Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended USB 2.0 adapter

Recommended USB 2.0 adapter

What is a recommended USB 2.0 (at low cost) adapter for the Tivo these days?

AGIGAUSB seems to have gone to a high rarity status, along with ASOHOUSB.

I'm leaning towards DLink's USB-E100 which is supported (at least with usb.map modifications worst case) and of course the back-ported drivers support them for USB 2.0 etc. And the price is right (newegg has them for $21.99)

What are other people's take on it?

Another adapter in the same price range that should work is the Trendnet TU2-ET100. There are three versions with two different vendor/product codes, but all are supported in the backport and stock tivo 8.1 modules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Another adapter in the same price range that should work is the Trendnet TU2-ET100.
    Cool, thanks, will look into that too. Shame about the AGIGAUSB, I think I saw a fleabay ad for $29.99 (+shipping+first born child) which is a bit steep, but given the rarity, fair enough I suppose (supply/demand).

Whatever happened to Airlink? I tried the email contact on their website and it gave an error. Maybe I'll try calling them. Have they gone under?

Quote Originally Posted by imaloserbaby View Post
    Cool, thanks, will look into that too. Shame about the AGIGAUSB, I think I saw a fleabay ad for $29.99 (+shipping+first born child) which is a bit steep, but given the rarity, fair enough I suppose (supply/demand).

Whatever happened to Airlink? I tried the email contact on their website and it gave an error. Maybe I'll try calling them. Have they gone under?
    Their site still looks alive to me. A google on AGIGAUSB still finds some vendors who claim to have it in stock.

For years the basic "It Just Works" USB-ethernet dongle was the Netgear FA-120, but these have become discontinued and fetch a rather high price when you can find one.

The main issue with the Airlink AGIGAUSB is that it used to be a $12 adapter, and even lower at firesale discount. I recall some of the guys here picking them up at Fry's for $5 or so. Plus it supported the Jumbo Frames option for Jamie's Gigabit drivers and higher network throughput. Now it seems you need to shell out upwards of $50 for one, shipped.

In the USB backport thread, discussion briefly follows a dongle with similar controller as the Airlink AGIGAUSB, the Linksys usb1000. Both use use the ax88178 chipset, but the USB1000 is also pricey.

I suppose you could always go direct to Tivo's own store (Tivo Gear) and order the Linksys USB200Mv2 or whatever they're supplying, now. Some folks don't like the 'trap door' design for the RJ45 connection, but I've never had a problem with it.
    Last edited by Narf54321; 02-06-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Their site still looks alive to me. A google on AGIGAUSB still finds some vendors who claim to have it in stock.
    I was lazy and did a froogle and only came up with the 1 ebay'er. I find a lot of dead google links, or you order and they don't have it in stock, blah, blah, other such annoyances. I actually called them and they said "go to outpost.com" - when I said I'd tried that, they said "we're out of stock"? Anyway, I've asked to be emailed if they ever get them back "in stock" (I had a crazy idea in my mind that they *manufactured* them ) but for now I'll probably go with the DUB-E100, but thanks for the feedback so far, don't want to be limited to just 1 tivo adapter.

I did a little more thorough searching and somehow I was lucky enough to find this place selling them for not to shabby looking prices.

http://www.3gplaza.com/estore/contro...438&srccode=YA

Hi,

Is there anyway to get more USB device support on my series 2 directivo. It is a Hughes hdvr2 and I am still running the 3.1.1e software. I also have used ptvnet's upgrade that allows the use of the USB ports. Right now I am using a Netgear fa120 but these are way overpriced. I could upgrade the software, but I have so many things in place, I'd rather just keep the 3.1.1e running. The USB files are in the /ptvupgrade/modules/usb20/2.4.4 directory. Files like usbcore.o, usbnet.o, pegasus.o etc. I understand my tivo, I have installed much on it, but I do not understand the backported drivers and what I would have to do to get them working, if they indeed would give me what I want (to be able to use other wired usb adaptors other than fa120 and usb200m ver. 1. I just picked up a tu2-et100 and was hoping it would work for me out of the box, but it won't. In my message log it says TiVo/mips/brcm/rel version 2.5 which I guess is the linux version it is running? Any help here appreciated.

3.1.1e doesn't auto-load drivers. You need to figure out which of the backport drivers correspond to your new adapter, and edit rc.sysinit.author so that it insmod's the correct files.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    The main issue with the Airlink AGIGAUSB is that it used to be a $12 adapter, and even lower at firesale discount. I recall some of the guys here picking them up at Fry's for $5 or so.
    Yeah, what the heck happened to these things? I bought 5 of them for $15-$20 each a while back and felt like I was getting the short end based on all the $5 from Fry's posts. The Buy Now link on their site is broken now, but before use to open Fry's with a product ID that no longer existed.

I tried to pick some up for a buddy, hit 3 Fry's while I was on vacation and not a single unit on the shelves.

It appears that it is the same set of drivers that run the Hawking UF200, the AX88172 set. If this is the case, could someone give me more details as to how and where to out the driver files. I cannot imagine it is as simple as copying some files to the tivi. I have edited many files on the tivo including the rc.sysinit.author . Again anyone who can help, please do so.

Quote Originally Posted by jjsalobird View Post
    It appears that it is the same set of drivers that run the Hawking UF200, the AX88172 set. If this is the case, could someone give me more details as to how and where to out the driver files. I cannot imagine it is as simple as copying some files to the tivi. I have edited many files on the tivo including the rc.sysinit.author . Again anyone who can help, please do so.
    Have you gone to DVRUpgrade (formerly PVRUpgade) for support on your PTVNet software? We're not inclined to reverse engineer it for you to figure out how they are configuring your network. If you can do that yourself, the current backport drivers are here. If you can't, perhaps you should work through the product vendor, since they are the ones that got your money. I'm pretty sure they have a newer version that supports the tu2-et100. Alternatively, start with a fresh image without the PTVNet software, and follow the readme's included in the backport documentation.

Do any of the cheap USB wireless G adapters work? Every time I see one on sale for almost free A/R I check the list of supported adapters and of course it's not listed.

Looks like either wired and a game adapter or the tivo adapter is the way to go.

My Linksys 200m v2.0 (about 3 years old) died the other day. The only wired USB adapter I could get locally was the Linksys 200m v2.1 . It works flawlessly.

It looks like the 2.0, just a bit shorter (say 1/4"). Its RJ45 connector is a better design than the 200M v2.0 (much sturdier). I had to use zip ties to hold the ethernet cable in place on the old v2.0, or any little movement would pop the cable out. The v2.1 clicks solidly in place.

That said, I'll probably zip tie this one anyway to Kid/dog/cat/wife proof it.
    'There's no need to play "shoot the newbies" here.' [David Bought : 10-04-2003]

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Looks like either wired and a game adapter or the tivo adapter is the way to go.
    I use a Linksys wrt54g wireless router with replacement firmware. Then you can use it as a wireless bridge (much like the game adapter, but cheaper and better reception).

You load dd-wrt firmware on it (easy to use) or openwrt (harder to use, but more powerful).

For my tivo adapter, I use dd-wrt.

-Jim
    HR10-250, 6.3e, HMO/HME, etc
    HR21
    DVR80, 6.2, hacked, MRV, etc, networked via a hacked WST54GS
    DVR39, upgraded to 250 hours - 3.1.1b 4.0.1b 3.1.1e 6.2, now MRV-only due to a bad sat2 decoder
    2x Hacked XBox for XBMC
    Running Linux since '93.