection or the rt31p2 to static ip 192.168.11.x and connected into the cable router which gives out these ips

set the local net connection to my public ip 64.xxx.xxx.126
    and turned on nat and put the hdlrtivo of 64.xxxx.xxx.113 in the dmz
    doesnt really matter because this is still all behind my mail firewall which is not reacheable...

then one of the ip ports from the rt31p2 into the 16 port workgroup switch where the tivos are also plugged in.. so it appears that it doesnt have to be a hub a smart linksys workgroup switch also works...

also i had to put a sleep statement into my rc.sysinit.author or rhe sip2ncid would terminated because it didnt allow enough time for ncid to start up..
    it looks like this now:

# caller id
    cd /var/hack/sbin
    /var/hack/sbin/ncidd &
    sleep 4
    /var/hack/sbin/sip2ncid
    cd /var/hack/bin
    /var/hack/bin/tivocid &
    Last edited by lgkahn; 10-06-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Just a quick question:

I installed .71 of ncid from sourceforge, but it doesn't include out2osd. Is this ok for an S3 tivo? Do I need to "install" out2osd since it has the "fonts" folder, etc? The instructions say I need to rename out2osd to something else then symlink uni2osd to out2osd.

Just making sure before I bork my tivo.

I found out2osd instructions at jlc's site [http://ncid.sourceforge.net/out2osd/INSTALL-TiVo.txt]

Checked the S2 forum and found this thread. It seems out2osd exists in /tvbin/. Is that the one I want to move to old_out2osd then symlink uni2osd to it? Looking at the instructions Narf54321 posted here for the client it doesn't say anything about messing with the out2osd app in /tvbin/. All the activity is in /var/hack/bin/

Thanks in advance.

i think that is the wrong one.. mine is as follows

hdbrtivo:/var/hack/bin$ ls -al
    total 350
    drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Oct 1 16:35 .
    drwxr-xr-x 10 0 0 1024 Dec 1 2006 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 1912 Dec 1 2006 cidalias
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 1593 Dec 1 2006 cidcall
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 2408 Dec 1 2006 cidupdate
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 89763 May 20 01:30 elseed
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 89114 May 20 01:30 fly
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 13948 May 20 01:30 jpegwriter
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 17371 Dec 1 2006 ncid
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 636 May 20 01:30 new
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 23944 May 20 01:30 newtext2osd
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 636 May 20 01:30 osd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Oct 1 16:35 out2osd -> uni2osd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 4 Oct 1 16:34 tivocid -> ncid
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 4 Oct 1 16:34 tivoncid -> ncid
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 5819 Oct 1 16:35 uni2osd
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 98063 May 20 01:30 yac
    hdbrtivo:/var/hack/bin$

try installing and older version then the newer one.

just an FYI, for those using the .71 version, you do NOT need to install out2osd in /var/hacks/bin. I just followed OP's instructions [just with the new version] and skip the step to rename out2osd to old_out2osd and you're fine.

The text looks old-school, but the script works like a charm! Thanks jlc and Snarf!

/edit/
    bash-2.02# ls -la
    drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 1024 Oct 15 01:22 .
    drwxr-xr-x 7 0 0 1024 Oct 14 02:34 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 1912 Jun 4 15:35 cidalias
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 1703 Jun 4 15:35 cidcall
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 2408 Jun 4 15:35 cidupdate
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 20363 Jun 4 15:35 ncid
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Oct 15 01:22 out2osd -> uni2osd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 4 Oct 14 02:34 tivocid -> ncid
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 4 Oct 14 02:34 tivoncid -> ncid
    -rwx--x--x 1 0 0 5819 Oct 15 01:23 uni2osd
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 5496 Jun 4 15:35 yac2ncid
    bash-2.02#

if that helps
    Last edited by phdeez; 10-16-2008 at 01:27 PM.

NCID version 0.72 has been released.

This release is for fixes and improvements to the servers, gateways, and the client. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid for news on the release and the release distributions.

A new shell script called startncid makes it easier to start the configured NCID. Just uncomment or comment the various lines that start NCID. The default is to start ncidd and tivocid for use with a modem. It will also set your local timezone for sip2ncid, yac2ncidi, and ncidd. The script can be started from /etc/rc.sysinit.d.author or manually.
    John

Hi John -
    I have a couple of issues with the latest version:
    Starting the yac module with 'ncid --no-gui --message --call-prog --program ncid-yac &' I get the error (I added -V for more detail):

Code:
    Using output Module: /var/hack/share/ncid/ncid-yac
    Not using a PID file
    Connecting to 127.0.0.1:3333
    NCID Client: ncid 0.72.1
    NCID Server:  ncidd 0.72
    BGError: invalid command name "wm"
    It then exits.

Also, I uncommented and changed the value of cidlogmax in ncidd.conf. After restarting I still get "MSG: Caller ID Logfile too big to get: (118379 > 110000) bytes" errors.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jlc View Post
    This release is for fixes and improvements to the servers, gateways, and the client. See http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid for news on the release and the release distributions.

A new shell script called startncid makes it easier to start the configured NCID. Just uncomment or comment the various lines that start NCID. The default is to start ncidd and tivocid for use with a modem. It will also set your local timezone for sip2ncid, yac2ncidi, and ncidd. The script can be started from /etc/rc.sysinit.d.author or manually.
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    Hi John -
    I have a couple of issues with the latest version:
    Starting the yac module with 'ncid --no-gui --message --call-prog --program ncid-yac &' I get the error (I added -V for more detail):

Code:
    Using output Module: /var/hack/share/ncid/ncid-yac
    Not using a PID file
    Connecting to 127.0.0.1:3333
    NCID Client: ncid 0.72.1
    NCID Server:  ncidd 0.72
    BGError: invalid command name "wm"
    It then exits.
    I cannot replicate this error on my series 2. The ncid-yac module works happily. The invalid command name "wm" is a tk command name, and should not be executed with the "--no-gui" option. Are you using the startncid script? If not try using it. Maybe there is a problem with your ncidmodules.conf file. It would probably be helpful if you send me your ncid and ncidmodules.conf files. Send them to jlc@users.sourceforge.net
    Also, I uncommented and changed the value of cidlogmax in ncidd.conf. After restarting I still get "MSG: Caller ID Logfile too big to get: (118379 > 110000) bytes" errors.

Any thoughts?
    You managed to find a very old error in ncidd. I am surprised no one complained before now. The fix is very easy so if you send me email at sourceforge, I can send you a new ncidd mips binary with the fix. If you can compile it yourself, you need to change LOGMAX to cidlogmax in ncidd.c. Change it in 3 out of 4 places, but do not change it on the line: int cidlogmax = LOGMAX;
    John