Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Hacking an S3

reply follow
    Last edited by marcolisi; 08-24-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
    Glad you asked in this thread also...

Next you have to hack the software itself beginning with the kernel. This generally means pulling the drive and attaching it to a PC running linux or you can use one of the disk avail for this purpose. You can either neuter the kernel in the OS or replace the kernel with one of Jamie custom kernels. You can then disable the encryption and apply other hacks.

Do you have a Linux PC?
    Thank you so much for replying !!

No, I do not , but what I would do is this :

1) Get the tivo boot disk/iso from mfslive.org

2) create a FAT32 floppy disk in which I would copy the " hacked kernel" (My Question: where can I download the hacked kernel from ?)

3) put my tivo drive as slave and connect it to my pc

4) boot from the tivo boot disk

5) Use bootpage to figure out which the partition the active kernel is in.
    For this I should go to the "tivomad" directory (My Questions is: how do I go into that directory ? I know DOS commands , not linux commands :-( In dos I would type "cd tivomad".....how do I get in the directory in linux ?)

6) Next step, after being in "tivomad", is to type "bootpage hdb" (or hdd if your tivo is slave on the secondary ide controller) ......

"bootpage" will tell me what the current boot partition is: hda4 or hda7.

7) do the - to escape out of there without a change (My question is: do I have to type "-" to exit from the folder ? Is this what it means ? )

8) take the floppy disk with the hacked kernel image on it and put it in the drive a:

9) type "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt" (My question is: no idea what is this for....)

10) now type "cd /mnt" and do an "ls" to make sure the file is there. (My question: do I have to type "Is" ? )

11) now copy the ".gz file" (My Question is: I guess when they say ".gz file" , they mean the hacked kernel file) to "/" by typing "cp hacked-kernel.img.gz /"

12) now I type "cd /"

13) now I type "gzip -d hacked-kernel.img.gz" (I should have an img file in the / )

14) now do a
    "dd if=/hacked-kernel.img of=/dev/hdb3 bs=32k" if your boot partition was /dev/hda4
    or
    "dd if=/hacked-kernel.img of=/dev/hdb6 bs=32k" if your boot partition was hda7

(My Question is : No idea what is this)

(MY Questions is : when I do these steps ? Do I have to do them ? I am confused .....

3. Use DD to copy the kernel to a new file on the FAT32 drive. DO NOT RELY ON REPLACE_INITRD TO PROPERLY BACKUP THE KERNEL
    4. Use busybox.replace_initrd to patch the kernel.
    5. Copy tivoftpd, AlphaWolf's Tools to the tivo drive. (Get tivoftpd by expanding AlphaWolf's tools on the Fat32 drive. I find that AlphaWolf's tools need to be installed on a running tivo, so just copy the tar file to the tivo drive and wait until you are logged into the tivo via telnet to expand it.
    6. Create an rc.sysinit.author file on the tivo drive to start telnet and ftp at bootup. Chmod +755 rc.sysinit.author so it can be run.

Thank you so much !!

IMNSHO, my hacking scripts posted in this thread are the easiest way to hack a TiVo. I am virtually certain they are the fastest. See the link in my tagline. If you wish to employ them, then I will lend all the assistance I can. If not, then you will have to seek the assistance of others on this forum. You can employ them directly, or just use them as a guide for the necessary steps to hack your S3 class TiVo.

Quote Originally Posted by marcolisi View Post
    No, I do not , but what I would do is this :

1) Get the tivo boot disk/iso from mfslive.org
    This can be done, and it has been successfully done using my scripts. If you want me to help you directly, then I will insist on using a properly booted Linux system, however, not a live CD. After downloading a netinst CD, installing the current version (Wheezy) of Debian Linux only takes about 30 minutes for a minimal installation..

2) create a FAT32 floppy disk
    <shudder> None of my PCs even have floppy drive controllers any longer. If one of yours does, and also has enough SATA ports, then this will work. Otherwise, not. I recommend a CD or a USB drive, or in the case of a fully functioning Linux boot, just copy to the hard drive.

in which I would copy the " hacked kernel" (My Question: where can I download the hacked kernel from ?)
    That is one method. The one employed in my scripts is to neuter the kernel already on the TiVo. There is most assuredly nothing wrong with Jamie's kernels, and both methods have some drawbacks and some advantages. Search the files conference under Jamie's name to find the hacked kernels.

3) put my tivo drive as slave and connect it to my pc
    All TiVos S3 and above use SATA disks, not IDE. There is no such thing as a "slave" SATA disk.

4) boot from the tivo boot disk

5) Use bootpage to figure out which the partition the active kernel is in.
    For this I should go to the "tivomad" directory (My Questions is: how do I go into that directory ? I know DOS commands , not linux commands :-( In dos I would type "cd tivomad".....how do I get in the directory in linux ?)
    You would not do that in DOS if you were not in the root directory, and the same is true of most Linux shells. In DOS you would more generally type "cd \tivomad". In Linux, it's "cd /tivomad".

6) Next step, after being in "tivomad", is to type "bootpage hdb" (or hdd if your tivo is slave on the secondary ide controller) ......
    Uh-uh. Forget about IDE controllers. This is SATA. What's more, depending on the kernel version, it may be /dev/sdX. I think the MFS_Live CD uses a pretty old kernel, so it might still be hdX. All modern kernels would show the TiVo drive as sdX.

"bootpage" will tell me what the current boot partition is: hda4 or hda7.

7) do the - to escape out of there without a change (My question is: do I have to type "-" to exit from the folder ? Is this what it means ? )
    That doesn't sound like the bootpage command with which I am familiar. What's more, you need to know both the active boot partition and the active root partition. Although a root of sda4 is usually paired with a boot of sda3 and sda7 is usually paired with sda6, it is not always the case.

8) take the floppy disk with the hacked kernel image on it and put it in the drive a:

9) type "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt" (My question is: no idea what is this for....)
    Oddly enough, it mounts the floppy drive. The command "umount /mnt" will unmount the floppy.

10) now type "cd /mnt" and do an "ls" to make sure the file is there. (My question: do I have to type "Is" ? )
    No, that's "ls", not "is". All the distributed linux commands are lowercase, and it stands for "list".

11) now copy the ".gz file" (My Question is: I guess when they say ".gz file" , they mean the hacked kernel file) to "/" by typing "cp hacked-kernel.img.gz /"
    Yes. The comand "cp" is short for "copy". "/" is the root directory - essentialy the same as "\ in DOS.

12) now I type "cd /"

13) now I type "gzip -d hacked-kernel.img.gz" (I should have an img file in the / )

14) now do a
    "dd if=/hacked-kernel.img of=/dev/hdb3 bs=32k" if your boot partition was /dev/hda4
    or
    "dd if=/hacked-kernel.img of=/dev/hdb6 bs=32k" if your boot partition was hda7
    Not necessarily. It's very likely, but not a certainty. OTOH, there is no harm in issuing both commands. You would then wind up with both an active kernel and a backup kernel that have been hacked.

(My Question is : No idea what is this)
    That is not a question. What seems mysterious to you? I've employed many, many similar DOS commands back in the day.

(MY Questions is : when I do these steps ?
    When the PC is booted with the TiVo drive attached. Definitely before you place the drive back in the TiVo with some hacks in place. Any hacks will be blown away by a stock kernel.

Do I have to do them ?
    If you want to use one of Jamie's neutered kernels with backported drivers, then, "Yes". If you want to neuter the kernel on the TiVo, then, "No".

3. Use DD to copy the kernel to a new file on the FAT32 drive. DO NOT RELY ON REPLACE_INITRD TO PROPERLY BACKUP THE KERNEL
    4. Use busybox.replace_initrd to patch the kernel.
    No. If you are going to use one of Jamie's kernels, then it will already be neutered. Either way, the kernel partition won't fit on a floppy. Come to think of it, I'm not sure Jamie's kernels will, even when compressed.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 08-26-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Having trouble with TyTool? Try TyTool Documentation
    Need to hack an S3 / THD? Try S3 Hacking Script

Yes, pls, I would love your help and I would like to use your hacking scripts. Thank you so much !!
    I would appreciate your help very much. I just finished reading your replies to each of one of my questions . Thank you for taking the time to do so !!
    Pls, I would really appreciate if u could drive me through each single step to apply your Tivo hacking script .
    Thank you again for willing to offer your help to me.
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
    IMNSHO, my hacking scripts posted in this thread are the easiest way to hack a TiVo. I am virtually certain they are the fastest. See the link in my tagline. If you wish to employ them, then I will lend all the assistance I can. If not, then you will have to seek the assistance of others on this forum. You can employ them directly, or just use them as a guide for the necessary styeps to hack your S3 class TiVo.

This can be done, and it has been successfully done using my scripts. If you want me to help you directly, then I will insist on using a properly booted Linux system, however, not a live CD. After downloading a netinst CD, installing the current version (Wheezy) of Debian Linux only takes about 30 minutes for a minimal installation..

<shudder> None of my PCs even have floppy drive controllers any longer. If one of yours does, and also has enough SATA ports, then this will work. Otherwise, not. I recommend a CD or a USB drive, or in the case of a fully functioning Linux boot, just copy to the hard drive.

That is one method. The one employed in my scripts is to neuter the kernel already on the TiVo. There is most assuredly nothing wrong with Jamie's kernels, and both methods have some drawbacks and some advantages. Search the files conference under Jamie's name to find the hacked kernels.

All TiVos S3 and above use SATA disks, not IDE. There is no such thing as a "slave" SATA disk.

You would not do that in DOS if you were not in the root directory, and the same is true of most Linux shells. In DOS you would more generally type "cd \tivomad". In Linux, it's "cd /tivomad".

Uh-uh. Forget about IDE controllers. This is SATA. What's more, depending on the kernel version, it may be /dev/sdX. I think the MFS_Live CD uses a pretty old kernel, so it might still be hdX. All modern kernels would show the TiVo drive as sdX.

That doesn't sound like the bootpage command with which I am familiar. What's more, you need to know both the active boot partition and the active root partition. Although a root of sda4 is usually paired with a boot of sda3 and sda7 is usually paired with sda6, it is not always the case.

Oddly enough, it mounts the floppy drive. The command "umount /mnt" will unmount the floppy.

No, that's "ls", not "is". All the distributed linux commands are lowercase, and it stands for "list".

Yes. The comand "cp" is short for "copy". "/" is the root directory - essentialy the same as "\ in DOS.

Not necessarily. It's very likely, but not a certainty. OTOH, there is no harm in issuing both commands. You would then wind up with both an active kernel and a backup kernel that have been hacked.

That is not a question. What seems mysterious to you? I've employed many, many similar DOS commands back in the day.

When the PC is booted with the TiVo drive attached. Definitely before you place the drive back in the TiVo with some hacks in place. Any hacks will be blown away by a stock kernel.

If you want to use one of Jamie's neutered kernels with backported drivers, then, "Yes". If you want to neuter the kernel on the TiVo, then, "No".

No. If you are going to use one of Jamie's kernels, then it will already be neutered. Either way, the kernel partition won't fit on a floppy. Come to think of it, I'm not sure Jamie's kernels will, even when compressed.
    Last edited by marcolisi; 08-24-2013 at 10:32 PM.

IMNSHO, my hacking scripts posted in this thread are the easiest way to hack a TiVo. I am virtually certain they are the fastest. See the link in my tagline. If you wish to employ them, then I will lend all the assistance I can. If not, then you will have to seek the assistance of others on this forum. You can employ them directly, or just use them as a guide for the necessary styeps to hack your S3 class TiVo.

I have successfully installed Debian Linux

hi lrhorer,

I see the scripts are updated at step 39?
    Are they current to today?
    Which packages you list do we need?
    Can you do a step by step showing when to run on tivo, when to move to pc, etc etc? I did this hack years ago
    but just rcvd the new software.

Your stuff looks very complete, but a quick step by step would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by philhu View Post
    hi lrhorer,

I see the scripts are updated at step 39?
    Are they current to today?
    With the exception of the example hacks.fil, which is for 11.0k, they should work on all Series III class TiVos running release 10 or greater, and they should run on most linux distros with a kernel of 2.6.25 or greater and bash version 4.1 or greater. The hack_tivoapp script should work fine on a Series III TiVo running bash 2.02.0 or greater.

Which packages you list do we need?
    Well, all of them, except one only needs either a tivohacks32.tar for an original S3 or tivohacks64.tar for a THD. One may use one of my examples, or create their own. Creating one's own merely requires putting all the directories and files one wishes to have on the TiVo into an appropriate directory (like /tivo) on the hard drive, change to that directory (i.e. cd /tivo) and issue the command

Code:
    tar cvf tivohacksXX.tar *
    where XX is either 32 or 64, as appropriate.

Can you do a step by step showing when to run on tivo, when to move to pc, etc etc? I did this hack years ago
    but just rcvd the new software.
    If your TiVo is already running the new software, then it will be easiest just to pull the drive, install it in a PC, and run the hack_tivo script. If the TiVo is waiting for the upgrade to complete, then you can neuter the /tvbin/installSw.itcl script by replacing the `reboot` line with `exit 0`. Then you can perform the upgrade using Mike_s' guidelines found here:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ipted-upgrades

I use a modified version of Mike_s' postinstall script which incorporates my hack_tivoapp script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    nullinitrd="/var/hack/null-linuxrc.img.gz"
    rfpath="/var/hack/etc/rootfiles"
    nrpath="/var/hack/mnt"
    curpath="/var/hack/current.originals"
    oldpath="/var/hack/old.originals"
    bv="$nrpath/etc/build-version"

function quit {
      echo
      echo "$2 Quitting with exit code $1"
      exit $1
      }

echo
    echo "This script should only be run after running installSw.itcl"
    echo "It will identify the new kernel and root partitions, then killinitrd"
    echo "the new kernel and copy necessary files to the new root for hacks."
    echo "It also backs up any original files it modifies."
    echo
    echo
    echo "Getting partition info..."
    bootpage -p /dev/hda
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem with bootpage."

rootpart=$(bootpage -p /dev/hda)
    rootpart=${rootpart:5:9}
    kernpart=${rootpart:0:8}$(bootpage -b /dev/hda)

echo "New root is $rootpart, new kernel is $kernpart (one less)"
    echo "Enter \"Yes\" if this is correct, anthing else to exit."
    read confirm
    [ "$confirm" == "Yes" ] || quit 1 "User stop."
    echo -n "Mounting new root at $nrpath..."
    mkdir -p $nrpath
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem making directory $nrpath."
    mount $rootpart $nrpath
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem with \"mount $rootpart $nrpath\"."

echo "making directory for originals..."
    curpath=/var/hack/$(tail -n 1 $bv | awk '{print $2}').originals
    [ ! -f $curpath ] || quit 1 "Problem, $curpath already exists."
    mkdir $curpath

echo "copying kernel to $curpath/"
    dd if=$kernpart of=$curpath/kernel.killed bs=1024k
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem with dd from $kernpart."

echo -n "Doing killinitrd..."
    replace_initrd.mips $curpath/kernel.killed $nullinitrd $curpath/kernel.original
    #no check for now, doesn't return 0 properly
    #[ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem with killinitrd."
    echo "modified kernel is $curpath/kernel.killed"
    echo -n "Replacing kernel on $kernpart..."
    dd if=$curpath/kernel.killed of=$kernpart bs=1024k
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem with dd to $kernpart."
    echo "done."
    echo -n "Copying rc.sysinit.author, group, passwd, termcap, terminfo, profile, iptables to new root..."
    cp $rfpath/rc.sysinit.author $nrpath/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem copying rc.sysinit.author"
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/group ] || /var/hack/utils/touch $nrpath/etc/group
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/group.original ] || mv $nrpath/etc/group $nrpath/etc/group.original
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/group ] || cp $rfpath/group $nrpath/etc/group
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/passwd ] || /var/hack/utils/touch $nrpath/etc/passwd
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/passwd.original ] || mv $nrpath/etc/passwd $nrpath/etc/passwd.original
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/passwd ] || cp $rfpath/passwd $nrpath/etc/passwd
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/termcap.original ] || mv $nrpath/etc/termcap $nrpath/etc/termcap.original
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/termcap ] || cp $rfpath/termcap $nrpath/etc/termcap

[ -f $nrpath/etc/profile.original ] || mv $nrpath/etc/profile $nrpath/etc/profile.original
     [ -f $nrpath/etc/profile ] || cp $rfpath/profile $nrpath/etc/profile
     [ -f $nrpath/sbin/iptables.original ] || mv $nrpath/sbin/iptables $nrpath/sbin/iptables.original
     [ -f $nrpath/sbin/iptables ] || cp $rfpath/iptables $nrpath/sbin/iptables
     sync
    echo "done. Results:"
    ls -la $nrpath/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author $nrpath/etc/group* $nrpath/etc/passwd* \
           $nrpath/etc/termcap* $nrpath/etc/terminfo/v/* $nrpath/etc/profile* $nrpath/sbin/iptables*
    echo -n "Backing up originals to $curpath..."
    cp $nrpath/etc/*original $curpath/
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem copying from $nrpath/etc/*original to $curpath."
    cp $nrpath/sbin/*original $curpath/
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem copying from $nrpath/sbin/*original to $curpath."
    cp $nrpath/tvbin/tivoapp $curpath/tivoapp.original
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem copying $nrpath/tvbin/tivoapp to $curpath/tivoapp.original."
    echo "done. Results:"
    ls -la $curpath/*original

echo "Attempting to patch tivoapp..."
    SaveFile=/var/hack/Saved_Apps/tivoapp.tmp
    Archive=/var/hack/Saved_Apps/tivoapp.sav
    HackFile=/var/hack/hacks.fil
    dstring=`date +%m-%d-%y`
    cd $nrpath/tvbin
    echo Creating temporary tivoapp
    cp tivoapp $SaveFile

echo "Getting the hacking parameters for tivoapp..."
    Failure=1
    while read line
    do
            offset=$(( $(echo $line | cut -d" " -f1) - 0x00400000 ))
            oldword=$(echo $line | cut -d" " -f2 | sed s'/"//g')
            newword=$(echo $line | cut -d" " -f3 | sed s'/"//g')
            echo $oldword $newword $offset
            B1=$( dd if=tivoapp skip=$offset bs=1 count=4 2> /dev/null | hexdump | grep 0000000 | cut -c9-12 )
            B2=$( dd if=tivoapp skip=$offset bs=1 count=4 2> /dev/null | hexdump | grep 0000000 | cut -c14-17 )
            testword=$B1$B2
            echo $testword
            # Check to make sure the bytes match
            if [ "$testword" == "$oldword" ];
            then
                    echo Updating tivoapp $( echo $line | cut -d" " -f4)
                    # Convert the string into a 4 byte number expression
                    escape="\x"
                    H1=${newword:0:2}
                    H2=${newword:2:2}
                    H3=${newword:4:2}
                    H4=${newword:6:2}
                    newword=$escape$H1$escape$H2$escape$H3$escape$H4
                    echo -ne "$newword" | dd conv=notrunc of=$SaveFile bs=1 seek=$offset
            elif [ "$testword" == "$newword" ];
            then
                    echo Failed for $oldword $newword $offset
                    echo Tivoapp already has patch at this location.
                    exit 1
            else
                    echo Failed for $oldword $newword $offset Old value: $testword
                    test -e $SaveFile && rm $SaveFile
                    exit 1
            fi
    done < $HackFile
    echo Saving old tivoapp
    test -e $Archive.$dstring && mv $Archive.$dstring $Archive.$dstring.safety
    mv tivoapp $Archive.$dstring
    mv $SaveFile tivoapp
    echo
    echo Done!

echo "Attempting to patch installSw.itcl to remove reboot..."
    echo "sed -i 's/reboot/exit 0/' $nrpath/tvbin/installSw.itcl"
    sed -i 's/reboot/exit 0/' $nrpath/tvbin/installSw.itcl
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem with patching installSw.itcl."

echo -n "Umounting new root..."
    umount $nrpath
    [ $? -eq "0" ] || quit $? "Problem umounting $nrpath"
    echo "done."
    echo "Original files copied into $curpath. Reboot to use new system."
    Last edited by lrhorer; 08-26-2013 at 05:21 PM.

I have successfully installed Debian Linux
    OK, excellent. Did you install a desktop (GUI)? If not, it's no big deal, but if you did, we can make use of it to reduce the amount of typing. Assuming you do have a desktop, boot the linux machine, and open a terminal session as root. (There is a canned root Xterm, or you can open Konsole, type `su`, and supply the root password.) Issue the following commands:

Code:
    mkdir /hack
    apt-get install vim
    Open up a browser (IceWeasel is fine), open its configuration utility, and point it to save downloads in /hack. Browse to the link in my tagline (post #39 is this thread) and download all the packages listed in the post, although you will only require tivohacks32.tar.gz if you have an original S3 TiVo and only require tivohacks64.tar.gz if you have a THD. Note some of the packages have more stuff in them than you will strictly need, and some of it will need to be re-organized. In particular, you will only need the bootpage binary from the bootpage-20040921.zip package and from the tivopart-20040530.zip package you will need to extract the tivopart.x86 file and rename it to tivopart. The null-linuxrc.img.gz.zip file needs to be simply renamed to null-linuxrc.img.gz. This, plus a little clean-up can all be accomplished with the following commands:

Code:
    cd /hack
    mkdir zipfiles/
    unzip bootpage-20040921.zip bootpage
    mv bootpage-20040921.zip zipfiles/
    mv null-linuxrc.img.gz.zip null-linuxrc.img.gz
    tar -xzvf replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz replace_initrd.x86
    mv replace_initrd.x86.tar.gz zipfiles/
    unzip tivopart-20040530.zip bin/tivopart.x86
    mv bin/tivopart.x86 ./tivopart
    rmdir /hack/bin
    mv tivopart-20040530.zip zipfiles/
    At this point, issuing the `ls -l` command should return something very much like the following:

Code:
    Backup:/hack# ls -l
    total 916
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 431640 Oct  5  2004 bootpage
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    432 Aug 26 16:48 null-linuxrc.img.gz
    -rwxrwxr-x 1  500  501   6573 Feb  2  2007 replace_initrd.x86
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 475996 May 30  2004 tivopart
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root   4096 Aug 26 17:09 zipfiles
    Now issue the following commands:

Code:
    touch hack_tivo
    chmod 755 hack_tivo
    vim hack_tivo
    When the vim editor comes up, press the <Insert> key or press the letter "i". At the bottom of the screen, the word "-- INSERT --" should appear. Now move back to your browser and use the left mouse button to highlight all the text in the "hack_tivo" code window in post 39. Move the mouse cursor back to the window running vim and click the middle mouse button. All of the text from the web page should appear in the editor window. Press the <Esc> key followed by
    Code:
    :wq!
    This should return you to the bash prompt. Now follow the exact same steps for the hack_tivoapp script:

Code:
    touch hack_tivoapp
    chmod 755 hack_tivoapp
    vim hack_tivoapp
    ...etc.

Finally, use vim or whatever linux editor you like to create the hacks.fil configuration that tells hack_tivoapp what to do inside tivoapp. (Note: Do NOT use something like Notepad.exe to create / edit any of the text files.) If you do not want the hack_tivoapp script to do anything at this time, you can simply create an empty file:

Code:
    touch hacks.fil
    At this point, your /hacks directory should look very much like this:

Code:
    Backup:/hack# ls -l
    total 3692
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  431640 Oct  5  2004 bootpage
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     328 Aug 26 17:30 hacks.fil
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    5443 Aug 26 17:21 hack_tivo
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    3677 Aug 26 17:24 hack_tivoapp
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     432 Aug 26 16:48 null-linuxrc.img.gz
    -rwxrwxr-x 1  500  501    6573 Feb  2  2007 replace_initrd.x86
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2820678 Aug 26 17:30 tivohacks64.tar.gz
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  475996 May 30  2004 tivopart
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Aug 26 17:09 zipfiles
    The size of the hacks.fil configuration may be rather different, and if you have an S3 instead of a TiVoHD, then you would have a tivohacks32.tar.gz or tivohacks32.tar file instead of a tivohacks64.tar.gz or tivohacks64.tar file. (The script can handle both compressed and uncompressed tivohacksXX tarballs.) Otherwise, everything should be as you see here. If not, I strongly suggest you figure out why it is not before proceeding. Double-check that bootpage, replace_initrd.x86, tivopart, hack_tivo, and hack_tivoapp are all marked as executable and that all the other files are world readable.

At this point, you can attach your TiVo drive to the linux PC if you have not already done so. Most modern motherboards allow inserting SATA drives on a running PC, but if I were you I would shut down the PC entirely before attaching the drive. Boot the PC back up, if neccessary, and issue the following command:

Code:
    /hack/hack_tivo
    About a minute later, the system should return a "Done!" prompt, and the TiVo should be hacked. One thing that may cause an issue is using a USB => SATA converter, which may make the script think the hard drive is a giant floppy.
    Last edited by lrhorer; 08-26-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Note I have been meaning for just about forever to modify the TiVoWebPlus configuration in my tarballs to use port 8080 instead of the default port 80. I just now did so and uploaded them to my website.

Hi Irhorer, thank u so much for the reply.

OK, excellent. Did you install a desktop (GUI)?
    Yes it is on a desktop

open a terminal session as root. (There is a canned root Xterm, or you can open Konsole, type `su`, and supply the root password.)
    sorry, I have no idea what u mean. I have no idea about linux...sorry. I guess I type 'su' and I write the password
    I did that and I am in :

root@NETGEAR39-5G: /home/marcolisi#

Issue the following commands:

Code:
    mkdir /hack
    apt-get install vim
    I wrote the above in 1 line

Code:
    mkdir /hack apt-get install vim
    I do not know how to write in linux this way:

Code:
    mkdir /hack
    apt-get install vim
    Does it matter ?

when I write this way :

Code:
    I get again this

I gues it created directories because if I type again this:

Code:
    I am getting some "file exists" messages

About next step below :

Open up a browser (IceWeasel is fine), open its configuration utility, and point it to save downloads in /hack.
    Sorry, I have no idea how to do so :-(

I am so sorry, but I truly suck :-(
    Last edited by marcolisi; 08-26-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Open up a browser (IceWeasel is fine), open its configuration utility, and point it to save downloads in /hack.
    I do not think IceWeasel is installed. How do I install it ? How do I download it using my desktop running linux ?

I tried to install again linux.... I got this message:

configure the package manager
    the repository on debian.osuosl.org couldn't be accessed , so its update will not be made available to you .......

Thank you
    Last edited by marcolisi; 08-26-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Hi Irhorer, thank u so much for the reply.
    You are welcome, but it's lrhorer, if you please, not Irhorer.

sorry, I have no idea what u mean. I have no idea about linux...sorry. I guess I type 'su' and I write the password
    Type "su" (which stands for "switch user" and press <Enter>. When you are prompted for the root password, supply it and once again press <Enter>.

I did that and I am in :

Yes. The pound sign at the end of the prompt means you are now logged in to the session as the root user.

I wrote the above in 1 line
    Um... why would you do that? It's displayed on 2 lines in the reply, so why try to put it on one line? It is possible to issue two or more commands on a single line in linux, however. One uses the ";" separator. In order to put both comman ds on one line, one would type

Code:
    mkdir /hack; apt-get install vim
    There is really no point in doing this in this case, though. Just issue them on separate lines. On to create the /hack directory, and the other to install the vim editor.

I do not know how to write in linux this way:
    ????

Does it matter ?
    Yes.

I gues it created directories because if I type again this:
    You created one directory you wanted / needed and three you did not. It looks like you were in your home directory, so the three anomalous directories it created would be /home/marcolisi/apt-get, /home/marcolisi/install, and /home/marcolisi/vim. Having those three bogus directories there won't really hurt anything, except to create some clutter, but you did not get vim installed like we wanted, either. You need to issue the second command properly.

Sorry, I have no idea how to do so :-(
    If you installed a desktop, then it was probably the default desktop, which is Gnome. At the top left of the Gnome desktop are a couple of links that allow you to run various applications. That has to be how you launched the Xterm session. Poke around with the mouse until you find IceWeasel and then click on it.

I do not think IceWeasel is installed.
    IceWeasel is not installed? I was almost certain it was installed by default.

How do I install it ?
    Code:
    apt-get install iceweasel
    If it is already installed, the system will let you know. Otherwise, it will load the most recent version in the distro.

How do I download it using my desktop running linux ?
    You could hunt around the desktop for a package manager like Synaptic, but it's easier just to type `apt-get install iceweasel` at the terminal prompt.

I tried to install again linux.... I got this message:
    There is no reason to go to all the trouble to re-install the OS.

configure the package manager
    the repository on debian.osuosl.org couldn't be accessed , so its update will not be made available to you .......
    In what country do you live? It sounds like the mirror in the country you selected is down.

IceWeasel is not installed? I was almost certain it was installed by default.

Code:
    apt-get install iceweasel
    If it is already installed, the system will let you know. Otherwise, it will load the most recent version in the distro.

You could hunt around the desktop for a package manager like Synaptic, but it's easier just to type `apt-get install iceweasel` at the terminal prompt.

There is no reason to go to all the trouble to re-install the OS.

In what country do you live? It sounds like the mirror in the country you selected is down.
    Hi lrhorer, sorry for the mispel.
    I live in USA(NYC).

I reinstalled linux and it seems I solved the problems I had before regarding the browser.
    I have another problem though :-(
    I can not save your files in /hack folder....
    I set the folder to that location in the browser, but it keeps saving in the defauld download folder...if I try to manually move your files from the default download folder to the /hack folder, I get this message:

Error moving file : permission denied

Is it /hack folder protected ?
    Thank you for the explanation. I understand now. Each line of code, is 1 code and I have to hit enter to execute each line and move to the next.
    Marco
    Last edited by marcolisi; 08-27-2013 at 12:42 AM.

Hi Irhorer,

I went forward, but now I am stuck here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now issue the following commands:

Code:

touch hack_tivo
    chmod 755 hack_tivo
    vim hack_tivo

When the vim editor comes up, press the <Insert> key or press the letter "i". At the bottom of the screen, the word "-- INSERT --" should appear. Now move back to your browser and use the left mouse button to highlight all the text in the "hack_tivo" code window in post 39. Move the mouse cursor back to the window running vim and click the middle mouse button. All of the text from the web page should appear in the editor window. Press the <Esc> key followed by
    Code:

:wq!

------------------------------------------

My question is : I do not have the middle mouse button, can I just use the copy/paste option ?

Thank you