Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HR10-250 as just an OTA recorder?

Quote Originally Posted by imaloserbaby View Post
    I assume you had it disconnected from the telephone and weren't setup for network based updates?
    Right.
    I'm sure "something" is needed on the access card? (I believe the card needed a tivo tier to record etc) - perhaps the card was hooked up to tivo, but so long ago that "kill" packets no longer come down? Who knows...
    I don't understand your question or where you're going with your reasoning. Once the system has been up for a period of time without directv service being active, the tivo goes into 'boat anchor' mode. At that point, the system disallows making OTA recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by bcc View Post
    Right.I don't understand your question or where you're going with your reasoning. Once the system has been up for a period of time without directv service being active, the tivo goes into 'boat anchor' mode. At that point, the system disallows making OTA recordings.
    I just plugged mine back in, it's been disconnected for at least 2 or 3 months, still records OTA without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    I just plugged mine back in, it's been disconnected for at least 2 or 3 months, still records OTA without a problem.
    Is it hacked? If so, does it "pulse" (daily etc) a fakecall? What date does it show for the last successful "call in"?
    Last edited by imaloserbaby; 08-04-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Is it hacked? If so, does it "pulse" (daily etc) a fakecall? What date does it show for the last successful "call in"?
    It is hacked, so fakecall is installed. I'll have to plug it back in to check it's last successful call in. Since it's not a unit that I have in use I don't keep it plugged in at all.

I'll check when I get a chance later tonight and post the results.

Ok, I hooked it back up tonight to record the Colts@Cowboys Pre-Season game in HD (OTA) to see if it would still work and the last successful call in shows as today but there is a message that says that I haven't had a successful call in for over 800 days. Something like 897 days.

Anyway, it is hacked and it does record OTA just fine. Of course before you can get to Live TV you have to let it get data from the sat, which means you have to hook it up to the dish. You don't have to have a subscription but you do have to have the dish to get the signal.

After it gets the data that it needs the only channels you will have is your local OTA HD channels and since they're there the TiVo functions work fine.

Will they eventually stop working? I don't know, but for now they work fine and record just as if I had a subscription on that TiVo.

You might want to check the software version is it running and whether any of your hacks non-public ones.

The behavior your box exhibits strikes me as atypical; in general the following things render the box incapable of any DVR functions (other than 30-minute buffer with trick play).

- leaving your box in the stream when deactivating (presumably some sort of deactivation message is sent through the stream).
    - the expiration of the access card (DVR-tier in specific I believe).

On the latter one, given that smartcards generally lack a Real Time Clock, there are different ways that they could expire: timestamps or decrementing over time, etc.

All I can tell you is that from my personal experience, the HR10-250 with the 3.1.5f installed using PTVnet and Instant Cake and Ty encryption removed so files could be extracted will record OTA without being activated.

So the answer to the OP is Yes, the HR10-250 can be used as an OTA recorder. You may have to follow the steps that I mentioned above to install 3.1.5f though, but that's no big deal. OTA with no activation works perfectly.

All I can tell you is that from my personal experience, the HR10-250 with the 3.1.5f installed using PTVnet and Instant Cake and Ty encryption removed so files could be extracted will record OTA without being activated.
    That is true, for a period of time (approx. 2 weeks) for unactivated systems. The system should eventually go into 'boat anchor' mode after the grace period.

That is true, for a period of time (approx. 2 weeks) for unactivated systems. The system should eventually go into 'boat anchor' mode after the grace period.
    It's been unactivated for several months now.

It's been unactivated for several months now.
    Likewise. The grace period probably goes off of elapsed uptime not deactivated time (otherwise new boxes that have been sitting on the shelf would start out in boat-anchor mode).

In any case I certainly wouldn't recommend buying an hr10-250 just for ota recordings. A PC OTA tuner would be a better choice IMO.

Likewise. The grace period probably goes off of elapsed uptime not deactivated time (otherwise new boxes that have been sitting on the shelf would start out in boat-anchor mode).

In any case I certainly wouldn't recommend buying an hr10-250 just for ota recordings. A PC OTA tuner would be a better choice IMO.
    I'll keep it running and we'll see what happens. If it shuts off then no big deal, I'll just pop another hard drive in.

Still going strong.

This is how my HR10-250 works

VaBeachGuy, I'm glad you are happy with your TiVo.

My HR10-250 with either 3.15f or 6.3 software, powers on in boat anchor mode.
    It will not record anything, you can't see the to-do list, and it starts out with no guide data (it deletes it?).
    Once it's done downloading sat account info, The boat anchor clears (I have a valid account), I can enter the to-do list, and guide info slowly populates.

Is my experience abnormal? I think mine is locked down more than most.

Red Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dog View Post
    VaBeachGuy, I'm glad you are happy with your TiVo.

My HR10-250 with either 3.15f or 6.3 software, powers on in boat anchor mode.
    It will not record anything, you can't see the to-do list, and it starts out with no guide data (it deletes it?).
    Once it's done downloading sat account info, The boat anchor clears (I have a valid account), I can enter the to-do list, and guide info slowly populates.

Is my experience abnormal? I think mine is locked down more than most.

Red Dog
    Try this, take the access card out and boot up. It should go through all the processes that it needs to, get data from the Sats and then there will be no DirecTV signal because you have no access card.

Then tune to a local HD channel and see if you get anything and if you can record.

I don't know if this will replicate what I have or not but it will give you an idea of whether or not you can record OTA without DirecTV access.

I won't be keeping my de-activated HR10-250 de-activated much longer. I'm going to activate it for football seasons but as soon as they switch to MPEG4 I'll shut it back down and will let it run for OTA's for as long as I can.

I'll post here when/if it goes into boat anchor mode.

Try this, take the access card out and boot up. It should go through all the processes that it needs to, get data from the Sats and then there will be no DirecTV signal because you have no access card.

Then tune to a local HD channel and see if you get anything and if you can record.
    I gave it a try. I can watch OTA live. But I can not record OTA or see the to-do list. It gives me "please activate DVR service". It's in boat anchor mode.

Does your unit record OTA with out your card? Do you get "please insert access card" while viewing a previously recorded show?

Red Dog.
    Last edited by Red_Dog; 08-29-2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: more info