Thread: Tivo Series 3 Upgrading

Tivo Series 3 Upgrading

Hey all,
    It is nice to see the community alive and well.

I used to upgrade, replace, backup, restore, change over and basically have my way with my Tivos, but it's been a few years and I am ditching DTV and the HR250 and going with Cable and a Series 3, but I can't just go with the default 250GB drive, I have a compulsion to increase my storage..

Previously with the older Tivos it was easy, guides were all over the place. Heck, I even wrote one. But on Series 3, reading the multiple threads gets a bit confusing especially when they go off in different directions.

What I would like to know (and possibly a large number of others would like to know is):

1. The proper method of upgrading from the single 250GB native drive to a 500 (or larger) replacement drive. Both out of the box and with recordings.
    2. The proper method of upgrading from the single 250GB native drive to TWO 500GB (or larger) replacement drives. Again, both out of the box and with recordings.

It also would be helpful to be informed of potential drive conflicts or recomendations and cable or other equipment issues.
    Like ...Can I use any Sata drive?

I know some of you are loathe to put together a "guide" so I wil do it, I just need some more information on the Series 3.

The best "guide" so far is: http://www.bumwine.com/tivo.html

In leu of any guide, and a question I really want to have an answer for is:

Can a second drive be added to the Series 3 yet?

How is it done? I have not seen any information on it yet. (or I missed it)
    A Toy! A New Toy! Thank the Lord UPS brought a New TOY!

Quote Originally Posted by drapatin View Post
    In leu of any guide, and a question I really want to have an answer for is:

Can a second drive be added to the Series 3 yet?

How is it done? I have not seen any information on it yet. (or I missed it)
    Single drive only, unless you want to push the envelope and figure out how to make eSata work.

The bumwine "dd" method is old school. I prefer an mfstools based copy myself.

No need for yet another guide. mfslive covers the S3, as does the weaknees upgrade instructions. Both fix the swap size and partition size problems of the older mfstools cd's.

I must be getting old, I missed ALL of that..

thanks.
    A Toy! A New Toy! Thank the Lord UPS brought a New TOY!