Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 6.3C slices now in stream

Quote Originally Posted by cmylxgo View Post
    Is there a way to pull tivoapp out of the slices and just copy it over to the active directory and reboot? Assuming that is the only thing that has changed.
    I did this and my Tivo still says it's 6.3b. I did an MD5 hash on the tivoapp and the 6.3b original and they are different. I hex dumped the tivoapp file and didn't see the version in it. Anybody know where is comes from?

I found this in installSw.itcl. Would executing this change it?
    Code:
        # First, deactivate any previously active software system
        catch {
            RetryTransaction {
                set oldActive [db $db open /SwSystem/ACTIVE]
                dbobj $oldActive remove Active
            }
        }

# Now, activate the desired one.
        RetryTransaction {
            set sysHandle [db $db open "/SwSystem/$swName"]
            dbobj $sysHandle set Active 1
        }
    Last edited by dburckh; 03-10-2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Added snippet from installSw.itcl

6.3b to 6.3c the lazy way

As I'm completely impatient, I tried this and it worked. He's what I did:

1. mfs_dumpobj -r /SwModule

Look for something like this. The numbers may be different. Take down the ModuleFile[19]=xxxxx. You'll need this number

Code:
    SwModule 643712/11 PRIMARY {
            ServerVersion[9]=2
            ModuleFile[19]=xxxxx
            ModuleRelease[18]=1
            ModuleVersion[17]=6.3c-01-2
            Name[16]=GZcore
            ServerId[8]=89631583
            Version[1]=1
            IndexPath[4]=/SwModule/643712 /Server/89631583
    2. mfs_uberexport xxxxx > /tmp/GZcore

3. extact /tvbin/tivoapp from /tmp/GZcore. I did it with 7zip on my PC. You might be able to do it with gzip or cpio on the tivo.
    4. mv /tvbin/tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp.63b
    5. copy extracted tivoapp to /tvbin
    6. Patch tivoapp as desired
    7. run "setVersion.tcl 6.3c-01-2-357". WARNING: Don't run this if you didn't receive the 6.3c slices. If "6.3c-01-2-357" does not show up with "mfs_ls /SwSystem" then you will corrupt your system.
    8. reboot

Disclaimer: I'm complete nuts for trying this, but it appears to be working. I'm also very lazy. If you are nervous, wait for someone who has "Diamond Member" by their name to approve it. Don't try this with 3.1.5f or 6.3a.

Thanks: to mr_zorg, cmylxgo, and of course, Jamie for all the info.
    Last edited by dburckh; 03-12-2007 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Added warning about not receving the slices

Quote Originally Posted by dburckh View Post

Look for something like this. The numbers may be different. Take down the ModuleFile[19]=xxxxx. You'll need this number

Code:
            ServerVersion[9]=2
            ModuleFile[19]=xxxxx
            ModuleRelease[18]=1
            Name[16]=GZcore
            ServerId[8]=89631583
            Version[1]=1

3. extact /tvbin/tivoapp from /tmp/GZcore. I did it with 7zip on my PC. You might be able to do it with gzip or cpio on the tivo.
    7. run "setVersion.tcl 6.3c-01-2-357"
    8. reboot

Disclaimer: I'm complete nuts for trying this, but it appears to be working. I'm also very lazy. If you are nervous, wait for someone who has "Diamond Member" by their name to approve it. Don't try this with 3.1.5f or 6.3a.

I tried this on a test tivo
    (DVR39 had version 6.3-01-2 that was updated to 6.3b-01-2 {just did the tivoapp fix so it still says 6.3-01-2 for the SwSystem})
    It does not have the slices download (I got the slices / tivoapp slice from a hr10-250 tivo)

Step
    error is
    : command not found
    .//setVersion.tcl: line 26: syntax error: unexpected end of file

So I rebooted it anyways.. seems all OK.
    SwSystem still shows it to be 6.3-01-2 but I guess not a big deal. I sure would like to change it tough
    It looks like setVersion.tcl has something wrong with it?
    Last edited by Butch; 03-10-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Code:
            ServerVersion[9]=2
            ModuleFile[19]=xxxxx
            ModuleRelease[18]=1
            Name[16]=GZcore
            ServerId[8]=89631583
            Version[1]=1

8. reboot

HDTVRM-TiVo# ./setVersion.tcl 6.3c-01-2-357
    can't open object (TV_DB_NOT_FOUND)

while executing
    "db $db open "/SwSystem/$swName""
    invoked from within
    "set sysHandle [db $db open "/SwSystem/$swName"]"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    }"
    (file "./setVersion.tcl" line 21)
    HDTVRM-TiVo#
    Of course I'm only using logic since I don't have the knowledge ... and of course I DONATED !

Code:
            ServerVersion[9]=2
            ModuleFile[19]=xxxxx
            ModuleRelease[18]=1
            Name[16]=GZcore
            ServerId[8]=89631583
            Version[1]=1

8. reboot

Please elaborate on step 3. I must be doing something wrong because I'm not getting a file that has expected original values at the hack locations. I do have 7zip and tried that. If you open the /tmp/GZcore you extracted with 7zip, do you actually get a file listing with tivoapp being one of them? I don't. I DID transfer in bin mode from the tivo. First thing I though of.
    TheSaint

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Step
    error is
    : command not found
    .//setVersion.tcl: line 26: syntax error: unexpected end of file
    Make sure you ftp the file setVersion.tcl file in binary mode. It you open it in vi and it has "^M" at the end of the line, either re-ftp it in binary more or run dos2unix on it then "chmod 755 setVersion.tcl"

If you version updated to 6.3c, then it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Logandros View Post
    HDTVRM-TiVo# ./setVersion.tcl 6.3c-01-2-357
    can't open object (TV_DB_NOT_FOUND)

while executing
    "db $db open "/SwSystem/$swName""
    invoked from within
    "set sysHandle [db $db open "/SwSystem/$swName"]"
    ("uplevel" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    }"
    (file "./setVersion.tcl" line 21)
    HDTVRM-TiVo#
    This one is puzzling. My guess is you don't have the 6.3c slices or your environment isn't setup. Try running "mfs_ls /SwSystem". You should see something like:
    Code:
    dir: fsid=3248 count=4
          fsid   type     name
          -----------------------------------
        250639   tyDb     6.3a-01-2-357
        407743   tyDb     6.3b-01-2-357
        643710   tyDb     6.3c-01-2-357
        643710   tyDb     ACTIVE
    If 6.3c isn't there you don't have the slices. It's 6.3c-somethingElse use that on setVersion.tcl
    Last edited by dburckh; 03-10-2007 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post
    Please elaborate on step 3. I must be doing something wrong because I'm not getting a file that has expected original values at the hack locations. I do have 7zip and tried that. If you open the /tmp/GZcore you extracted with 7zip, do you actually get a file listing with tivoapp being one of them? I don't. I DID transfer in bin mode from the tivo. First thing I though of.
    When I open it in 7-zip, initially I get something called named "[content]". Double click on that and then you should get the file list. tivoapp is under the /tvbin directory.

This one is puzzling. My guess is you don't have the 6.3c slices or your environment isn't setup. Try running "mfs_ls /SwSystem". You should see something like:
    Code:
    dir: fsid=3248 count=4
          fsid   type     name
          -----------------------------------
        250639   tyDb     6.3a-01-2-357
        407743   tyDb     6.3b-01-2-357
        643710   tyDb     6.3c-01-2-357
        643710   tyDb     ACTIVE
    If 6.3c isn't there you don't have the slices. It's 6.3c-somethingElse use that on setVersion.tcl

If 6.3c isn't there you don't have the slices. It's 6.3c-somethingElse use that on setVersion.tcl[/QUOTE]

I copied a 6.3c-01-2-357 tivoapp into my tivo. My tivo does not have the slices. So I take it thats why Step 7. run "setVersion.tcl 6.3c-01-2-357 came up with errors.

Is it ok not to run Step 7. run "setVersion.tcl 6.3c-01-2-357 ? Is it only cosmetic that the tivo says SwSystem=6.3-01-2 ?
    ( My SwSystem says 6.3-01-21-2 but is actually 6.3b-01-2 because the last way I updated it / just using the tivoapp etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Is it ok not to run Step 7. run "setVersion.tcl 6.3c-01-2-357 ? Is it only cosmetic that the tivo says SwSystem=6.3-01-2 ?
    ( My SwSystem says 6.3-01-21-2 but is actually 6.3b-01-2 because the last way I updated it / just using the tivoapp etc)[/QUOTE]

It SHOULD be ok. It's a little confusing though.

I been searching for a way to change the version # but no luck.
    I could have swore I seen it somewhere.
    I did a search on the complete slices for "6.3c" text but no luck.

If you had a failed setVersion.tcl

Like others, I mistakenly ran setVersion.tcl after manually replacing tivoapp with the 6.3c version, but without actually having the rest of the 6.3c slices in place. This didn't seem to cause any problem on first reboot, but my machine became unstable soon after and then went into the fabled Boat Anchor Mode, insisting that my DVR service wasn't active and indicating that it was doing a software update on every boot.

To work around the problem, just re-run setVersion.tcl with 6.3b on the command line (assuming you still have the 6.2b slices as I did):

setVersion.tcl 6.3b-01-2-357

Then be sure to reboot.

It doesn't solve the initial problem of convincing the tivo it's actually running 6.3c, but you'll be back in business otherwise.

Joel

Both of my machines got the slices. I just didn't want to go through the slicer again and have to reinstall my backported drivers and deal with other possible network issues. I didn't consider that people would run it without the slices.

I believe what you are suggesting should work. The first thing the script does is deactivates current version, then it activates the specified version. You can see the problem if you try to activate a version that doesn't exists.

If you do an "mfs_ls /SwSystem" the active release should have the same fsid as the "ACTIVE" file.

Both of my machines got the slices. I just didn't want to go through the slicer again and have to reinstall my backported drivers and deal with other possible network issues. I didn't consider that people would run it without the slices.

I believe what you are suggesting should work. The first thing the script does is deactivates current version, then it activates the specified version. You can see the problem if you try to activate a version that doesn't exists.

If you do an "mfs_ls /SwSystem" the active release should have the same fsid as the "ACTIVE" file.
    Not that I'm slice begging... But I'm slice begging. I've tried to get my HR10 to download the slices for the last few days, but I guess they aren't in the stream anymore. Any idea why the fools at Dave keep calling me and telling me that I can force a call and it will download 6.3c for the time shift?

Not that I can, since I'm on a cell phone only. solutions?

When I open it in 7-zip, initially I get something called named "[content]". Double click on that and then you should get the file list. tivoapp is under the /tvbin directory.
    I finally figured that out:-) Strange how that works.

I've successfully updated tivoapp and setversion worked for me. I'm at 6.3c by virtue of manually mods for both b and c. Seems to be working just fine.
    TheSaint