Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

Superpatch was used to add MRV and HME, among other things. Encryption was disabled by a tivoapp patch, which may or may not have been part of the superpatch. It's been so long since I used the superpatch that I don't remember all of the features it enabled. You can still disable encryption on a S3 by patching the tivoapp file manually. The latest patch locations are listed in one of the S3 forums. You will have to mod the EPROM in order to patch the tivoapp file.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Quote Originally Posted by captain_video View Post
    Superpatch was used to add MRV and HME, among other things. Encryption was disabled by a tivoapp patch, which may or may not have been part of the superpatch. It's been so long since I used the superpatch that I don't remember all of the features it enabled. You can still disable encryption on a S3 by patching the tivoapp file manually. The latest patch locations are listed in one of the S3 forums. You will have to mod the EPROM in order to patch the tivoapp file.
    Got it. Thank you.
    So can I just buy a hacked PROM chip for s3. Like the one I bought for my S2 after I soldered the socket? Is it the same chip?
    S3 / TCD648250b - Socketed
    Audio out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring2099 View Post
    So can I just buy a hacked PROM chip for s3. Like the one I bought for my S2 after I soldered the socket? Is it the same chip?
    Same as the S2 just different code. SST39 (3v) or SST37 (12v).

I'm curious what everyone thinks of this method http://www.coreboot.org/images/1/1f/...stallation.pdf

I think that some experienced reliability issues with the piggyback socket (coming lose and causing boot failures) and that a more secure PROM socket wasn't that much more involved.

Removing the PROM with chip-quik (lowers the possibility of lifting a pad) and cutting out the bottom of the socket makes the process easier.

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo View Post
    I think that some experienced reliability issues with the piggyback socket (coming lose and causing boot failures)
    I can see how heat cycling could cause the piggyback. You should be able to solve that with a gob of RTV or caulk though.

I see, Thx ciper.

Quote Originally Posted by buechel View Post
    [*] To modify the kernel, you need to get the tivo drive in a PC computer running Linux. You'll need a SATA port on your desktop PC and a specialized linux boot disk. As of March 2007, I'm finding the best ISO for this purpose is at mfslive.org However Mr Black's replace_initrd is not compatible with the version of DD on the mfslive boot disk. I haven't looked into why this is yet. You will need another linux environment to actually edit the kernel in.
    Last edited by Offspring2099; 01-22-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: I read and learned...
    Audio out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by tivo4mevo View Post
    I think that some experienced reliability issues with the piggyback socket (coming lose and causing boot failures) and that a more secure PROM socket wasn't that much more involved.
    3x piggyback promed R10's
    2x years never had a problem with them, at all.

These were a very done with very ugly soldering (learn by doing!!). Very not pretty, but functioned perfect. The only thing I did that might have helped was I hot glued the piggybacked sockets first to each other, and secondly glued the assembled adapter in place on the mainboard.
    They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza!-----------
    3XR10, prommed, 3xdvr40,4xdvr39, all networked, ranging from 40GB to 750GB

Quote Originally Posted by crashHD View Post
    and secondly glued the assembled adapter in place on the mainboard.
    I think this is a great idea and is probably a big reason why its still working! Would you happen to have any pictures?

On the other hand I tried to do it all the hard way and my TivoHD has been dead for many days LOL
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=60293

There is no ls that works with series 3? Or just at that time of the install 'ls' was not in the path or not even ftp'ed over yet???

Quote Originally Posted by buechel View Post
    [CENTER]
    That's it. If everything works out right the boot is successful and I can then telnet in. Because there is no ls yet available, I blindly navigate to /tivo-bin and use cpio to install Alpha Wolfs tools.
    from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=10
    Audio out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring2099 View Post
    There is no ls that works with series 3? Or just at that time of the install 'ls' was not in the path or not even ftp'ed over yet??
    You misunderstand. He was saying "since LS isn't on the system yet I had to navigate manually and copy one over"

Quote Originally Posted by ciper View Post
    You misunderstand. He was saying "since LS isn't on the system yet I had to navigate manually and copy one over"
    Got it. Thx.
    Audio out of sync

Quote Originally Posted by enliteneer View Post
    This looks pretty sweet! Any plans for an S2 version?
    No, but an S2 should be similar, if not identical.

I did the prom mod, and pulled the drive to do the software but it's a pain to pull the drive everytime there's a tivo upgrade! Ideally, if I could put in in a usb enclosure, boot into linux, run a script that re-hacks it, *THAT* would be killer!!!!
    That's what the script does, and the Antec MX-1 has a USB port, as I recall. In any case, the e-SATA port works just fine.

I don't know anything about programming/scripting, but if someone can point me in the right direction, maybe I can modify it and post an s2 version?
    Feel free. I deliberately made the script very verbose and free of any clever routines so its mechanics should be easy to fathom.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 10-25-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

In the script, where do you put the data that changes what you can do on the Tivo (like unencryption). IE, these numbers:
    http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=307961

Quote Originally Posted by leeclarke View Post
    In the script, where do you put the data that changes what you can do on the Tivo (like unencryption). IE, these numbers:
    http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=307961
    'Sorry for the late reply. That was a separate hack. I've added the separate script to the original post and polished it a bit. I hope my polishing does not make it too difficult for noobs to see what is going on.

OK, I've finally decided I may go ahead and implement insitu hacking on my TiVos, or at least one of then. Two of my TiVos have external drives, but for various reasons that is not desirable on my third TiVo. This means the TiVo itself must be removed from the system and then the drive must be removed and hacked, and then everything must be put back together. Consequently, I have refrained from hacking it, because removing the TiVo and pulling the drive in that location is too difficult for me to make it worth doing every quarter or so.

Obviously, in order to fend off automated upgrades, one must employ the bootpage upgradesoftware=false option, but there seems to be a number of different ways to proceed once the the TiVo is pending restart. Is there a consensus on the best way to proceed once that happens? Are the slices unpacked and ready in the standby boot and root partitions once the system is pending restart, or does one need to force them to be unpacked?

Edit: Disregard. I just found this post.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 10-24-2010 at 06:38 PM.