Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

Quote Originally Posted by chumley View Post
    So unless I'm still misunderstanding something, I think I can proceed to install the update via installSw.itcl, followed by something like lhorer's postinstall script as discussed in this thread.
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ipted-upgrades

Am I on the right track now?
    Yes, you are definitely on the right track now. Next steps are to remove the reboot line from installSw.itcl, run it to install the new software then re-hack in place before rebooting into it. The scripted upgrades thread is a good guide... I seem to recall several threads along the same topic though, so there may be others. I tend to do it manually - this is my high-level overview of my process: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...035#post298035

Quote Originally Posted by chumley View Post
    I'll add that the only 2 issues I've noticed with version 11.0k are that the Video on Demand menu and Tivo Search do not work. Other functions including transfers from pyTivo seem to be working normally, so it's not absolutely necessary to update to 11.0m yet.
    If you wait too long you'll stop getting guide updates too.

-psxboy
    TCD652160 TivoHD
    1TB
    11.0n.J1-01-2-652

Yippee, I have successfully completed my update to 11.0m on my Tivo HD without pulling the drive! All functions are working normally again now that I'm on the latest software.

Thank you very much to djl, 1fatboy and psxboy for pointing me in the right direction, and to lrhorer for sharing your scripts!

I documented my procedure in the scripted upgrades thread here:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...280#post318280

I will admit that it took me longer to figure everything out than it would have to just pull the drive and rehack it that way, but with the info in that post, I think anyone who was able to hack their Tivo in the first place should be able to figure out how to do an update quickly. Of course now that I've gone through the learning curve, there will probably never be another update for the S3 Tivos!

Quote Originally Posted by spocko View Post
    Yippee, I have successfully completed my update to 11.0m on my Tivo HD without pulling the drive! All functions are working normally again now that I'm on the latest software.

Thank you very much to djl, 1fatboy and psxboy for pointing me in the right direction, and to lrhorer for sharing your scripts!
    Glad to hear it. I have to admit, I attempted the same thing, but failed b/c I forgot Jaime's kernel wasn't installed on the other boot partition. After rebooting, thinking it was all going to work, it just hung. Ended up pulling the drive and fixing it. Add to the fact I let too much time go before patching, I was starting to run out of guide data and other oddities started occurring. It was a miserable few days to get it all cleaned up.

Hi everyone !

Is there anyone getting the "Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0xedfebaeb)" error message when running mplayer to stream tivo recordings using a tivo s3 running lrhorer's script ?

Thanks!

Can you post a link to the script you're using? Different versions of streaming have deprecated over the years, but I just tried the s3tots version http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...-from-series-3 and it worked well. You have to install mfs_ftp, which is a pretty big undertaking...
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Hi. Thank you so much for the reply.
    What I am doing is based on this article:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/h/571

I use putty and I go in utils folder that is on my tivo and that was installed thanks to lrhorer script/hack.

I utils folder I run ./vserver and I get this msg:

waiting for connections on port 8074

Then I go in msdos and I go in the mplayer directory and I run mplayer tivo://192.XXX.X.X/1560058

Using GNU internationalization
    Original domain: messages
    Original dirname: /usr/share/locale
    Current domain: mplayer
    Current dirname: /usr/local/share/locale

MPlayer 0.90rc4-3.2 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Intel (Family: 6, Stepping: 5)
    Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
    CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
    Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directo
    ry
    Reading config file /cygdrive/c/Users/MB/.mplayer/config
    Reading /cygdrive/c/Users/MB/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 50 audio & 135 video codecs
    Font /cygdrive/c/Users/MB/.mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 char
    s)
    Using usleep() timing
    Can't open input config file /cygdrive/c/Users/MB/.mplayer/input.conf : No such
    file or directory
    Can't open input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf : No such file or
    directory
    Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config

Playing tivo://192.XXX.X.X/1560058
    Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0xedfebaeb)

I am completely lost. Please help. How do I install mfs_ftp ?

I looked at the link for the s3tots, could u please guide me step by step through this:

To install:
    patch your mfs_ftp.tcl with the enclosed diffs, using patch.
    Place s3tots and mfs_tsexport in your mfs_ftp directory.

I have no idea how to use patch.

Thanks!

Due to author's restrictions (from MANY years ago) we're not supposed to redistribute mfs_ftp. People were reselling it and making money off of his work. At this point, it's abandonware, so it might be worth it to see if he would mind if an updated version were posted. That said, tyftpd is much more reliable, and works without all of the hassle, but does not support s3tots.
    Anyway, that's all unnecessary background info. PM me your email address and I'll try to help you out.
    More software at http://davidlauria.com/software.
    The lost alt-rock masterpiece from the '90s, Range of Motion's "Soft Buzz of Silence", is now available on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    Hi everyone !

Is there anyone getting the "Not a TiVo super block! (magic=0xedfebaeb)" error message when running mplayer to stream tivo recordings using a tivo s3 running lrhorer's script ?

Thanks!
    Isn't that an error when not using the 64-bil mfs_utils for TivoHD? Make sure you are using these.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Where are the All-in-one utilities?

Where can I get Alpha Wolf's All-in-one utilities? I saw link to: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37602 but that thread seems to have been removed. archive.org, the 'internet wayback machine' has old copies of the page but not the attachments. I understand that you are supposed to be it directly from dealdatabase.com For that matter, where are all the attachments to this forum?

Has All-in-one been withdrawn

I searched the list of attachments for any posted by AlphaWolf and it came up empty. If you know the file name I can search for that. I looked for .zip and .tar files and didn't see anything obvious.

I don't know why attachment posts got deleted.
    Steve

Where are the attachments, I see people saying 'here's the file' but don't see them. Also, is there a link to just see the list of attachments?

No - I'm a forum admin (since vadim, the forum owner, doesn't keep up here so I volunteered). As an admin I can see all the attachments. There are currently 133 attachments, but most of them are boring things such as screenshots.
    Steve

Is dealdatabase out of the tivo moding business now that tools and software and some of the key threads are missing?

Current TiVos are mod-resistant, and the modding community has pretty much disbanded. The forum is still here as a resource, though I don't know why so many of the attachments disappeared. I'm really just an interested user who stepped in to moderate/administer when the forum was overrun by spammers. There are a few old-timers here with experience, so if you have questions, ask. (My TiVo modding experience stopped with the Series 2.)
    Steve

The files in my post in this thread linked below should be available. They are not attachments to the thread, but rather links to my personal website, so they should not evaporate.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script