Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HR10-250 as just an OTA recorder?

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    ....so they just started charging anyone with an HD capable receiver for the privilige of having access to HD programming.....It sounds like you got a CSR that didn't understand the new pricing structure.
    That's the key; Getting the right CSR. I called and asked to lose the HD package. He did it for me with no objection. Strangely, he shut off all my programming then turned back on everthing except the HD package.

Your mileage may vary.
    Red Dog.

After reading this thread, I'm still not clear on what the situation is with a HR10-250 after I drop my subscription with DirecTV.

Will I be able to watch content that I've already recorded? If yes, will I get annoying messages while watching it? (I can leave it connected to the dish if need be).

Will I be able to use it to record OTA HD? If yes, do I need specific versions of the software and/or hacks?

I'll be dropping my sub soon and I've got a lot of shows that I stacked in the past month, I haven't watched them yet, and, probably won't get around to them in a while...

One other question - someone mentioned I could hack my Directv series2 Tivo to use with Tivoserver even if I dropped my subscription, where I could retrieve content from the Tivoserver. However, I don't really know what hack I need to put in to let me to continue to use it without being sub'd.

Yes, you can watch programs already recorded. Doesn't need to be connected to anything but a TV.

No, you won't be able to record OTA HD. (Some people report that if they pull the access card before disconnecting service, that the box will continue to record OTA. You get NO guide data, however.)

As far as I know, you can't hack a DTiVo to use TiVo's PC-based server. You can hack it to use mfs_ftp and other tools to move shows back and forth. The standard network and video extraction hacks will do this. Nothing that requires connection to TiVo servers will work.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevel View Post
    No, you won't be able to record OTA HD. (Some people report that if they pull the access card before disconnecting service, that the box will continue to record OTA. You get NO guide data, however.)
    By "disconnecting service" are you talking about getting rid of DirecTV completely or are you talking about dropping the TiVo from your subscription but keeping DTV?

As we've discussed (probably in this thread) I had an HR10-250 that I got off eBay and it wasn't subscribed to DTV yet it recorded OTA just fine. I was told that after a week or 2 it would stop recording but it never did.

It required a connection to the dish but it was not part of my subscription and could not pick up any DTV, just OTA.

I don't know how much longer it would have continued function because football season started and I registered it so I could record my NFL games, but if it worked fine for about 2 months and then stopped all you'd have to do is re-do the hard drive and poof another 2 months or so. Some might consider that a pain but if it worked I'd do it.
    7 RCA DVR80's Hacked (All with 250GB each)
    2 HR10-250's Hacked (Both with 400GB)
    2 HR20-100's Stock

Existing DirectTV service and HR10-250 no mods.

I also recently purchased an HR10-250 from ebay to replace an existing DTV recorder (on my 3rd one since Feb. and it is bad too).

I have a sub for 2 recievers from DTV (one DVR) and am wondering if I can cancel my existing DVR sub and hook this one up without paying for the DVR service. I own the box and have a valid card.

Nope. You need the DVR service in order to record anything. You can use the HR10-250 without a sub if you just want to use it as an ATSC tuner with guide data (sat hookup required for guide data).
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I'm going to see if I can get one on eBay for $30 or $40 just to hack and hook up without a sub and see how long it will record OTA. I doubt I'll get one for that price, but I'll try.
    2 HR20-100's Stock

From reading other posts it sounds like all I do is call DTV and have them activate the DVR. With any luck it sounds like I might be able to talk them out of the $10 HD service -- if I don't use it. However, it sounds like some people had to pay the HD amount regardless.

Do I understand this correctly?

It's such a waste of equipment. I've had my HR10-250 lying around for the past years since switching to FIOS. I originally paid around $1000 for this thing. I can't seem to throw it out. I would love to be able to hook it up to a security camera at home and just record that feed 24/7. How would that be stealing anything? I wish someone could figure out a way to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    I'm going to see if I can get one on eBay for $30 or $40 just to hack and hook up without a sub and see how long it will record OTA. I doubt I'll get one for that price, but I'll try.
    VaBeachGuy, I just bought a HR10-250 off ebay that I'm going to use as a test box to develop some MIPS applications. (S2 spam blocker)

I'd like to work with you to figure out if a non-sub HR10-250 will or won't record OTA indefinitely. My results with a subbed unit are diametrically opposed to yours. My test wasn't apples to apples, because I had to simulate not-subbed by pulling the card or sat cable.

Red Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dog View Post
    VaBeachGuy, I just bought a HR10-250 off ebay that I'm going to use as a test box to develop some MIPS applications. (S2 spam blocker)

I'd like to work with you to figure out if a non-sub HR10-250 will or won't record OTA indefinitely. My results with a subbed unit are diametrically opposed to yours. My test wasn't apples to apples, because I had to simulate not-subbed by pulling the card or sat cable.

Red Dog.
    I've been busy buying and selling Wii's so I haven't had a lot of time to work on getting a cheap HR10 yet, hopefully I'll be able to after the holiday. Of course once the NFL season ends I'll shut my HR10's off anyway so come February I'll be able to test it out and update my progress.
    2 HR20-100's Stock

I'd like to help out as well. Let me know if there's anything I can do to test the OTA recording functionality of this thing. I still want to use it to easily record a single stream from my security camera.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachGuy View Post
    I've been busy buying and selling Wii's so I haven't had a lot of time to work on getting a cheap HR10 yet, hopefully I'll be able to after the holiday. Of course once the NFL season ends I'll shut my HR10's off anyway so come February I'll be able to test it out and update my progress.
    Bump: It's been almost a year since the last time this was discussed, VaBeachGuy, if you're still around, what happened when you deactivated that sucker?

I imagine quite a few people are going to be interested in the answer, given the looming bye-bye to the DTV MPEG2 HD channels. Speaking for myself, I'd love to have my trusty hacked-to-the-gills HR10-250 still working as an OTA DVR (and I'm not talking about swiping service; I'm paying the DVR fee either way thanks to other DTV boxes in my house).

Bump again...

I am leaving DirecTV is a couple weeks (they refuse to even try to compete with DISH's Turbo HD offers) so I am really interested in this now.

I find myself with an old HR10-250; I'd love to know if there's a way to use it as an OTA recorder. Based on this thread, I've found a free sat dish that could (I hope) be used to download guide data; however, it seems that there might be some activation issues or something.

Any new experiences with this unit? Thanks.