Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Series 3 caller ID: NCID

I have a TivoHD...

In one of the post you advised someone to do find / -type f -print | xargs grep lockfile

So I tried that and after thinking I broke my Tivo I got.

/ncid_settings/ncidd.conf:# lockfile, port, ttyclocal, ttyport, ttyspeed,
    /ncid_settings/ncidd.conf:# The lockfile name is generated automatically
    /ncid_settings/ncidd.conf:# If tty port is /dev/modem, lockfile is: /var/lock/LCK..modem
    /ncid_settings/ncidd.conf:# set lockfile = /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0
    /ncid_settings/ncidd.conf:set lockfile = /var/tmp/modemlock # needed for TiVo Modem Port
    grep: /TivoWebPlus/docs/Hackman: No such file or directory
    grep: LICENSES.txt: No such file or directory
    FamRoom#127.0.0.1:3333 - error reading "sock15": connection refused

I guess I can see if my modem can call Tivo for the update but it will have to be after work.

PS.. Is the Tivo HD modem S0 or S3???

Seems to be cua3:
    Code:
    tivo3:~$ ls -l /dev/modem
       0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 0        0               4 Mar  7  2011 /dev/modem -> cua3

ok, I ran the command and this is what I got. I guess this means my modem is S3. I have a couple of shows recording but I will try and do a hard reboot to see if this clears...

FamRoom#ls -l /dev/ttyS?
    crw-rw-rw- 1 0 0 4, 64 Oct 26 13:01 /dev/ttyS0
    crw-rw-rw- 1 0 0 4, 65 Oct 15 00:40 /dev/ttyS1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 4 Oct 15 00:40 /dev/ttyS3 -> cua3

Something must be up with my modem. I tried to have it call home and it rebooted the Tivo. Is the modem a device I can change? Like can I take the one out of my S2DT and stick it in this one?

Well, it rebooted and now it works... Thanks for the help...
    Last edited by Soapm; 10-26-2011 at 09:31 PM.

Looks like your modem got hung up. Glad a reboot was able to fix it.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    This is a new module for ncid to give better caller-id output when running on Series 3 units. It uses the venerable 'fly' program to generate a .png file which is then shown on screen by osdwriter. In this way, truetype fonts can be used as well as graphics.
    How do I reposition fly on the screen? I want it on the bottom of the screen instead of on the top.

There's a variable in the script called VOFFSET. That controls how many lines from the top the display goes. Setting it around 420 should get you to the bottom of the screen.
    I should caution anyone using ncid-fly right now: if a call comes in while you are using an HME app (that includes Netflix, btw) it can lock up your Tivo. I have a workaround that I'm testing but I probably won't be finished until the holidays. If you never use any HME stuff you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    How do I reposition fly on the screen? I want it on the bottom of the screen instead of on the top.
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

There's a variable in the script called VOFFSET. That controls how many lines from the top the display goes. Setting it around 420 should get you to the bottom of the screen.
    I should caution anyone using ncid-fly right now: if a call comes in while you are using an HME app (that includes Netflix, btw) it can lock up your Tivo. I have a workaround that I'm testing but I probably won't be finished until the holidays. If you never use any HME stuff you should be fine.
    Are kmttg or pytivo HME?
    Last edited by Soapm; 11-23-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fix name of application

No. pyTivo is HMO. vidmgr is HME. Galleon is both. kmttg is neither.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Now that it looks like I am over the 20 minute reboots I am loading the rest of the hacks.

For some reason when I start NCID with this command I get multiple instances of NCID and I get an error;

Author command = cd /var/hack/bin; ./startncid rmpid &

Multiple instances of NCID;

Code:
    4640 ?        Ss     0:00 ncidd
     4642 ttyp0    S      0:01 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --message --program ncid-tivo
     4643 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --message --program ncid-tivo
     4645 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --message --program ncid-tivo
     4646 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --message --program ncid-tivo
    And this is the error I get;

Code:
    FamRoom#
    [1]+  Exit 1                  ./startncid rmpid
    What's even stranger is that it works just fine when I get a call. I was just wondering about this strange behavior.

I presume by this you mean this is the command you place in rc.sysinit.author? If not, then what? It's not relevant to your problem, but I recommend instead of doing the above, do this:

Code:
    export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/var/hack/bin
    startncid rmpid &
    Be sure to put the PATH variable assignment at the top of rc.sysinit.author so any other commands you issue there from /var/hack/bin will be found, as well as being available for our telnet sessions. Include any other directories where you have executable files you want to run in rc.sysinit.author or when telnetted in.

Code:
     4642 ttyp0    S      0:01 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --message --program ncid-tivo
     4643 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --message --program ncid-tivo
     4645 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --message --program ncid-tivo
     4646 ttyp0    S      0:00 tivosh /var/hack/bin/ncid --no-gui --message --program ncid-tivo
    Do they persist? It's possible this may be normal.

Code:
    FamRoom#
    When do you get this error?

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    I presume by this you mean this is the command you place in rc.sysinit.author? If not, then what? It's not relevant to your problem, but I recommend instead of doing the above, do this:
    [QUOTE=lrhorer;314129]
    Code:
    export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/var/hack/bin
    startncid rmpid &
    Be sure to put the PATH variable assignment at the top of rc.sysinit.author so any other commands you issue there from /var/hack/bin will be found, as well as being available for our telnet sessions. Include any other directories where you have executable files you want to run in rc.sysinit.author or when telnetted in.
    I will make that change...

Code:
    FamRoom#
    When do you get this error?
    After typing the command in the Telnet CLI, I wait a bit and just hit enter then this appears. Or if I type another command this will appear first.

After typing the command in the Telnet CLI, I wait a bit and just hit enter then this appears. Or if I type another command this will appear first.
    Try it without the ampersand. First, kill all the NCID sessions, then run the command in the foreground.

Any update on this issue? Is the recommendation to just use "regular" tivoncid if I use HME?

Quote Originally Posted by cheitzig View Post
    Any update on this issue? Is the recommendation to just use "regular" tivoncid if I use HME?
    If I recall correctly, the native text2osd utility (which tivoncid uses) triggers the same behavior: if a call comes through while an HME app is running, your Tivo will lock up for at least 10 minutes, and any keypress during that time will reboot the unit immediately. However, I did start working on the problem again and I think I finally found a dependable workaround. I'll post here when it's ready for prime time...
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Multiple instances of NCID;

Code:

Code:
    FamRoom#
    What's even stranger is that it works just fine when I get a call. I was just wondering about this strange behavior.
    The startncid script should be started without the &. The cd is not necessary and $PATH does not need to be set as suggested in a previous post (startncid sets $PATH for NCID deamons to run properly), but it is best if you do set $PATH as suggested. Start it this way: /var/hack/bin/startncid rmpid

The multiple instances of ncid is normal, but be careful you do not start it multiple times.

The startncid script defaults to starting tivocid and ncidd. If you must use tivoncid, you need to uncomment the tivoncid line and you must comment out the tivocid line. If you did not comment out tivocid it will fail to start (unless you installed out2osd) and cause startncid to exit with a failure code at the end of the script. If startncid fails to start any program or if there is a typo in it, it will exit with a failure code at the end. In your case, as long as tivoncid and ncidd are started NCID will function properly.
    John