Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: active partition and inactive partition - Fixing hdc: unknown partition table

active partition and inactive partition - Fixing hdc: unknown partition table

I went and did the command ls -l /mnt and I got the following:

total 8
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 J ul 23 2001 c/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Jul 23 2001 d/
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Jun 10 2001 dos/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Jul 23 2001 e/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Jun 10 2001 tivo/

When I mount hdc7, with the commands:
    mkdir /mnt/7
    mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/7 I get this below.
    /dev/hdc7: Success
    mount: you must specify the file system type.

When I mount hdc4, I get this below.
    mkdir /mnt/4
    mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt/4 I get this below.
    /dev/hdc4: Success
    mount: you must specify the file system type.

Should I next try these commands to find what's going on with the boot sector?
    bootpage -p /dev/hdc
    next mkdir /mnt/tivoroot
    next mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/tivoroot

A little history might help, but when presented with a situation like this I prefer to use bootpage -p /dev/hdc pdisk -l /dev/hdc also works. In either case if you get an invalid signature (9214 instead of 1492?), it's a byteswapping issue.

Also scroll back through the boot messages (shift-PageUp) to see if the drive is recognised properly.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

active partition and inactive partition - Fixing hdc: unknown partition table

PlainBill,

I will give that a try next. Thanks! I figured that it was a bye-swapping issue. But here's what happened since day 1. (THIS IS A LOT TO READ)
    I used MFS Tools 2.0 ISO CD.
    By mistake my cousin and I booted the Tivo with XP operating system and for a week we thought the DirecTV Tivo drive was locked. But it was not.
    XP "tag" my hard drive with a signature that uniquely identifies them (so they retain the same drive letter even if they are switched to a different channel, etc). It puts this information into the first 512 bytes of the drive from the "boot sector." SOLUTION: Thank goodness for MakeTivoBootable! I did the commands for it and it worked!

Next step/problem occurred.
    Still using MFSTools 2.0 CD I tried this command to backup the old DirecTV Tivo drive to a 40GIg hardrive(Got from a friend- I know! Not big enough drive) that would be used to just store it in case I mess up hacking it. - mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdb
    Result:
    Scanning source drive. Please wait a moment.
    Source drive size is 78 hours
    Backup image will be 78 hours
    Uncompressed backup size: 74776 megabytes
    Backup failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

So I decided to get a 250 Western Digital hardrive and changed my mind to now making this my replacement drive of the old 80Gig WD hardrive.
    I disconnected the 40Gig hardrive (my friends) and got the Western Digital
    250Gig hardrive 8MB Ram and connected to my old 10Gig hardrive as the DOS/Windows 98 fat32 C: Drive or partition) to have the following

hda Primary Master (DOS/Windows fat32 C: drive or partition)
    hdb Primary Slave (CD Rom is attached here)
    hdc Secondary Master (Attached old 80Gig TiVo A here)
    hdd Secondary Slave (Attached new 250GIg TiVo A here)

This happened

I last did another try by using PTVLBA48 CD.
    hda >> FAT32 drive (Primary Master) 10 GB
    hdb >> CD Rom (Primary Slave)
    hbc >> Tivo drive (Secondary Master) 80 GB
    hdd >> new 250 GB drive (Secondary Slave)
    Then I did the mfsbackup/restore command (mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zpi - /dev/hdd) that will copy from my old drive to the new drive and save recordings.

Result:
    /dev/hdc10: Success
    mfs_load_Volume_header: mfsvol_read_data: Input/Output error
    mfsbackup: Backup failed to start. Make sure you specified the right devices and that the drives are not locked.
    Restored failed: -Success

Taking a deep breath! So now I'm trying to make sure my partitions are back to the right settings.

hdc Secondary Master (Attached old 80Gig TiVo A here)
    hdd Secondary Slave (Attached new 250GIg TiVo A here)
    When you say "A" - was this part of a dual-drive setup? If so, you would need the "B" drive and use different commands. See the Hinsdale howto for some good info.

Have you considered the possiblility the drive is corrupt? I had a hard drive with bad sectors that I could not mount or see the bootpage, although I was able to mfsrestore an image to it. You might want to try to backup an image to your FAT drive and then try restoring it (that will not restore recordings though). Also, you should download and run manufacturer's diagnostics on your suspect drive.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

All MFStools 2.0 CDs are not created equal. Some default to byteswapping for Series 1, others don't. Most do not support LBA-48. The first step is to download the free PTVupgrade LBA-48 tools cd. It supports LBA-48 and does not byteswap.

Next, run MakeTivoBootable to fix the problems created by Microsoft's signature.

Then reboot and try either bootpage or pdisk as noted above.

PlainBill
    Last edited by PlainBill; 11-10-2006 at 11:35 AM.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

I mean A is the old DirecTV Tivo drive. I want to backup the image and the recordings to the replacement - 250Gig hardrive. So I'll try the mfsinfo command and then do the boot command and see what I find.

UPDATE on active partition and inactive partition - Fixing hdc: unknown partition tab

I used bootpage -p /dev/hdc since I know that it prints current bootpage parameters - should give you root=/dev/hda4 or root=/dev/hda7. and I did get root=/dev/hda7 (without the h for some reason.)

Then I did bootpage -b /dev/hdc -- to print current active boot partition - if root=/dev/hda4 this will be 3; if root=/dev/hda7 this will be 6.
    Since I got root=/dev/hda7, I got 6

From what I'm told Tivo uses two sets of partitions in booting your system. The 3/4 pair and the 6/7 pair. One pair is active and the other is the alternate. When tivo sends you a software upgrade, it places the software in the alternate set and flips the bootpage. Now, the 3rd partition is the kernel and the 4th is the root filesystem; similarly the 6th partition is the kernel and the 7th is the root.

So what should I be looking for now in order to have a successful backup and restore!

I meant -- So what should I be looking for now in order to have a successful backup and restore?

Please post EXACTLY what you got when you ran bootpage -p /dev/hdc. If you actually got root=/dev/da7 you have identified a problem.

In general, you must have a working original drive before you can expect to make a sucessful backup / copy.

PlainBill

Yes, when I did bootpage -p /dev/hdc. I actually got root=/dev/da7.
    So what does that mean and what will I have to do? PlainBill, I appreciate your skillfulness in this area.

Minor problem, you've got the new, improved bootpage. I've never used the latest PTVupgrade LBA-48 cd, so I'm not sure of the exact syntax. I BELIEVE the command should be
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hdc (note the upper case P).

Rather than risk making a mistake, I suggest waiting until one of the older and wiser (or younger and wiser) people who have actually used the improved bootpage gives you the exact syntax.

Also, given that the drive has been 'seen' by WinXP, have you run MakeTiVoBootable yet? If not, do so, then reboot and recheck the results of bootpage -p /dev/hdc

PlainBill

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill View Post
    I BELIEVE the command should be
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" /dev/hdc (note the upper case P).
    The only thing I (as a perhaps younger, definitely not wiser) contributor would add to PB's otherwise excellent post is when you do this with the drive in the PC, I believe you have to add the -C argument before the device you are writing to. So it should be:
    Code:
    bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdc
    Boldness added for emphasis. I'm not positive the -C is absolutely necessary but I've always done it like this (with PTV-lba48 disk) and never had any problems.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

active partition and inactive partition - Fixing hdc: unknown partition table Reply

Okay, here's what I used: bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 disscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false" -C /dev/hdc

The result:
    Updated boot page on /dev/hdc
    Updated boot page on /dev/hdc

So am I now set to umount everything, reboot and then try the mfsbackup | mfsrestore?

ScanMan - you're also a great help!!! So if the result above is what should be the good result then I guess I can now do the backup. Right? Hope so. This is good stuff!

Don't get too excited!!! First of all, run bootpage -p /dev/hdc to verify the boot parameters!! And have you run MakeTivoBootable? Next, put the drive in the TiVo to verify it boots. Then you are ready to copy it using mfsbackup / mfsrestore.

PlainBill