Thread: Hr20 Question

Hr20 Question

Hello, I'm thinking about getting the Hr20, but before I did I wanted to make sure that a phone line is not required. I've read in the forum that it's not required, but I wanted to makes sure that it's not even needed for initial setup. Could someone please advise? Also, can you sort your recorded programs by groups like you can with tivo. Thanks.

Sorry, I have a phone line and never tried initial setup without it. IIRC, the do tell you a phone line is required.

Unlike 6.x software on the DirecTiVos, the HR20 defaults to grouping recordings.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else know if a phone line is required for initial setup?

Depends what you mean by required, I guess. It isn't required for any technical purpose, but the installer, if you use one, will tell you it's a requirement. I connected the phone cord to the HR20 and told the installer the other end was connected, even though it wasn't. That was good enough for him.

No phone connected to HR20

Quote Originally Posted by wbandit View Post
    Hello, I'm thinking about getting the Hr20, but before I did I wanted to make sure that a phone line is not required. I've read in the forum that it's not required, but I wanted to makes sure that it's not even needed for initial setup. Could someone please advise? Also, can you sort your recorded programs by groups like you can with tivo. Thanks.
    I have had a HR20 (along with 4 other DirecTivos) running for about 4 months without a phone line connected. (Never have had a phone line connected to HR20). I did recently add a network adapter to the HR20 to begin using some of the networking capabilities in the box. I have not done any PPVs on that receiver, but I did watch NFL Sunday ticket & ESPN College football package.

Yes, you can group recorded programs with the HR20. (You have a few more options on group sorting than what you are able to do on the DirecTivos).
    Last edited by LittleJohnny; 02-19-2007 at 12:05 PM.

What a good idea, I never thought of that.