Thread: what does each of the too software do

what does each of the too software do

what does instant cake do?
    what does ptvnet do?
    the reason i ask is because a long time ago my dad bought the wrong files and now im redoing his drive for him and he only has instantcake.

I have a unusual suggestion - go ask the guys who sold those packages. They are both PTVupgrade products; PTVupgrade has their own support forum.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

im terribly sorry you dont have the knowledge to answer my thread... i just thought id see if anyone knew because i dont like their forums...

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritSlayer View Post
    what does ptvnet do?
    the reason i ask is because a long time ago my dad bought the wrong files and now im redoing his drive for him and he only has instantcake.
    Seems PlainBill's a bit grumpy today. In short, we're a bunch of amateurs willing to try and help people learn to hack their Tivo units, and we often don't take too kindly to "easy" tools which don't offer any insight for the user -- especially paid tools which other folks use for profit.

Having said all that:
    Instant Cake refers to a CD from PTVupgrade.com which you boot in a PC. It will load a complete working Tivo image on a hard drive (I believe it is hard-coded to /dev/hda, which is dumb). No hacks, just a working "official" Tivo software image. There are many different InstantCake CDs, you need the one for your specific Tivo model.

[ Instant Cake is just an mfsbackup image in a hidden file called 000001 or similar, and some automated scripts which load at boottime to do an mfsrestore.]

PTVnet is some sort of boot CD which I believe has some extra tools available for "hacking" your Tivo's hard drive. IIRC, the selling point is putting USB-ethernet support on DirecTivo units. But I've never actually seen this one.

If you're looking for a boot CD which has killhdinitrc kernels, has extra tools, and can "see" the Tivo hard drive I'd recommend looking at the PTV LBA48 boot CD "with enhancements" for $5. If you already have the kernels, download the free one instead.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 10-01-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritSlayer View Post
    what does ptvnet do?
    Instant Cake is a bootable linux cd that simply uses mfsrestore to restore a hacked tivo image onto a new drive.

The ptvnet just sets some flags on the new drive to enable the networking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Menasco View Post
    Instant Cake is a bootable linux cd that simply uses mfsrestore to restore a hacked tivo image onto a new drive.
    Not quite true. It restores an UNHACKED image.

The ptvnet just sets some flags on the new drive to enable the networking stuff.
    Not even close.

I suggest anyone who wants to learn more read Captain_Video's TiVo Hacking 101 and Cheer's roadmap

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    Not quite true. It restores an UNHACKED image.

PlainBill
    Take a look for youself.

Below is a partial listing from drive created by restoring the image from an InstantCake 6.3b cd. I've also attached the entire listing in a txt file.

The command used was "restore -i ./000001 /dev/hdb

Billy Menasco

/enhancements
    /enhancements/network.tcl
    /enhancements/ipaddress_flag
    /init/001_bash.init
    /init/002_hdstart.init
    /init/ptv_start
    /init/ptv_flags
    /init/ptv_flags/FIRSTTIME_ON
    /init/ptv_flags/IC2_OFF
    /init/ptv_images
    /init/ptv_images/PromScreen2Version7.NTSC-first-time.png
    /init/ptv_images/PromScreen2Version7.NTSC.png
    /init/ptv_images/AlmostThere.png
    /hacks
    /hacks/network.tcl
    /hacks/mfs_network
    /ptvupgrade
    /ptvupgrade/busybox
    /ptvupgrade/busybox/busybox
    /ptvupgrade/busybox/ls
    /ptvupgrade/bin
    /ptvupgrade/bin/rootread
    /ptvupgrade/bin/rootwrite
    /ptvupgrade/bin/tivoftpd
    /ptvupgrade/bin/yac
    /ptvupgrade/bin/elseed
    /ptvupgrade/bin/fly
    /ptvupgrade/bin/osd
    /ptvupgrade/bin/empty.png
    /ptvupgrade/bin/setpri
    /ptvupgrade/bin/phonereset.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/dhclient
    /ptvupgrade/bin/getpri
    /ptvupgrade/bin/http_get
    /ptvupgrade/bin/nicepri
    /ptvupgrade/bin/51killer.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/fakecall.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/firsttime
    /ptvupgrade/bin/flag_swap
    /ptvupgrade/bin/network.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/netconfig.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/setSSIDwep.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/set_dhcp.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/set_static.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/phone_net.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/phone_clear.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/dhcp_enable.ptv
    /ptvupgrade/bin/net-launch.sh
    /ptvupgrade/bin/network-delete.tcl
    /ptvupgrade/bin/set_ip
    /ptvupgrade/bin/dhcp_enable.ptv~
    /ptvupgrade/etc
    /ptvupgrade/etc/rc.sysinit.author
    Last edited by Menasco; 02-01-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Then that makes 6.3b's InstantCake different from every other one; InstantCake has always been an unhacked image. Looks like that one includes ptvupgrade and some other stuff.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

And from the dvrupgrade.com website's description of InstantCake 6.3b:
    This version of InstantCake will prepare your drive with version 6.3b of the system software. If your unit is eligible for a later version of the software, it will be updated automatically after being online for a few days.

If you are looking to network your HR10-250, then combine this product with PTVnetHD 6.3 which includes support for USB 2.0 Ethernet adapters, TiVoWebPlus 1.3.1 and telnet/ftp access to your unit.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Take a look for youself.

Below is a partial listing from drive created by restoring the image from an InstantCake 6.3b cd. I've also attached the entire listing in a txt file.

The command used was "restore -i ./000001 /dev/hdb

Billy Menasco

<SNIP>
    Anybody have a recipe for crow? You are certainly correct. I wonder if they have changed any of their earlier InstantCake images?

I would point out that you were incorrect about PTVnet, however. From Cheer's post, the product you are referring to is PTVnetHD 6.3

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    I would point out that you were incorrect about PTVnet, however. From Cheer's post, the product you are referring to is PTVnetHD 6.3

PlainBill
    I bought both.

The instructions request that you boot using the ptvnet cd. During the process you are asked if you are going to use instant cake and if so it prompts you to insert the cd.

The script then mounts and restores the 00001 image and then installs a tmp package and then creates the flags in /init/ptv_flags that are referenced at bootup.

Billy

If you booted with the ptvnet cd, then it loaded hacks into ram and loaded them after it restored the image. It didn't "set flags" on an unhacked drive. It copied all hacks and then set the flags to start the hacks you wanted.